• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC Anime Club

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My recent watching list isn't very full but here are the ones I am following or was following in the past few months.

Bleach
It just keeps gettning better, and that's not something you see very often so if you haven't started following this series PM me or anyone you know that's colelcting episodes.

Pani Poni Dash
This is like Azumanga Daioh but on a pixie-stik fueled sugar high. There's heaps of contextual humor that obviously is hard to follow, but the rest of the humor is very subtle and takes a second to seep in. A few of the episodes so far I had to rewatch after remembering things I didn't catch in the first sitting. This series is confusingly funny and may not be for everyone but it's one I'll be following for a while.

Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
Also very fast and very very strange, but the humor doesn't require intimate knowledge of japanese culture. It's just so weird and character chemistry is so strange that I could resist watching all three sets of the show. The order is as follows.
1. Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu
2. Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Deluxe
2. Jungle Wa Itsumo Hale Nochi Guu Final!

Cromartie High School
Very trippy and similar in some respects to Jungle Wa Itsumo, but very very pointedly pokes fun at cultural stereotypes. It's just absurdly funny in a way I can't quite explain. Definitely worth recommending to anyone because it just has such a strangely universal appeal. Much like Azumanga has but minus the inherent draw of cuteness. Haven't been able to get ahold of anything beyond episode 26.

SteamBoy
Was far better than I expected due to reviews being hyper-critical. Had interesting characters, a good story, and was really fun to watch.

Stellvia of the Universe
So far so good. Only up to episode 8 and it seems a bit "safe". The characters haven't really shown any complexity yet so in some ways it's quite similar to any typical school drama.

Naruto
Great potential, but went the way of many anime in that it didn't develop any of the characters and the storylines just got longer and more repetitive. I gave up on this one around episode 150.

Mai Otome
Started watching it, but stopped when I realized that it's only getting more and more fan-servicey as the story progress. I was also unaware how lurid the source material was... Stopped watching after only 7 episodes.

On my "to-do" list

+ Great Teacher Onizuka
+ Black Cat (will start watching this soon)
+ Samurai 7 (tried to watch this earlier through fansub)

shard said:
A movie that I realy want to get my hands on, The Place Promised In Our Early Days. Looks damn good!
It was okay. I don't want to give anything away but it was really slow and there was no real message or metaphor to the story or characters so it felt kind of empty and pointless. It was really beautiful to watch, the story just stunk.

Xenocide said:
only thing i really watch is full metal alchemist, i can't stand subs so i always wait for dubbed episodes :-/
Maxvla said:
subs >>>>>>>> dubs
Extremely true in the case of full metal alchemist which has some of the worst dubbing and dialogue editing. WHich is sad because it's such a good series that doesn't deserve such treatment.

Last edited:
wtf is up with bleach? usually get my bleach on tuesday nights but its still not up :(

Maxvla said:
subs >>>>>>>> dubs

ugh :eek:

That's really a personal preference thing. There are fantastic dubs out there, such as the Noir dub and the FLCL dub. There are also horrible dubs, like the Dirty Pair Flash dub (which has to be just about the worst dub I've ever heard, save for maybe Love Hina).

If a person wants to watch anime in their own native language, I think they should have that choice. Some people don't like reading subtitles, or can get more out of it if they can pay closer attention due to not having to read them. Some people enjoy the original language. Some people (like myself) can enjoy both. :)

shard said:
A movie that I realy want to get my hands on, The Place Promised In Our Early Days. Looks damn good!

You might do good searching for it's American title: Beyond the clouds, the Promised Place. Alternately, you may also want to check out the Voices of a Distant Star DVD. It's a little vinette by the same director. It also has a cool little short called She and her Cat, which I actually enjoyed a bit more than Voices itself.

I tried to watch Voices of a distant star, it was just too boring for me to finish and I found the art style to be annoying.

Most Blockbusters that stock anime will have a copy of "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" under that exact title so you might want to call a few near you. The one I work at is really small but has a sizable Anime collection, which is how I've managed to watch so many more titles in the past few months than I normally get to by just using NetFlix or fansubs.

Captain Slug said:
I tried to watch Voices of a distant star, it was just too boring for me to finish and I found the art style to be annoying.

Most Blockbusters that stock anime will have a copy of "The Place Promised in Our Early Days" under that exact title so you might want to call a few near you. The one I work at is really small but has a sizable Anime collection, which is how I've managed to watch so many more titles in the past few months than I normally get to by just using NetFlix or fansubs.

I am just waiting for my personal anime rental guy to get it, he already has 2000+ titles, and oddly doesnt have that yet, lol.

Ah, you have a friend to leech off of. Those are very handy and sadly I had to become my own (without actually buying any titles) because I wouldn't want to spend more than 10 minutes around any of the people that attend the local Anime Clubs.
Man I hate this area...

GTO is hilarious and definately worth watching, however with my limited time (i've seen half of the anime but have the rest) i've stuck to slowly trudging through jungle wa itsumo. But i'm not complaining too much, guu is to evil for me to care.

I like Inuyasha...

The dubs on that are pretty good as well. However I do like the subtitled stuff better.

FMA is pretty awesome too with subtitles.

slug i also watched samurai 7 til they licensed it. haven't been able to watch it ever since. :(

black cat 8 was pretty good just finished watching it. train's character seems to be completely different than the first several eps so its a bit confusing but the other characters are filling out decently, as much as could be expected with this story line. its funny they met up with that same waitress in the new town lol.

guys... as soon as i finish Samurai Deeper Kyo... i'll give ya a full report.

It's character development is actually surprisingly deep considering how many characters they have in each episode. Great series so far. I'd recommend it to anyone.

There are some "crazy powers" in it... but they are not overt 99% of the time.

just watched the first ep of witch hunter robin, certainly different than my normal but has some interesting lines to it.

Oni said:
IMO, Dreamworks really, really dropped the ball on Innocence. Crappy subtitles and no dubbing. Lackluster DVD extras etc. I know for a fact that they can get all the original english voice cast save for Mimi Woods (she seems to have fallen off of the world or something :-/), so there was no reason to not have an english voice cast. The subtitles were closer to hearing-impaired closed captions than subtitles.

With a little luck, maybe somebody like Manga Entertainment will pick it up. Then we'll get a quality release.

Well, subtitles were really bad in releases I've seen... Timing was so horrible that we had to pause it in order to read. Sill, movie seemed to be cool after watching it with friends & booze.

Maxvla said:
just watched the first ep of witch hunter robin, certainly different than my normal but has some interesting lines to it.

[Mr. Burns voice] Excellent! [/Mr. Burns voice]

Just keep watching it Max. I think you'll really enjoy it. Oh yeah.... Amon and Robin end up...... (hehehe... leave ya in suspense)

Just finished Samurai Deeper Kyo. It is well worth watching all the way through. Episode 26 (the last episode) has a hidden ending partway through the credits that leaves you wanting more.

Cjwinnit said:
So true. Where is bleach 59?!?! I NEED MY FIX!!!

:cry: :sn:
The next episode comes out on December 6th due to a Japanese holiday this week (I believe). It might even be a double episode since they skipped a week.

59 is out, it's 60 that's delayed.
Maxvla said:
slug i also watched samurai 7 til they licensed it. haven't been able to watch it ever since. :(
Netflix got a set a little while ago. I'm just waiting to watch it until I finish watching the stellvia discs.

mage_x said:
The next episode comes out on December 6th due to a Japanese holiday this week (I believe). It might even be a double episode since they skipped a week.
mmm double ep...

For the longest time I haven't really been watching much Anime. I like it, and my sister is a very definite fan, but I just never know what to watch. Thank goodness for threads like this :D

Current Watchings
Bleach - Just look at the avatar man. ;) Introduced to me by my brother around episode 14 or so. Awesomeness, plain and simple. I really hate Rukia (I don't know if it's her helmet of hair, or personality :p), but I'm down with everybody else... Especially Urahara :sn:

Honey and Cover - I'm only three or four episodes in, but it seems to be OK. I'm still not wholly sure what it's about, but it has a bit of comedy in it which keeps me going.

Full Metal Alchemist - Good stuff, it is. Initially I was turned off (probably saw a bad ep or something), but in the past month or so I've begun to watch it and I really like it. Even if Funimation has soiled all over it.

Pocket Monsters: Advanced Generation - ...As if you didn't see THAT coming :D OK, so I almost never actually watch this (last time was probably 1.5 months ago...) since I don't reguarly check for releases of the subbed episodes, but on the rare occasion I do download one I usually enjoy it. Far from "the best anime EVAR", but better than some I've seen, let me tell you. That, and I can stand Haruka a lot more than Kasumi.

Finished Watching
Azumanga Diaoh - *drools* This was awesome! My only complaint? My sister returned the DVDs to the friend she borrowed it from just before I could watch the last 3 episodes! :temper:

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - Man, that series cracked me up hardcore. I'm really looking into checking out the other series, and possibly buying Fumoffu on DVD.

Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star) - Not too bad, but was a letdown from the review I read. It has a very interesting idea behind it, but the animation and fairly slow pace detracted from it.

Nausicaa - Disney is apparently getting better at doing Miyazaki's works over time. I watched this dubbed and really liked it. It has replaced Princess Mononoke as "favorite Miyazaki film" and is one of three movies my Dad has ever stayed awake through (the other two being Apollo 13 - his favorite movie, and some other Tom Hanks movie).

Howl's Moving Castle - Another Miyazaki film that r0x0r3d my b0x0rz (subbed). For all the commotion Spirited Away generated, I wasn't too big on it. Howl though, was awesome. I can't determine if I like it, or Nausicaa more...

Captain Slug said:
Extremely true in the case of full metal alchemist which has some of the worst dubbing and dialogue editing. WHich is sad because it's such a good series that doesn't deserve such treatment.
I haven't had the pleasure of watching FMA subbed, but I can only imagine how good it'd be. Funimation and 4Kids have got to the the two worst liscencers known to man. *hopes 4Kids experience an excuciatingly painful death*

JigPu

Last edited:
Back