• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O/C adventures with 2.0A/Abit IC7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

batboy

Senior Moment
As some of you may already know from reading my ramblings in other posts, I now have a brand spanking new Abit IC7 dual channel DDR Canterwood chipset (i875) motherboard. Since my new 2.6C/800 MHz bus Northy is on backorder, I've been amusing myself by playing with my 2.66/533 CPU and just this afternoon with a 2.0A/400 CPU.

Yes it's official, I was able to run the 400 bus Northy on the IC7 with no trouble at all. The Abit website and some of the vendors selling the IC7 have a disclaimer posted that the IC7 does NOT support 400 bus CPUs. Not only did this little C1 stepping 2.0A run ok at default, but I also had lots of fun overclocking it.

Here are the stats on this jewel:

2 GHZ/512/400/1.525V
SL6GQ MALAY
L245A703-0229

Bottom line... it overclocks better than my 2.66 (which I benchmarked at 3.26 gig on the IC7). By now you're saying... come on Bat... stop with all of the suspense and give us the scoop! How does 3.4 gig at 170 FSB using the 4:5 memory ratio sound? I got Sandra memory bandwidth benchies that say 4204/3636. Ok, so it's not Prime95 stable and the vcore was a tad high, I did play Unreal II for a while with no problem.

Can't wait for my new D1 stepping 2.6C/800 bus Northy to arrive. I love this new IC7, it rocks! Very stable and perdictable, chock full of features and lots of settings to tweak. I flashed the BIOS with the version 1.1 update and the RAM timing bug disappeared, bless you Abit!

sounds good. im seriously on the fence over the P4C800 non delux (if it ever comes) or the IC7. the ram voltages maxes out at 2.8 on that board rite?

Yes, vdimm only goes up to 2.8v, but I suspect someone will figure out a volt mod very soon. So far it don't seem like the dual channel DDR chipsets like super aggressive RAM settings, so I'm guessing an excessively high vdimm won't do you much good anyway.

batboy,

tell me what timings you are using at 170fsb and 4/5 ratio...
also what voltage.

I may flash if it's alot better then the old one.
I just don't want to flash every other week.

mica

I was using 2.7v (just to be sure, not because I had to) and timings were 2.5, 7, 3, 3.

Back