• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra ATX

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jacksparrow77

I recently bought this old MoBo to give some life to a dying machine. (pre-made e-machines) I notice my stock CPU cooler did not fit. The stock CPU cooler for my existing Intel 945g series mobo had a back plate with pass through risers to catch the threads coming from the CPU cooler. The NVIDIA nForce 650i Ultra ATX has a back plate that seems to be permanent and I need longer screws to bolt down the existing CPU cooler.

I was gonna buy a CPU cooler w/fan from my favorite vendor that fits LGA 775 boards. I don't know how to tell if the screws will be long enough. I never noticed this problem with 2 MoBo's that fit the same CPU but need different CPU coolers.

I assume if i buy a standard CPU cooler/fan combo for that socket standard I will be ok. Is there anything special I need to know?

Ive never seen a perm back plate on a 775... I would try carfully to remove the back plate.. I might just be stuck..Ive used MANY different 775 boards with ALOT of different CPU coolers and never had kinda problem.. The only problems i no of.. Is the cooler being to big and hitting the case or hitting the RAM sticks.

OK think of the back plate as simply with the threads flush to the board with 4 metal risers that pass through the MoBo for the Heat sink to screw down to.

The CPU cooler from the old MoBo needs that special back plate with the pass through threaded risers so it can screw into it with its shorter stubby screws. So by the back plate's risers passing through the MoBo it changes how far the screws from the Heat-sink have to reach to screw in. The (risers) as i call them work like a MoBo standoff.

I may pull the MoBo again and try...but it seemed like that back plate was on there pretty good. I was afraid to apply more pressure for fear of damaging my board. The board works and i have a new CPU cooler on the way from one of my favorite vendors. I may wait to see what the new CPU cooler looks like before pulling system apart again.

Thanks for weighing in on this.

O i understand what the back plate is used for, My Corsair H100 has one and few others ive has had one., But ive never seen a permanent one b4,I have 4 different nforce boards and none have a backplate stuck to them. I even have a gigabyte 650 sli. What kinda cooler did you decide on?

ordered a
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835999012

so very nice now...the case can stand up because the cpu cooler is attached. And I found out not to route some cables behind the MoBo even if you think it will not puncture or rub through the cables. Can cause it not to boot. I had that for about a day and 1/2 and couldn't figure it out. All is well now.

Last edited:
Back