• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

oc-ing amd athlon x2-215

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tesh94

Hi there.. Im planning to oc my athlon x2 which is currently at stock speed @ 2.7ghz.. planning to get it to 3.3/3.4ghz if possible...
The problem is my board is ECS MCP61PM-GM..
Is it possible to still oc with this board?
I'm pretty new to this so I'm not to sure.. I've checked my bios and there isn't any multiplier option to oc ...
And is it recommended to get an aftermarket cooler like the CM Hyper 212 EVO ?
My psu is gigabyte powerock 500w <-- guess its sufficient :confused:
My gpu is sapphire 4670 1gb . Planning to change this is a few months to sapphire 7770oc vapor-x

ECS MCP61PM-GM << I thought I recognized that motherboard part number and did a search here at OCF forums in the cpu section and do find a few hits.

The ( GM ) in the board model number means the ECS motherboard was manufactured for use in a Gateway Machine. No idea how many models of Gateway used this board. Having a board that is made for a giant OEM computer seller does n0t usually lead to overclocking from bios at all. Gateway fixed the bios so that the options normally used to overclock are generally hidden from view and use.

You write >>
I've checked my bios and there isn't any multiplier option to oc << and since the board is a "made for OEM" motherboard it certainly will not have option to adjust the multiplier and that cpu is not a BE version with unlocked upward multipliers so having such option would do no good on that cpu anyway.

Without a BE type AMD cpu with unlocked upward multipliers, you can only increase the cpu speed by changing the System speed. That is normally called FSB or CPU Frequencey or HT Reference speed or similar. THE option to make such changes in the bios for that motherboard are not visible is what I am now led to understand. So if you cannot change the reference speed from within the bios and adjust voltage to the cpu, then you are not going to be able to overclock the cpu in that motherboard.

You can look for the terms FSB or CPU Frequencey or HT Reference speed or similar in your own bios and if as expected, they are not visible then there is nothing you can do from within the bios to do any overclocking. That is most often how things turn out when a person buys an OEM system and later thinks to overclock the system. The bios is not suited for any overclock.

The only thing I will add is that there is at least one huge thread on the internet about flashing modified bios onto that motherboard to "uncover" hidden overclocking options. I am not going to show links to such endeavors since the process is not for beginners. You would certainly be on your own with flashing a modified bios on the board to uncover the options to overclock. Those options were made NOT visible since the OEM system builder did not want people overclocking the board and causing problems with the OEM system.

You can find such information about a modded bios flash, by using g00gle just like I did. It is out there on net and good search terms are likely to be modded + bios + whatever your motherboard model is. If you even think to flash a modded bios you NEED to read closely everything they suggest you do in preparing for and flashing such bios. Read the part where they tell you what to do to RECOVER from a bad flash. If you cannot recover from a bad flash, then I certainly would not suggest such a flash at all. You have a working system now, you could wind-up with a n0t working system.

In the end a later motherboard built with DIY users and configurators in mind is likely a better course of action for most. Good luck to you.

Back