• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC core2quad q9400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Again, leave everything else on Auto at this point.

Yeah, PMing people repeatedly to look at your thread, may not be the best way to get someone to help. When he has the time, like me, we will be back to check in on things, so dont worry!

At this point however, if I was you, I would up the Vcore to 1.35v and see where you stop booting. Once you find that point, go back 10Mhz on the FSB and start to stress test trying to find the lowest voltage possible for your stable overclock.

Keep that CPU under 85C while stress testing, and good luck!

Ok, so i wanna say thanks to everyone that help me ! :D

I got my settings working fine now, i will show you some prints, if you have any settings to change, just say to me : b

Prints:

Last edited:
My system:

Asus p5p43td Pro
Core 2 Quad Q9400 @ 2.66 GHz @ 3.2GHz
G.SKILL F3-10666CL9D-4GBNQ PC3-10666 4GB 2X2GB DDR3-1333 CL9-9-9-24
ATI Radeon HD 5670
Samsung 1TB Sata
Nox Urano 600W
Cooler: thermaltake gunmet orb

Current config :

What can i change? Can i increase the oc?

Ok before my pc dont boot with cl ram times on manual, i mean 9-9-9-24, i have to put auto.
Now i put manual and 9-9-9-24 and it booted
So now should i put it 8-8-8-24 ? Some people say its better..

Cumps :)

Last edited:
Hi, I got your PM and in it you said your vcore was 1.1V but the BIOS shows 1.3V...

Q9400 is 8.0x 333MHz for 2.66GHz

I'd say bump the FSB to 400MHz and set the DRAM/FSB ratio to 3:5 to give you 1333MHz so you're not overclocking the RAM... if stability in the RAM is a problem after all the tweaking you can do leaving at 1:1 to run at 800MHz will not really hurt you performance wise. This will put your CPU to 3.2GHz

Set the RAM timmings manually to CL9-9-9-24 and manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.5V.

Leave your CPU at 1.3V

Bump your VTT to 1.3V and your MCH to 1.3V

Leave your SB voltage on auto

Enable LLC

Run Memtest and then try Prime95 small FTT's and then Prime95 Blend.

Keep an eye on your temps!!

If this is stable try incrementing the FSB till it fails. Then figure out if its a failure because of the CPU or NB and adjust accordingly.

I probably wont check back on this till Monday so good luck over the weekend! Keep a log of the settings that work and the ones that dont. Only change one setting at a time when trying to get the system stable or you will surely overvolt something!

Well, your RAM is rated for 1.5V. If the ICs are up to it, there's a chance you could use 8-8-8-24 timings. I'd raise RAM voltage to 1.65V and see if you can pull off the tighter timings. You're correct that tighter is better.

As far as whether OC'ing memory is dangerous, I'd say to have a backup handy just in case. Memory clocking is a much easier way to bork an OS install than CPU clocking.

EDIT - Goodness, how many people did you PM?

Hi, I got your PM and in it you said your vcore was 1.1V but the BIOS shows 1.3V...

Q9400 is 8.0x 333MHz for 2.66GHz

I'd say bump the FSB to 400MHz and set the DRAM/FSB ratio to 3:5 to give you 1333MHz so you're not overclocking the RAM... if stability in the RAM is a problem after all the tweaking you can do leaving at 1:1 to run at 800MHz will not really hurt you performance wise. This will put your CPU to 3.2GHz

Set the RAM timmings manually to CL9-9-9-24 and manually set the DRAM voltage to 1.5V.

Leave your CPU at 1.3V

Bump your VTT to 1.3V and your MCH to 1.3V

Leave your SB voltage on auto

Enable LLC

Run Memtest and then try Prime95 small FTT's and then Prime95 Blend.

Keep an eye on your temps!!

If this is stable try incrementing the FSB till it fails. Then figure out if its a failure because of the CPU or NB and adjust accordingly.

I probably wont check back on this till Monday so good luck over the weekend! Keep a log of the settings that work and the ones that dont. Only change one setting at a time when trying to get the system stable or you will surely overvolt something!

Did you see this?

My vcore is 1.1v.
I have the fsb to strap on 400 mhz
fsb on 400
dram frequency on 1200 since the other option is 1600 and my ram is only 1333.. and im afraid.
I have it on manually 9-9-9-24 and its running fine .

Ok, so im running my ram with 1,65 of memory over voltage and 8-8-8-24 like hokiealumnus said .. and its running well :)

so should i try to run my rams at 1600 ? its on 1200 now..

Ok. I've merged your two threads on this subject. Now I know of at least FOUR people that you've private messaged rather than just talking in a thread like a normal person.

In no uncertain terms: Stop PM'ing multiple people about your ongoing thread in which you are already receiving feedback. Stop it. I told you nicely twice, then not so nicely the third time to stop PM'ing me about the thread in which I am already actively helping you. The next time someone tells me about you PMing them about this thread, your priveleges of using our PM system will be revoked. Can't get any more clear than that.

Ok. I've merged your two threads on this subject. Now I know of at least FOUR people that you've private messaged rather than just talking in a thread like a normal person.

In no uncertain terms: Stop PM'ing multiple people about your ongoing thread in which you are already receiving feedback. Stop it. I told you nicely twice, then not so nicely the third time to stop PM'ing me about the thread in which I am already actively helping you. The next time someone tells me about you PMing them about this thread, your priveleges of using our PM system will be revoked. Can't get any more clear than that.

Ok, im sorry..

Overclocking your RAM is not going to really help you much as far as performance goes... Its more likely to cause system instability and or fry the RAM. I would not exceed the recomended voltage by much if I were you. I would just set it as I said above and go from there.

Since you have gotten advice from several of us already, maybe it would be good for you to take a minute to say where youre at now, where youre trying to get and what you have tried (settings wise) already.

Ok so now i have my ram at 1200 mhz, with timings set to 8-8-8-24 and memory over voltage to 1.5 ( stock ram values are 9-9-9-24 . 1.5v )

Cpu Voltage 1,1V
400 fsb ..

change the timmings to 9-9-9-24 and go back to my post and try the settings i suggested. 1.1V isnt going to cut it at all... Youll probably need 1.3 or 1.35V

But if my cpu default is 2.66Ghz, and im running at 400 fsb ( 3.2Ghz ) with ram timmings on 8-8-8-24 ( lower is better ) and with 1.1V in cpu and is stabel, why should i change ?

You shouldnt. If you are stable at those voltages, you are stable. 3.2Ghz from there and 1.1v is pretty darn good though I have to admit. Nice chip there.

You shouldnt. If you are stable at those voltages, you are stable. 3.2Ghz from there and 1.1v is pretty darn good though I have to admit. Nice chip there.

And about the memorys i try to put it at 1600, with diferente voltages, like 1.5v and 1,65v, and with different timmings. the higher i tried was 11-18-18-38 and it dont boot ! Shouldn't i overclock the memorys ?

ANd what about oc the gpu ? or it is better to oc more the cpu ? Like 3.5 ou 3.6 :D

Forget-it, you'll never be able to get your processor to 3.5 or 3.6 stable on that motherboard. You might be able to get 420 base freq. stable, which is still, not bad, for a P43 chipset.

If you are stable at those settings, then yes lower is better but have you actually done proper stability testing?

If so, what tests and for how long?

Back