• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC on i5-750 on Asus P7P55D-E Pro

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

phobiarg

I have a rig that I am trying to squeeze a little more power from to tide me over until I can afford to buy a new one. I have always ran my computers at stock or bios preset overclocks. I have recently started experimenting with actually trying to overclock my system for performance.

My current setup is:
i5-750
Asus P7P55D-E Pro
Coolermaster Hyper 212 Plus with OEM push fan
Artic Silver 5 Thermal Compound
GeIL Evo Corsa 1600MHz 1.5V
GIGABYTE GV-R585OC-1GD Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB
Antec EarthWatts EA750 750W

My case is definitely adequately cooled but I can't seem to get reasonable temps. I started with a 4.0ghz clock I found online that seems stable, but as soon as I started testing with prime95 my temps shot up to 85c after about a minute. I canceled that test and started to downclock. I ended up with a stable setup as follows:

Core Speed 3601MHz
DRAM Freqency 514.5MHz
FSB : DRAM 2:6

BCLK 171.5
Multiplier x21.0
QPI Link 3086MHz

vCore 1.3125V
IMC 1.1625V
PCH 1.10V
PLL 1.90V
RAM 1.65V

I tested it with prime95 for 10 hours and had no stability issues at temps of ~70C CPU, 70,69,62,68 core temps.

I am just looking for advice on any changes or concerns I should consider. I would love to hit the 4.0GHz holy grail but I don't think I will be able to on this cooler.

Last edited:
I dropped PLL to 1.85, seems to be ok, temps look to be the same, stock is 1.8, I tried 1.8 and it hardlocked and required a CMOS reset.

I think temps are going to be the limiting factor, since everything else seems to be solid.

A Vcore of 1.3125V seems awfully high for only a 3.6GHz clock, unless you have Turbo enabled. I think more along the lines of 1.20-1.25V would be sufficient. Depending on how much RAM you have installed and the current DRAM frequency, you nay need to bump IMC voltage to approx. 1.20V or slightly higher.

Back