• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC%, Dual Ch., Cas. 4 slots, {[(2)+1]+1} sticks

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gamefan

I have demoted to a 2nd pooter a P4 2.6C cpu (20% max oc), a P4C800-ED mobo (four DDR-400 slots) for internet, e-mail, simple newsgroup(s), documents, no games or demanding. Because I am now using the stock HSF I may attempt to oc it 15%, may not. If I use just 2 identical RAM sticks I'll get dual channel operation, plus the oc & cas of my choice. If I use 3 sticks, even if identical, I won't (right?). I don't know what is better (what performance loss is involved). If I use all 4 of my sticks will I get the same performance as with 3 sticks?

I have:
(i) 2x 256MB OCZ DDR2 PC4200 Performance EL Dual Kit. cas 2-2.5. Will oc 44% (288)
(ii) 1x 256MB OCZ DDR2 PC3200 Platinum Dual Kit. cas 2-2.5. Will oc 25% (250). One of pair died.
(iii )1x 128MB Kingston DDR (PC2700?) cas unknown. oc unknown. I can tell you it was a mail-in rebate at Future shop for free, and there are ICs on one side of the stick only, whatever that means. I could dig up stats if necc.

What RAM should I use? I know if I just use (i) 512MB, it would be in dual channel, and I know I could oc it. But its such a small oc that its not too neccesary, and I think any combination may get a similar oc % anyway. How: don't know? I also have a 50% & 25% greater RAM quantity available, but don’t know the W’s about what will happen, trying to get the 50% or 75% more "headroom". The (ii) ocz single is nearly identical to the (i) ocz pair. So what is a good choice? I can’t / won’t know, won’t use, can’t test, unless I ask general W’s now. What is the potential performance difference between possible oc’s, dual and single channel operation and cas? I don’t know what to expect &/or how to prioritize all this, pls, thx.

I don’t know if adding the 4th, smallest 128MB stick, (iii)=> others, because its not gonna be in dual channel mode (i.e. PC2700>PC1600), or if it will drag it down greatly, because what if I am using the 256MB (ii) stick already anyway? thx. Its all about how much dragging isn’t it. Will I, where do I, draw the line? Will the other placements matter. I assume (i) will be in slots 1 & 3 still, no matter what?

Last edited:
Back