• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC550's ultimate winchester thread, wish me overclocking luck!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
awww that sucks!

But 2.5 is pretty good anyways. ;)
But if you're that unhappy you can always sell it off and dish out a bit more moola and upgrade
<--- stating the obvious

At least in the future you wont' feel like upgrading as fast. A 2.7 is quite the muncher.

I've heard of occasions where people have had extremely fast processors and old school video cards and manage to get pretty impressive benchmark results.

As in OC 550's case I too am interested to see where his Ti4600 is able to carry him.
Processor speed can make THAT big of a difference.

baberpervez said:
awww that sucks!

But 2.5 is pretty good anyways. ;)
But if you're that unhappy you can always sell it off and dish out a bit more moola and upgrade
<--- stating the obvious

At least in the future you wont' feel like upgrading as fast. A 2.7 is quite the muncher.

I've heard of occasions where people have had extremely fast processors and old school video cards and manage to get pretty impressive benchmark results.

As in OC 550's case I too am interested to see where his Ti4600 is able to carry him.
Processor speed can make THAT big of a difference.

Yeah, i'd definately be willing to sell!!

I paid 239 for mobo and CPU and i'd be willing to sell it for 200 if anyones is... :bday:

Anyways, theres an Asrock board that uses both 754 and 939 cpus and it's pretty cheap(vnf3-250 cheap). A mobo is the onlthing standing in the way. In some cases u have mobos that cost more than a CPU!

we'll see though....the performance again would'nt be that much anyways

my winchester came earlier today. once the mobo comes, its off to overclock!

ADA3000DIK4BI
CBBGD 0439VPCW
1095969J40025

any predictions based on this? I was thinking maybe ill buy two 256mb sticks of pc4200 tccd, get some record scores with it then resell the ram and recop most of my money back. Too expensive to keep for the small boost itll give in games, I have a gig of corsair value for that. with tccd and around 2.5GHz(280x9 will rock) winchester I may take out 21k with ti4200 and 22.5k with 9500np

Overclocker550 said:
my winchester came earlier today. once the mobo comes, its off to overclock!

ADA3000DIK4BI
CBBGD 0439VPCW
1095969J40025

any predictions based on this? I was thinking maybe ill buy two 256mb sticks of pc4200 tccd, get some record scores with it then resell the ram and recop most of my money back. Too expensive to keep for the small boost itll give in games, I have a gig of corsair value for that. with tccd and around 2.5GHz(280x9 will rock) winchester I may take out 21k with ti4200 and 22.5k with 9500np

Sell the Corsair Value and keep the TCCD. PQI Turbo PC 3200 can be found quite cheap online. Newegg has 2x256 of the PQI for less than $130.

deception``

mattspalace said:
well....

Don't post one of these 'it has begun' threads and then not update it mister! :D
:bday:

yes, because then what you'll have is an accumulation of pointless posts that people will have to weed through and by doing so will eventually get bored and *quits*
:beer:

keep reading, once my mobo arrives, the fun shall begin and my 3dmarks will be without cheating either. If theres a way, I still wont cheat. I am gonna do it right and break 20k legit

Overclocker550 said:
keep reading, once my mobo arrives, the fun shall begin and my 3dmarks will be without cheating either. If theres a way, I still wont cheat. I am gonna do it right and break 20k legit
Even newer than mine. I got a 437 and it's looking good that i get it prime stable at 2.6ghz with 1.55vcore. :D
Was playing Doom 3 without a hith on 2.7ghz but 1.6v with a max of 1.632v are quite a lot. :eek:

ok just tested my 2nd stick of corsair value weeks after I got it, its definately weaker than the first. 2.5-3-3-x at 240fsb doesnt get to windows. 235 barely does but very unstable. 230fsb completed lobby low in 3dmark, too tired to loop 3dmark, I have a good idea at this point, its about 230fsb. Might be able to get 1 or 2 more but will save that when I get winchester mobo. My first stick does 250fsb depending on the a64s ondie controller. This one limits me to 240fsb. Hopefully the winchester's ondie controller is more mature and lets me oc my rams better. I am assuming 230 for the weaker one and 250+ for the stronger one without my ondie limiting me. I will test each stick seperately than dual channel with the winchester. If my weaker stick holds me back too much, its gone and im buying another corsair value so I can do 250fsb for both. I havent tried 2-2-2-5 but will do it at 200fsb, doubt itll even boot. 300x8 will be 2.4 for the winchester but my weaker stick might hold me back if it cant run 5:4 for 240MHz. ah well corsair value is cheap, I can keep trying this. my stronger stick at 250+ is probably as good as pc4000 tccd anyway. I have no clue what chips those are, but was TCCD invented more than a year ago? maybe its TCCC or just some good ch5? I will decide what to do with my ram once my winchester mobo comes. Itll depend how high the cpu does too.

when r u

going to get off this Corsair value rant?. yes, you have ONE decent stick, but in reading your rants about you 939 desires, you are not going to get what you desire chasing down another stick of what you call godly ram (250FSB is NOT godly, since we all know it really only runs 238FSB, the 250 being a test posting, as per you own words some time back).

i have five sticks of BH-5 that slaps you Corsair Value up one side and down the other (i can hit 280, 1/1 with one of them).

get some better ram and you will be rewarded with bandwidth you can only dream of right now.

baldy :cool:

No TCCD wasn't around then.. It just came out in early June.

I agree OC550, if you're going to run with the big boys you need to invest in a gig of TCCD and get rid of the valueram. You'll be happier in the long run.

There is a problem, let me explain:

Problem is I have no clue of the limits of my winchesters ondie controller or how far itll overclock. Lets say it does 280x9 for 2.52GHz and the ondie controller can only handle 270fsb, this will force me to clock my cpu down to 270x9 for 2.43GHz or run the ram async, either way I would not be any better than running my corsair value async which is what ill do with winchester. so basically its all or nothing.

with corsair value, 280x9=2.52 with ram async should work
with TCCD if I run 280x9=2.52 async it will be equal to my corsair value
if the TCCD cant do 280fsb and I lower it to 270x9=2.43GHz but run in 1:1 I will trade cpu MHz for fsb, thus canceling each other! So you can understand its "all" or "nothing"

The TCCD ram will prob run 280x9 1:1, and with tighter memory timmings which people say dont matter much but they still do help a little bit.

If you plan on running 280x9 with the TCCD and the Value ram the TCCD again will run @ that most likely with tighter timmings which will still be better then the Value ram async or not.

So if youre ram runs say @ 250mhz while the cpu is @ 280HTT, the TCCD will run with much tighter timmings then any value ram ever would. So in both cases 1:1 or async the TCCD will be better.

Also you are the one who has been talking about MHZ and such on these winchesters. The running lower MHZ and a higher HTT speed wont cancel out the extra 150mhz and lower HTT speed. Bus speed doesnt really do much on these CPU's. They arent like P4's where it is a necessity.

Btw terms for the A64's are HTT which is the cpu Bus speed, and MHZ for the memory. Thier is no more FSB its confusing i know

Last edited:
Osirus said:
dont count on hitting 3ghz on a 1.8ghz chip, without some super extreme cooling. You have a winchester 3000+ just because I hit 2.7ghz, doesnt mean you can/will. look at what Sen has, a 3200+ and he cant hit 2.6ghz at all.. you would be lucky to hit 2.6, just dont get your hopes up high...

If he gets a Winchester made on the 45th week or newer, the chip will garantee 2.60GHz overclock on the average air cooling setup. Only problem is, Its literly impossible to attain such a new CPU considering week 45 was like last week lol.

But, if you start to hunt and buy from large outlets that sell old stock fast, we should start to see Strained Silicon Winchester's flood into the channel by end of the month, early next month.

EDIT: I'm really looking forwards to seeing an overclock comparison between a Week 44 and Week 45 Winchester. It will be interesting to see how much of a difference their really is with an overclock.

For those of you who already have Winchester's but really want the post week 45 ones, I would say Ebay them or sell them to a friend that isnt planning on overclocking and give him a decent deal.

90nm SS 3000+ CPUs will be the cheapest priced S939 chips to date and they should overclock like mad. Sharky Extreme has already pointed out that 3000+ chips can be found for $140US or $175 Canadian. NCIX pricematches babe!

OC-Master

Back