• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC RAM and additional RAM

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nicknameless27

Dear all,
I currently own this set:
MOBO: Gigabyte 970a-ud3p
RAM: 2x2GB Kingston HyperX Special Edition Sandy Bridge 1600MHz CL9 latency 9-9-9-27 (O.C. @1833mhz and dual channel)
CPU: amd fx6300 3,5Ghz (O.C. @4.2Ghz)
GPU: EVGA geforce GTX 650 ti Boost 2GB

I would like to add more RAM (in order to reach at least 8GB). Which ram do you suggest (if it's reasonable I would like to keep the current ram and add some more, I'd like to preserve my previous purchase and don't spend too much)?
Is it possible for example to keep the current ram overclocked @1833Mhz and add new 1833Mhz ram?

In addition, do you have any advice to better setting my hw in order to improve performances in gaming?

Thank you very much

Your best bet is to get the exact same kit you have...otherwise sell them when you get 2x4gb. It can be a bad idea to mix and match ram.

Better performance in gaming? Grab a better video card. ;)

Thank you for your kind reply Earthdog!
Do you think these characteristics are still valid (1600Mhz, CL9, 9-9-9-27, 2x2GB)? Actually I'm struggling to find the same exact model of ram (always out of stock), any good compatible models to pair with this one?
While...considering the other option (replace current ram with 2x4gb) which model would you suggest?

Grab a better video card...I was already thinking about it, but still not sure to do it yet, I'd like to make the most of this configuration first. By the way, ideas for a better gpu to put aside of a AMD FX6300?

Thank you so much for your help!!!!

Last edited:
If you can't match it exactly, I wouldn't do it.

Budget on the video card would be helpful... I can list a $500 one or $300. What 're do you game on?

If you can't match it exactly, I wouldn't do it.

Budget on the video card would be helpful... I can list a $500 one or $300. What 're do you game on?

Well I think I'm more on a $300 one :p

I'm currently playing with Assassin's Creed V Unity, Assetto Corsa, PES 2015 and GRID Autosport while I'm looking for Far Cry 4, The Crew

Back