• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC my Q6600 quad help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I told you that...:)

And yes stop the test. You need better cooling in order to proceed. Likely the voltage that REDDUC was so nice to give to you is high for that clock speed so see if you can lower the vcore.

Last edited:
alright what should i lower it to though? it was raised by .2, and i can see a huge difference in a few of my applications opening and how fast things load

LOL - thats the overclocking game my friend. I cant tell you that, nor can everyone else as every chip is different. Try lowering it .1 and see if it boots, if it doesnt, raise it up another notch (not .1 but w/e "one notch" is on your mobo).

You are looking for cookie cutter settings and it just isnt going to happen. Welcome to the world of overclocking.

is there anywhere i can get a Xigmatek S1283 Heatsink with the hard mounting kit together? i can't find this heatsink all i find are reviews

If you only raised it by .2, give .1 a try. It may bring temps down a bit, but not by 10-15 degrees like you would need to keep stability. What are your ambient temps like? If your system is in a hot room, your temps will be high no matter how good of a cooler you have. Case ventilation will play a big part in this as well. If you have good case airflow, and somewhat decent ambient temps, a better cooler will do you some good.

Thats the same one I was telling you about except it has a black finish on it. It should fit in the case, yes.

will i need to buy thermal compound also? it doesn't come with any

i also changed the vcore to 1.36250 and temps are down about 5-7 degree's while idle so that will do fine until my heatsink arrives, also i have another question, i bought 1 heatsink for my 8800GT video card, but my video cards are SLI, won't i need another for my 2nd video card or will that one not get as hot....

It seems as though you've caught the overclocking bug. Yes, if your cards are in SLI you will most definitely want a cooler for both cards. Why have one card running much more efficiently and cooler than its identical twin? Just because one card is cooler (because an aftermarket heatsink was added), doesn't transfer that efficiency to another card.

That Dark Knight should serve you well. It is very similar to the S1283, which has been recommended quite a bit in this thread. The differences are that it comes in a black finish, the bolt thru kit, and a better fan. Considering the cooler you have now, if it is installed properly, you should see a pretty significant drop in your temps, which will allow you much higher clocks. I have my Q6600 running at 3GHz (333x9) with stock voltage, and am waiting til winter to try for 3.4 or 3.6. The Arizona heat is not friendly to overclocking at all.

ah ok i see, my other problem is if i was to get another heatsink for my other video card, how will it fit? does the heatsink go onto the back side of the video card? because if it goes on the front there will be 0 room for it.

Even though its already been said I'll add my 2 cents. As shown in my sig I have the Xigmatek Dark Knight and a Q6600. I've oc'd mine to 3.0 gHz and with my voltage still on auto I never got above 55c when running prime95. That heatsink will definitely serve you well for your cpu. :D

Also, you don't need extra thermal compound with the Dark Knight. It comes with a tiny tube of it in the box. I made that mistake because I never saw it included in any description online.

EDIT: You beat me. That thermal compound looks fine, a great way to get decent opinions is by looking at what the reviews say on newegg. They're usually very accurate and come from people who have actually used the product.

my other problem is if i was to get another heatsink for my other video card, how will it fit? does the heatsink go onto the back side of the video card? because if it goes on the front there will be 0 room for it.

If by front you mean facing the ground when mounted in your case then yes that is where you usually have to put it. There are a few heatsinks that will let you mount it on the "back".

Here is one example. http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=340

I couldn't find it on newegg, which is rather odd, but it can be mounted either way so it gives you options and is also a very good heatsink.

Even though its already been said I'll add my 2 cents. As shown in my sig I have the Xigmatek Dark Knight and a Q6600. I've oc'd mine to 3.0 gHz and with my voltage still on auto I never got above 55c when running prime95. That heatsink will definitely serve you well for your cpu. :D

Dude mine q6600 is oc'ed to 3.0 ghz and it doesn't go over 47c in prime. Why is yours so much higher then mine?

Back