• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing AMD 8120 To AMD 8150 Speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I immediately agreed with mtdewcowboy and then I said yes and then I said, what the heck. There are 3 speeds that these processors run normally when left alone and then one more they will do as well when Windows power manager kicks in.
FX-8120
Frequency = 3100 MHz
Turbo frequency 3400 MHz (more than 4 cores)
4000 MHz (4 cores or less)

FX-8150
Frequency = 3600 MHz
Turbo frequency 3900 MHz (more than 4 cores)
4200 MHz (4 cores or less)

So there are cpu speeds of the 8150 that you can matchup with on the 8120 with a stock cooler IF you have awesome case cooling. But without someone stating a specific speed when asking can X make Y on stock cooler and 'easily' as you asked. Well than answer probably still should in general a n0.

I guess I should add
I can run mine at 4+ np on stock cooler just not prime 95
Is it stable? Yes just surfing the web and light gaming

I immediately agreed with mtdewcowboy and then I said yes and then I said, what the heck. There are 3 speeds that these processors run normally when left alone and then one more they will do as well when Windows power manager kicks in.
FX-8120
Frequency = 3100 MHz
Turbo frequency 3400 MHz (more than 4 cores)
4000 MHz (4 cores or less)

FX-8150
Frequency = 3600 MHz
Turbo frequency 3900 MHz (more than 4 cores)
4200 MHz (4 cores or less)

So there are cpu speeds of the 8150 that you can matchup with on the 8120 with a stock cooler IF you have awesome case cooling. But without someone stating a specific speed when asking can X make Y on stock cooler and 'easily' as you asked. Well than answer probably still should in general a n0.

I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 and i mean 8150 Stock 3600 Mhz.. Can i OC 8120 to 3600 Mhz

I have a Cooler Master HAF 912 and i mean 8150 Stock 3600 Mhz.. Can i OC 8120 to 3600 Mhz

Yes you can. The only thing is that on many boards when you overclock the base frequency, you lose the TurboCore increases. That can mean that when your cpu was left alone it would use Turbocore mode to increase cpu Mhz to 4.0Ghz, when you manually set base clock to 3.6 not 3.1Ghz, your cpu may not employ Turbocore upclock anymore.

The issue with guessing if you would be better off at a "set" 3.6Ghz and not the lower 3.1Ghz is not known. We have no idea if your Turbocore was ever really kicking your speeds to 4.0Ghz or not. Nor do we know how often the Turbocore was kicking you up to 3.4Ghz the other possible clock.

So if your manual set to 3.6Ghz actually does not still allow Turbocore to do any acceleration would lose you any performance...well no way to know without you doing some benches with it set like it is now and then change it to what you ask about and bench again and use the results to determine if you are better or worse off at 3.6Ghz manual setting. About it really. Try and see what you get, since we cannot know the results.

RGone....ster. ________:chair:

Yes you can. The only thing is that on many boards when you overclock the base frequency, you lose the TurboCore increases. That can mean that when your cpu was left alone it would use Turbocore mode to increase cpu Mhz to 4.0Ghz, when you manually set base clock to 3.6 not 3.1Ghz, your cpu may not employ Turbocore upclock anymore.

The issue with guessing if you would be better off at a "set" 3.6Ghz and not the lower 3.1Ghz is not known. We have no idea if your Turbocore was ever really kicking your speeds to 4.0Ghz or not. Nor do we know how often the Turbocore was kicking you up to 3.4Ghz the other possible clock.

So if your manual set to 3.6Ghz actually does not still allow Turbocore to do any acceleration would lose you any performance...well no way to know without you doing some benches with it set like it is now and then change it to what you ask about and bench again and use the results to determine if you are better or worse off at 3.6Ghz manual setting. About it really. Try and see what you get, since we cannot know the results.

RGone....ster. ________:chair:

Well i have a ASRock 970 Extreme3 and i have not messed with my 8120. at all are you saying just leave it stock for now untill i get new Heatsink and cooler?

In post #6, I don't think I said anything about waiting on a cooler. Did not even know there was another cpu cooler in the future. Thought I finished my post #6 with try setting 3.6Ghz and see if you got better or worse performance overall. Now none of that seemed say anything about any waiting for anything. Don't think it did anyway.

Back