• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Occasional failure to load OS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Admiral Akmir

Registered
Hello, I'm trying to identify the source of an annoying problem. Every once in a while my PC fails to start up properly, It'll post, I'll get the single bios beep indicating everything's good to go, then instead of booting windows it restarts again and I'm left with the screen that lets you choose recovery and repair or start normally. For some reason USB 3.0 doesn't work and I have to plug into 2.0 ports just to get keyboard functionality so I can abort the recovery from loading automatically, however once I've logged in there are no problems.

It's frustrating because this only happens sometimes, maybe once a week or once every other week. I would think that if something was going bad I'd get symptoms during normal use as well such as stutters or performance issues, this is just bizarre to me.

I haven't overclocked anything so that isn't an issue.

So many options here. First of all, posting some details about your system will help the rest of the team to assist you.

Some things I'd check first would be:

1. Do you have something yellow in device manager? Check for missing drivers.
  2. Do you have the latest BIOS? Depending on how old it is, an update would worth a shot
  3. Check the USB ports. It happened to me once, my kid crushed a chair against an plugged in thumbdrive causing two usb pins to touch agains each other making my pc reboot randomly.

Also, USB3 usually doesn't work right from the start and you need to use regular USB2 ports for the kb and mouse, but also, there's no reason to use an USB3 port with those devices either.

Good luck!

Windows 7 64 bit
i5 2310 @ 2.9 GHz
radeon 5670
8 gb ram
xonar DG sound card
ASRock H61M/U3S3

No bad marks in device manager

I've heard that the bios that this board ships with won't support ivy bridge, so perhaps I should update anyways in case I want to upgrade in the future. I'll try that and see if the problem goes away.

Back