• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT case fan

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDMStanced

Hi,
I'm planning to add a 140mm fan for intake for my NZXT phantom case.
Could you give me a suggestion on which fan with blue LED to buy? It needs to be quiet.

Since this is my first time doing a mod to my pc, i don't know how to hook up the fan wires.. Is there a DIY for this?
Thank you

I'd buy an RGB LED strip from IceModz and then buy a good quality fan.
The vast majority of LED fans are crap.

I just got some 120MM NZXT blue LED fans to put in my case. I am running them because they were given to me for free, but the look very nice, much better than the case fans that came in my Antec 900. I havent installed them yet, maybe tonight I will do it. Will report back on what i think. It is safe to assume the NZXT fans probably arent top quality and there are probably better fans out there, but its a fan and it will get the job done and look good while doing it.

I just got some 120MM NZXT blue LED fans to put in my case. I am running them because they were given to me for free, but the look very nice, much better than the case fans that came in my Antec 900. I havent installed them yet, maybe tonight I will do it. Will report back on what i think. It is safe to assume the NZXT fans probably arent top quality and there are probably better fans out there, but its a fan and it will get the job done and look good while doing it.

Would you be able to make a quick diy for me? How it mounts and wires hook up..
i never done it before

Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan
would this work well with nzxt phantom?

I'd buy an RGB LED strip from IceModz and then buy a good quality fan.
The vast majority of LED fans are crap.

Which Phantom do you have exactly? There are a few different models.

Which Phantom do you have exactly? There are a few different models.

Phantom 410 mid tower.

Should i get this:

Or should i get two of this and replace the stock front?
Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators (Value 2-Pack)

Or buy a Value 3-pack, and install bottom 120mm, and replace 2 front intake?

Sickleflow 120 has 2000RPM speed and most others are 1200 RPM range.

Last edited:
Friend.... they just plug in. 3 pin header or 4 pin header. There isn't a DIY for this. They just plug into the CPU or System fan headers on your motherboard or on a fan controller if you have it. You can check which headers to plug them into if you look at your motherboard manual.

As far as how to mount a fan, there are four screws.

Last... regarding the airflow of the fan (which direction its blowing in) if you can read the specifications on the sticker, its blowing towards your face (or just plug it in before you mount it and check).

Phantom 410 mid tower.

Should i get this:

Or should i get two of this and replace the stock front?
Cooler Master Sleeve Bearing 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators (Value 2-Pack)

Sickleflow 120 has 2000RPM speed and most others are 1200 RPM range.

Get off of the LED fans, I'm telling you they're crap for a reason.

Grab two of these:
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfs12bredux1200pwm

And one of these:
http://icemodz.ecwid.com/#!/Custom-...and-RF-Controller/p/22177940/category=5346676

Then you get better fans AND better lights...

Thanks for quick reply.
NZXT phantom 410 has a switch to control fan speed. I'm guessing that this fan controller has enough plugs for 2 more extra fans.
How exactly do i remove the outer shell from the structure so that i have access to the fan?

Friend.... they just plug in. 3 pin header or 4 pin header. There isn't a DIY for this. They just plug into the CPU or System fan headers on your motherboard or on a fan controller if you have it. You can check which headers to plug them into if you look at your motherboard manual.

As far as how to mount a fan, there are four screws.

Last... regarding the airflow of the fan (which direction its blowing in) if you can read the specifications on the sticker, its blowing towards your face (or just plug it in before you mount it and check).

- - - Updated - - -

I thought CM ones are OK because it has alot of good reviews. But, you know better than i do.
i will buy Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan
Thanks!

Get off of the LED fans, I'm telling you they're crap for a reason.

Grab two of these:
https://pcpartpicker.com/part/noctua-case-fan-nfs12bredux1200pwm

And one of these:
http://icemodz.ecwid.com/#!/Custom-...and-RF-Controller/p/22177940/category=5346676

Then you get better fans AND better lights...

Thanks for quick reply.
NZXT phantom 410 has a switch to control fan speed. I'm guessing that this fan controller has enough plugs for 2 more extra fans.
How exactly do i remove the outer shell from the structure so that i have access to the fan?

It has snaps, you just pull straight forward.
The manual on the NZXT website details this.

http://downloads.nzxt.com/manuals/Phantom-410-manual-multi-language.pdf

- - - Updated - - -

I thought CM ones are OK because it has alot of good reviews. But, you know better than i do.
i will buy Noctua NF-S12B redux-1200 PWM 59.1 CFM 120mm Fan
Thanks!

If you found reviews that actually test CFM, static pressure, and dBa you'll see how much they don't stack up against good fans.

See my replies in red above, along with a link.

One last question, i think :), i usually keep my Phantom at mid fan speed range (fan controller that comes with the case)
Would it be fine if i just use the flat 1200RPM fan connected to case fan controller? I would think that keeping the fan running at high speed all the time isn't good.
I don't do anything hardcore on my pc. It's usually just playing League of Legend or Photoshop or web searching.

Fans can run their rated speeds for at least the life of their warranty... its what they are made to do.

One last question, i think :), i usually keep my Phantom at mid fan speed range (fan controller that comes with the case)
Would it be fine if i just use the flat 1200RPM fan connected to case fan controller? I would think that keeping the fan running at high speed all the time isn't good.
I don't do anything hardcore on my pc. It's usually just playing League of Legend or Photoshop or web searching.

Yes, that's fine for connecting to the case fan controller.
No, running the fans at full speed won't shorten lifespan.

Yes, that's fine for connecting to the case fan controller.
No, running the fans at full speed won't shorten lifespan.
I'll just buy the Noctua without PWM. While i was re-applying TIM on CPU, i looked around to see where i could plug the fan.
Then, found this. On MOBO. It has 3 and 4 pins

I wanted to confirm that this is the one to plug in to.

i got one Noctua SSO Bearing Fan Retail Cooling NF-S12B redux-1200
and another one, Zalman F3 FDB (SF) Ultra Quiet 120mm

i feel that Zalman F3 fan blows more air than Stock NZXT case fan.
But Stock NZXT case fan blows more air than Noctua fan.. something sounds wrong.
I plugged both of them to MOBO.
Zalman was plugged in to 3 pin as it comes 3 pin
But i plugged Noctua fan in to 4 pin even though it comes 3 pin. (i couldn't find anywhere else with 3 pin)

And Noctua didn't come with an adapter or anything..

Back