• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT H440 Air Flow

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cctaylor88

Registered
Currently trying to figure out how I want to place fans in my NZXT H440, what I mean by this is simple intake/exhaust. I was under the assumption that you use SP fans for radiators, which is what I use them for currently. Currently all I have setup is a Corsair H115i set up as a front mounted radiator with the two stock fans set as intake. I am thinking that I want a 140mm exhaust fan on the rear panel of the case but other than that I am just lost.

Have also heard that the H440 has a very "restricted top fan vent" and that it would be best to use SP intake fans here, but I don't know if this is warranted.

Anyways, just looking for some simple suggestions (I don't need to know how to calculate CFM etc). Current setup = front mounted radiator with two SP intakes, that's it. Brand new build if you're wondering. Thanks in advance

AF (AirFlow) = case, SP (Static Pressure) = cooler, front/down -> intake, top/back -> exhaust

NZXT_Switch_810.png

Fantastic picture thank you... do you think my front mounted radiator with two SPs set as intake is enough intake and I can just throw an exhaust fan or two on the rear/top of the case?

Would not know as i never had watercooling sorry, but as a rule of thumb the best setup would be to keep a ratio of 1:1 on the number of intake/exhaust fans, so if you got 2 in, you need to have 2 out ?

Would not know as i never had watercooling sorry, but as a rule of thumb the best setup would be to keep a ratio of 1:1 on the number of intake/exhaust fans, so if you got 2 in, you need to have 2 out ?

Much appreciated, I really need to update my sig don't I?!

Thanks for your advice.

It really depends if you want positive, neutral, or negative air pressure

right now you have positive pressure, since you are using the H115i as the pic shows you can place 1 140mm on the rear, and 1 140mm which would achieve netural air pressure

you can also pop more exhaust fans in to get negative pressure which would get rid of heat in the case as quickly as possible but you will be battling dust

It really depends if you want positive, neutral, or negative air pressure

right now you have positive pressure, since you are using the H115i as the pic shows you can place 1 140mm on the rear, and 1 140mm which would achieve netural air pressure

you can also pop more exhaust fans in to get negative pressure which would get rid of heat in the case as quickly as possible but you will be battling dust

Roughly, yes, but there are other variables. SP fans don't move as much air (generally) as AF fans, plus there's a restriction on the front intake with the radiator and whatever front panels/etc. So chances are at the same speeds (which is another variable), with 2 intake and 2 exhaust you'll still end up with negative/positive air pressure depending on the radiator location/orientation.

Also, on the note of fan speed, one thing I encourage water coolers to do is to get a fan splitter/controller that can handle at least all but one fan in your system, and use that to set all but the rear exhaust. Connect the rear exhaust to the CPU_FAN header, and use BIOS/software to control that fan independently of the others. This way, you can control the pressure inside the case. One reason I recommend it is that you can set it up to have positive pressure under a certain temp to keep dust out better, and negative pressure when it starts to get warm to aid in cooling.

how do you like the case. i was thinking of buying this one. some one mentioned the fractle R5 but i like the look of this one.

how do you like the case. i was thinking of buying this one. some one mentioned the fractle R5 but i like the look of this one.

H440 is more stylish, but the R5 has a lot more space to play around with (+ soundproofing) :thup:

i watched a review
andit left me on the fence. i think the optical drive and the extra room behind the motherboard tray is going to tip me in that direction. also they said that both cases had about the same air flow for cooling.

IMO the R5's true strength is that it's completely modular and very easy to work with/alter, I didn't need screwdriver for anything except the drive bays and fans, couple it with space for 9x140mm + soundproofing + extra space behind the mobo + really good air flow makes it any modder's wet dream. Personally I love the simplistic look but there's also a window variant. Check out Jay2Cents review on it, he goes on about the space for water cooling mounts :)

Last edited:
Back