• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OC'ing an Athlon II x2 250 w/ ASUS M5A78L-M LX/BR - Am I doing it right?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vnsyama

Hey Guys! as you can see I'm new to these forums since this is my first post.
I'm really new to overclocking, that's my first trying actually.
So I'd like to know if I could get some help from more experienced users.
Well, as you can see I've already overclocked my processor, changing some things but I really dont know if I made things right and where should I change, improve or fix!
I dont know if I done something wrong there (especially with the memories, I dont know a thing about how to configure them!)
I'm uploading some pictures with the post so you can see what I've done so far!

Attachments

• teste oc.jpg
    teste oc.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 471
  • cpuz test.jpg
    cpuz test.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 449
  • 2013-03-04 18.08.33.jpg
    2013-03-04 18.08.33.jpg
    217.5 KB · Views: 1,274
  • 2013-03-04 18.08.20.jpg
    2013-03-04 18.08.20.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 1,982
If you could you might try raising the memory speed to the next notch up and see if the ram will take that speed because of the 267FSB.

Other than that I don't see how you could do anything better really. Looks good.
RGone...

Looking really good.
Im working with your sister board (78LX plus) and sister proc (semp 145/AthlonII x2 445) and SO FAR I was able to take the proc up to 286fsb(286x14=4.004). So you could probably go higher if you wanted. Though your CPU is getting a little warm, try to keep her at MAX 55* (core temp, not socket, that will always be hotter).
If you intend to go higher, PLEASE consider a better HeatSinkFan. The stock thing the lower-end AMD come with is about as good as its going to get for stock. By that I mean they work real well for stock clocks. Start adding CPU cycles and they tend to get very warm very quickly. I upgraded the fan on mine and brought the temps down a few degrees which allowed me to be stable at 3.64 on air. I have since gone underwater and have hit 40* ONCE (changed the fan and its back to the low 30*'s).

Also, you probably dont need to add any voltage unless the system is unstable.

If you could you might try raising the memory speed to the next notch up and see if the ram will take that speed because of the 267FSB.

Other than that I don't see how you could do anything better really. Looks good.
RGone...

I'll try that! I think the next it's 533MHz. Is there any risk if the DRAM frequency get a little bit higher than the 1333MHz from this model?

Looking really good.
Im working with your sister board (78LX plus) and sister proc (semp 145/AthlonII x2 445) and SO FAR I was able to take the proc up to 286fsb(286x14=4.004). So you could probably go higher if you wanted. Though your CPU is getting a little warm, try to keep her at MAX 55* (core temp, not socket, that will always be hotter).
If you intend to go higher, PLEASE consider a better HeatSinkFan. The stock thing the lower-end AMD come with is about as good as its going to get for stock. By that I mean they work real well for stock clocks. Start adding CPU cycles and they tend to get very warm very quickly. I upgraded the fan on mine and brought the temps down a few degrees which allowed me to be stable at 3.64 on air. I have since gone underwater and have hit 40* ONCE (changed the fan and its back to the low 30*'s).

Also, you probably dont need to add any voltage unless the system is unstable.

Ooh, I forgot to mention that I'm using a Hyper Tx3 for this with the thermal paste that comes with it. I was getting some high temperatures with the stock one.
I've tried not to change the voltage but the overclock kept failing on boot

I did this overclock because I'm upgrading my computer, just got a HD 7850 and well... you can figure that there's a bottleneck there haha!
I bought the Hyper Tx3 thinking on upgrading for a Fx-6300 (Since I heard that the stock ones that comes with bulldozer cant handle them, at least with the Zambezi.. it happened to my friend when he got a FX-8150 or something, I dont know about the Vishera).
Well but in the end I'm going to get an core i5.. Initially going for the 3470, buut.. now that I got a little taste of an overclock I'm really thinking about getting a 2500k or 3570k ! They must really good for that!
I was going for the Hyper 212 evo but it wont fit my case. Do you have any idea of some better cooler than the Hyper Tx3 that has about the same size?
Well.. Maybe I could change for a water cooling system anytime soon, I never used one

If you increase the memory voltage a little you probably can squeeze some extra frequency beyond the rated 1333 mhz. So, if the stock memory voltage is 1.5, bump it to 1.525. Won't hurt a thing.

The CM Hyper TX3 is one of the better 92mm fan-base coolers available. You can do better for more money with some of the products made by Noctua but they are not cheap. What is your budget like to upgrade the cooler? Your other option would be to go with a self-contained all-in-one water loop like the Corsair H80i. Give us a price limit and we can advise further. You certainly will not be able to upgrade to an FX-6300 using your current Hyper TX3.

Please tell us more about your case. Make and model or at least measure the width of it from outside to outside of the side panels. How many intake fans and how many exhaust fans are in the case?

I'll do a test with the memories then :)

Well I was thinking on something around U$ 150,00 for the cooler.. I'm from Brazil, some things are a little bit pricy here sometimes, they usually cost up to 20-40% more.. But the prices can get even higher... There are some funny things, searching at local internet stores I found the Corsair H100 (equivalent to U$175 in brazillian currency) for cheaper prices than the h80 (U$200-220)!
I dont know any hardware/computer stores that ship worldwide, usually I get my stuff from ebay when it's possible

My case is a Aerocool Strike X One (http://www.aerocool.us/strikex/strikex_one.html).
For now I have two intake fans from cooler master (cant remember de model), one at the front and one at the side of the case. And one exhaust fan located at the rear that came with the case

Back