• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC 530J 955, 945, 865 chipset

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

glenda17

Registered
Building a new system after 2.5 years with a 2.4B. This is based on a 3.0 530J EO prescott. I have seen a lot of good OC's with the 865 chipset. There is little info on what the new 955 and 945 chipsets are doing. Ofcourse this would be with an ABIT or Asus board. I am leaning toward the ASUS P5WD2 so I can go dual core when the support matures, but not at the +$100 pricetag if it doesn't overclock as well as the older boards.

The Asus board should overclock better than the older boards, and it should be a little easier too. Most of the older boards need a volt mod to do very well.

I would recommend going with the 955 chipset for future proofing, if nothing else.

speed bump said:
My 875p-t does well but I can't wait for enough money for an Asus P5wd2 those things clock like no motherboard should be allowed to.
Yes I agree. I just wish I had a multiplier to make the most out of it. What I really need is 12X

Ross is getitng way over 300FSB, in the range of 365FSB on his P5WD2 Premium, though he did volt mods. My dud CPU with this multiplier BS is holding me back. Put it this way, 4.0ghz is almost a guarantee on the new 955 chipset\5xx\6xx.

glenda17 said:
Building a new system after 2.5 years with a 2.4B. This is based on a 3.0 530J EO prescott. I have seen a lot of good OC's with the 865 chipset. There is little info on what the new 955 and 945 chipsets are doing. Ofcourse this would be with an ABIT or Asus board. I am leaning toward the ASUS P5WD2 so I can go dual core when the support matures, but not at the +$100 pricetag if it doesn't overclock as well as the older boards.

955x is doing better than 865/875 and asus p5wd2 is the current favourite, so ur good there
also consider getting a 630 cpu, same price and they clock even better from what I hear

D

And the i955x Asus has more robust power circuitry than it's LGA775/i865 siblings...a very good thing when OCing Prescotts, IMNSHO! :cool:

Strat

Back