• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NZXT Tempest case reviews

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Just got this in a few hours ago (after UPS kept playing ping pong with the box in KY for a while, turning a "3 days select" into 7 days actual shipping) :mad:

The box is quite huge and has a convenient carrying handle for easy transport. Most boxes for case I've seen were plain brown with black prints but this one came in a nice looking box.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05054a.JPG

The case overall looks very similar to Antec 900 but it is a bit wider and deeper. The power, reset, sound, 2x USB, and SATA ports are accessed on top near the front so it's a big plus if you normally leave the case on floor or somewhere low but negative if you have the case on top of the desk. The front drive face plates are all meshed with foam backing for dust and sound control: (ignore the hairs on the right side, my cat was curious about the case)

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05052a.jpg

3 face plates on top and 3 on bottom are snap on and 3 in middle are screwed in so keep that in mind when you need to take the case apart for 5.25" drives. The front plastic is somewhat brittle, my front panel came in with a couple broken posts. Nothing a little epoxy can fix. The front panel has 2 vertical light bars and a hard drive activity light on the left side near bottom. I may just plug the HD light into mobo power and use the light bar with HD activity just to be different. I will probably need to use a driver transistor since I doubt the motberboard is designed to drive more than 1 LEDs.

The case also came with a single 5.25" to 3.5" drive bay with open face for floppy drive or 3.5" removable drives of any types. It is in black but doesn't feature any matching mesh so it will stick out a bit if you wanted all mesh front. If I need a 3.5" on front, I will need to pester an Antec 900/1200 owner that has a spare not being used. :)

The side panel has a window (obviously) and it sticks out a bit like a bay window. My case came with a protective plastic sheet covering the window.

Inside of the case:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05053a.jpg

Quite a lot of space with 3x 5.25" drive bay plus 2 hard drive cage holding a total of 8 3.5" drives. The cage can be removed to have 3 more 5.25" bays. The 2 120mm fans (with LEDs) on front are both attached to the case itself so if you need to remove the fan or clean the fan filter screen you will have to pop the front panel off.

There is another 120mm fan on the back (factory mounted as exhaust, can probably flip if needed) and 2x 140mm fans on top so plenty of air flow. The PSU is mounted on the bottom and the mounting frame on the back can be removed so if you have to mount the PSU in certain orientation you can simply unscrew the frame and flip it around. The 4th 120mm is mounted on the window, just above where the PSU would be mounted.

So that's a total of 6 fans already installed. All of the fans can be used with either 4 pin drive or 3 pin mobo connector and all fans have RPM sense line. So all 6 fans could be used with the fan controller without the need of 3 pins <--> 4 pins adapter.

There are 2 oval slots on the side of the mobo plate for wire management. So far I have not found any sharp edges, all of the edges seems to be rolled and the open slots on back seems to be sanded or deburred at factory. No more fingers decorated in band-aids that has red polka dots. :santa: (unlike the last case I got 7 months ago, all razor sharp edges!)

The whole case is made of steel (based on a simple magnet test, aluminum don't attract magnets) The top part is plastic and can be removed for access to fans. The front panel is also plastic but the mesh plates are all steel.

There are 2 holes on the back of the case for water cooling system. With rubber grommet in place, it is just a hair under 0.51 in (13mm) and with the grommet removed , 0.59" (15mm) so WC tube with max O.D. of 1/2 in can be used. Larger tubes will not fit without a little mod.

There are 4 screw holes on top of the case between the 140mm fans for mounting rads. My Danger Den Ultra X 240 fits there but I will need to trim the side of the 140mm fans so I could mount 2 screws:

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05056a.jpg

So it's another minor set back for me. Not sure how other radiator mounts but if it's via long bolt, then this mod is probably not needed. Danger Den rad is almost as wide as the shroud, and the shroud is hard welded in place so no through bolt can be used. :(

No, you cannot use a 3x120mm because it would block the top button/port panel and you would need to either route the cabling another way or give up the top panel completely. It would also mean the top most 5.25" bay couldn't be used unless you get something like front USB/memory card/etc panel or fan bays.

I did notice the 140mm fans on top has holes on the side that is just the right size for a standard 5mm LEDs. So if you want a light up top you can probably install LEDs

Another picture

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05049a.JPG

The label for motherboard standoff are conveniently placed on the motherboard back. The "flex ATX" I'm guessing are the "universal" mounting that lets you use any ATX form without needing to change the standoffs. You can also use mATX, ATX, and E-ATX board properly mounted as well if you don't plan to change.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05045a.jpg

Other than broken posts, the side cover came in with 5 major visible scratches. :mad::mad::mad: I contacted NZXT about this, they are out of spare part so I will have to see if I can RMA just the panel and not the whole case. The whole case boxed is 28 pounds so shipping the whole thing over one major damage is going to be expensive and dumb.

cool- i was looking for that :)!!
still cant decide betweek the antec 900,NZXT TEMPEST , and NZXT LEXA BLACKLINE

Paid $110 + shipping from Newegg. I checked around, there were only 2 I can find that sells for less but both charged a lot more shipping so Newegg ended up being the cheapest reputable dealer.

I've played around with the case as I moved my PC gut in, leak tested the new WC rig, etc. I can't give the case a 5/5 at all because the plastic panel were doing the rice krispies imitation (the snap, the crackle, and the pop part) every time I tried to change or move something. Defiantly need to bug NZXT later for replacement parts. Hopefully NZXT would plan on using more durable plastic in the future.

When installing the rad, you will want to put the top panel back on before installing mobo. Otherwise you will have a hard time putting in 2 screws on the right side, and that side of the top panel would be loose. Also I think I know why Danger Den rad isn't listed as compatible rad. When installed, it blocked access to 1 screw hole on the left side, making the top panel on the left side slightly loose.

The enclosed manual has an error. It mentioned 4 screws holding the top panel but there are actually 8 total. 2 are on front and you will have to remove the front panel first. Other 6 are underside on top.

The audio cable has a nice feature most case with front audio don't have: multiple plugs. This case has 3 different plugs: one for HD-Audio, one for legacy AC'97, and a set of individual plugs for non standard audio headers. The enclosed manual has a pinout diagram and wiring instruction for Asus boards so you won't have to scratch your head on figuring it out. :santa:

Hard drives installed:
http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05058a.jpg (yeah old PATA drives but I had these for a while and I won't toss them aside just because they don't have SATA. They will be replaced when they burn up.

Ignore the 2010 cart you see in the back, it fell down from the game rack when I took the picture.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05060a.JPG The front with a single optical drive installed.

http://personalpages.tds.net/~wilykat/DSC05066a.JPG with the lights running. They are not glaring bright like some cheap PC cases.

I have this case and the rear top 140mm case fan was in-op when I got it. Unfortunately I did not notice this until after I hooked everything up, also NZXT said it will take 3 weeks to get a replacement. All the fans that come with this case are total CRAP, they only spin at about 1100RPM max. I replaced the rear and side 120mm fans with Antec Tri-cools. 4ghz_or_bust, how hard is it to replace these top fans? Will I have to take out the motherboard to do so? I gave this case a 3/5 review at newegg

With everything in place, you will have a hard time getting those fans out. The 3 screws on top along the motherboard plate holding the top panel down would be a tight reach when mobo is installed. Especially if you have large CPU heat sinks.

Also you will have to loosen and slide any 5.25" drives so you can pop the front cover off to get to the 2 screws on front holding the top down.

There is a total of 8 screws that hold the top panel down. The fans itself is much easier to remove when you have the top off.

With everything in place, you will have a hard time getting those fans out. The 3 screws on top along the motherboard plate holding the top panel down would be a tight reach when mobo is installed. Especially if you have large CPU heat sinks.

Also you will have to loosen and slide any 5.25" drives so you can pop the front cover off to get to the 2 screws on front holding the top down.

There is a total of 8 screws that hold the top panel down. The fans itself is much easier to remove when you have the top off.

Well, my processor is being RMA'd so my heatsink is not installed. I hope they send a decent set of instructions with their replacement fan. When I found out what size those fans are I am going to look for after market replacements and possibly install something that will last longer then 6 months. This case is a hell of a lot more expensive then $110 after buying replacement fans that actually move air!

:shrug:I am sorry, but my case has only 4 screws holding down the top panel and two on the front, I am not sure why yours had 6+2. It was kind of a pain in the *** to remove but only the back top screw gave me problems with my motherboard installed. I just put in my replacement fan up top and got it all put back together. NZXT did not send a manual on how to replace the fan so I spent a little while trying to find your mysterious 2 extra top screws before I realized that the top was fully disconnected.:mad:

Mine did have 6 on top. Maybe they were saving $0.02 by leaving out 2 screws on later runs of Tempest cases?

As for the fan, officially its a 140mm for the top but you should be able to use any smaller sized fans with the brackets to compensate for mounting holes. 120mm is much easier to find anyway.

A year later, I'm still using this case. Only new problem that came up is one LED burned out. Unfortunately it's for the front vertical bar lights so I ended up unplugging both of it. I checked with my meter, the burned out LED won't register anything while the other LED still lit up at about 3v. I may replace it since it's a common 3mm LED but right now the bars are unlit.

All 6 of the fans that came with the case are still running, 3 of them with all LEDs still working.

As for the fan, officially its a 140mm for the top but you should be able to use any smaller sized fans with the brackets to compensate for mounting holes. 120mm is much easier to find anyway.

hey...im new to this....im wanting to replace the 140mm with 120mm higher CFM...as i can't find good quality 140mm high rpm 60+ CFM fans in aus....

how do i mount them onto the case, and do i need to buy this extra bracket, or is it part of the case itself?

MICK

I've had two face panels lose an led

A year later, I'm still using this case. Only new problem that came up is one LED burned out. Unfortunately it's for the front vertical bar lights so I ended up unplugging both of it. I checked with my meter, the burned out LED won't register anything while the other LED still lit up at about 3v. I may replace it since it's a common 3mm LED but right now the bars are unlit.

All 6 of the fans that came with the case are still running, 3 of them with all LEDs still working.

I'm on my second face panel, the right front keeps going. I'm going to try it again. they're cheap on http://store.nzxt.com/category_s/27.htm. It's just a pain to rewire, I have to take hard drive cage out etc. I've got all my wireing tied up and tucked under there.

FWI I own this case...

just found out that it does not support tri SLI with BFG GTX 280's... possibly no tri sli on any card.

Without modding I mean.

Using the bottom slot the case has a metal tab that is folded up and does not allow the card to seat. It's annoying.

No doubt a quick snip with maybe(hopefully) pliers will work.

Just thought I'd mention it... in case your looking for this case with tri sli... and, uh, don't own pliers.

Back