• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC iSsuEs wiTH AMD 3700+ and 2GB RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

@pm

Hi! I need a hand with my system because I search on internet for good OC settings.

AMD 3700+ Clawhammer 2.4 GHZ 1 MB
2x 1 GB Kinston DDR 400
DFI LAN Party NFS 250 GB nForce 3
BFG nVida 7600 GS OC

I want to achive 2.8 or 3 GHZ, I found this little guide lines arround, tell me what do you think

CPU frequency: 2706 mhz (246x11)
CPU voltage: 1.52
Temperature: 30 C
Cooling: Corsair HC200
Motherboard: DFI 250GB UT3
Memory: 2x512 XMS3500
Memory bus frequency: 246
Memory timing: 2-2-2-10 (I need to know the order,like tRSD etc...)
Memory voltage: 3.1
HT frequency: 3x

CPU frequency: 3000Mhz (250x12)
CPU voltage: 1.76
Motherboard: DFI UT
Memory: Mushkin PC3500 LII
Memory frequency: 250Mhz 1:1
Memory timing: 2-2-2-5 1T (I need to know the order,like tRSD etc...)
Memory voltage: 3.5v
HT frequency: x2.5

Basically I have a Zalman Reserator so overheat is not a problem for me, but I dont have any RAM disipators should I?
Regarding the 3 GHZ achievement I will harm too much my processor?

Thanks a lot for your help!!! =)

First off, welcome to the forums!

3.1 and 3.5V on the ram?! That's pretty ballsy in my opinion. I have yet to see a really good 2GB kit of ram commonly available. Most of the best OCing ram was only manufactured in 1GB(2x512) or 512(2x256) kits. The kits were known as the BH-5 and the TCCD ram, those were the real kings of the DDR1 days. To get that kind of bandwidth you will need to seriously loosen the timings for DDR 492 same goes for DDR 500 @ those timings, going to kill your ram first probably with voltage as high as 3.5V, 3.1 probably not so much however.

And as for 3GHz on 1.76 volts I don't see your chip lasting very long at those volts, I would at max use 1.625 volts, at MAX.

Good luck, will check back later but gotta get to class now :thup:

Your setup looks fine to me. 1.8 on water (even basic water) with a 130nm chip is A-OK and will actually help with longevity while running your memory at 3.5v since DDR1 IMCs seem to not like running low CPU voltage and high DDR voltage. I've run 1.85v through a 90nm Sempron without issue for two years before I retired it.

If it's BH*, CH*, or UTT, 3.1-3.5 will be fine. I was able to pull 250MHz 2-2-2-5 with my UTT at 3.4v. If you're running Micron chips (which I'm guessing you're not), 3.1v is fine... still on the high side... but 3.4v will certainly kill them in a short time span :D.

TCCD liked timings loose but for Windbond chips you want tight timings and lots of voltage, WonderingSoul ;).

Be sure to put a fan on the memory if you haven't already.

If it's BH*, CH*, or UTT, 3.1-3.5 will be fine. I was able to pull 250MHz 2-2-2-5 with my UTT at 3.4v. If you're running Micron chips (which I'm guessing you're not), 3.1v is fine... still on the high side... but 3.4v will certainly kill them in a short time span :D.

TCCD liked timings loose but for Windbond chips you want tight timings and lots of voltage, WonderingSoul ;).

Be sure to put a fan on the memory if you haven't already.

I know the Microns eat Vitamin V like it was crack and wanted MORE MORE MORE.

But this user is planning on running 2x 1 GB Kinston DDR 400 which I don't know if they will OC very well. Probably because I have never seen a high performance 2GB kit in DDR1... However I may be wrong :confused:

Last edited:
Generally speaking they blew, but in the OC configs he has listed it looks like he has some Micron memory at the ready. If not, then yeah, he's kind of screwed on hitting a setup like that :D.

Try 3-4-4-8. Since you're running socket 754, I would try just running one stick of ram. Socket 754 doesn't support dual channel.

I just can't run with 1 gig of ram, when playing games it goes over 60% or 70% of the RAM

I just can't run with 1 gig of ram, when playing games it goes over 60% or 70% of the RAM

Simply put, you're taxing too much from old hardware. It's time to invest in new hardware.

Try 3-4-4-8 @ 2T

Back