• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC my Q6600 quad help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

midrigs24

Registered
Hi i am very new to Overclocking and cooling, i have speedfan and my cpu runs at 45C idle and 60C playing any game, i was wondering if anyone has any advice for a new heatsink/gel, and after i get the temp down i want to OC it and i was wondering if anyone could give me step by step help on how to do so.

system spec's
cpu=quad core q6600 intel
ram=4gigs A-data
vid card= BFG 8800 GTx2 SlI
case=antec case stock fans + 3 extra fans i added myself

Last edited:
Hello and welcome.
THERMALRIGHT ULTRA 120 EXTREME is the best air cooler for a Q6600.
Why not post complete system hardware specs in a sig?
If you are new to the black art of overclocking, I would suggest reading the OVERCLOCKING stickies and FAQs that are offered here.

there i added system specs, also is that too hott for my cpu?

Keep that chip under 70C and you are fine.

As far as the cooler, the TRUE listed above is one of if nto the best, but its expensive. The Xigmatek s1283 will do a fine job and costs about half.

Regarding overclocking. Nobody is really going to give you a step by step, you have to start yourself and we will be quite happy to help. What you can do however is read the C2D/C2Q overclocking guide that is found at this website. That will give you PLENTY of information to start your overclocking adventure. :)

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=515316

Last edited:
Also include in your sig. the brand and model of MB and RAM (Adata is fine, but it doesn't tell us what the SPD voltage or timings are without a model number of the modules).

You wont get terribly far with that quad on that motherboard thats for sure. But check out the guide and begin your adventure!

That board should be fine up to 400FSB (3.6Ghz). So you should be fine. You would likely run out of cooling capacity (keep it under 70C) before you hit the boards limit. What cooler is on the CPU? Stock?

yes its stock but i wouldn't mind spending 25-30 bucs to upgrade that

You will have to spend a bit more to get something worth it. You wont be able to go very far at all with the stock cooling. I suggest the Xigmatek S1283 Heatsink with the hard mounting kit.

Without knowing the VID of your chip, brand of MB... XFX, EVGA, etc., or the exact RAM you're running (other than Adata DDR2-800), give these settings a try for 3.26 GHz:

Code:
CPU Frequency: 326 MHz
Multiplier: 9X
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1451
MEM (DDR), MHz: 800

CPU Core: 1.4625
CPU FSB: 1.4
Memory: 2.1 (whatever voltage your specific RAM is rated at)
nForce SPP: 1.45
nForce MCP: 1.55
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.40

is there any way you can give me a few links to some online stores that have what you are talking about?
and rudduc im not exactly sure if i should start OC until i get some better coolings

There's no reason to not start overclocking. Like EarthDog mentioned, as long as you keep you core temp's at a reasonable level you'll be fine (25 - 30C Distance to TJ Max, or 70 - 75C core temp.) Download a program like Real Temp or Core Temp to monitor your temp's. And use either to find the VID of your chip, like Real Temp for instance (w/ RT open, click the "Settings" button, and post the listed Max Core VID of your chip in this thread.) You can modify the settings I posted to lower the clock, and in turn the Vcore / Vcc to bring the temp's down if needed.

is there any way you can give me a few links to some online stores that have what you are talking about?
and rudduc im not exactly sure if i should start OC until i get some better coolings
What country are you located in?
If you are in North America (Canada/USA), you can use Newegg.com, zipzoomfly.com for these purchases.

Without knowing the VID of your chip, brand of MB... XFX, EVGA, etc., or the exact RAM you're running (other than Adata DDR2-800), give these settings a try for 3.26 GHz:

Code:
CPU Frequency: 326 MHz
Multiplier: 9X
FSB - Memory Clock Mode: Unlinked
FSB (QDR), Mhz: 1451
MEM (DDR), MHz: 800

CPU Core: 1.4625
CPU FSB: 1.4
Memory: 2.1 (whatever voltage your specific RAM is rated at)
nForce SPP: 1.45
nForce MCP: 1.55
HT nForce SPP <-> MCP: 1.40
Now that you know my full system specs would yous till recomend this code?

You still need to post the VID of your chip, but other than that change the Memory Voltage (Vdimm) to 1.85 - 1.9v from the 2.1v that I posted above. Also manually change the four primary RAM timings to 5-5-5-18 (CAS-tRCD-tRP-tRAS) -2T, w/ all sub-timings on AUTO.

ok i just finished with the overclock, and everything seems to be going well so far, how did you come up with those numbers? im really intrigued by how all this Over clocking works and i want to learn!

Read the guide to know how it works!!!!!!!

You need to test for stability, READ THE GUIDE on how to do that!!! Cliff's Notes: DL and instlal Prime95 and run Small FFT for CPU testing (and measure temps), if that passes for 8 hours, then move on to the Blend test. If those both pass, you have a stable system (all of this information is found in the guide).

ok i read the guid and started prime 95 for not even a minute and my temps were up to 85C should i let the test keep going? i stopped it because earlier someone told me to keep the temp below 70-75C

Back