• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oc'ing EVGA X79 132 SLI sucks!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you're serious about overclocking, I wouldn't say it's nothing, when it clearly doesn't have a working 125mhz strap. :p
It's nothing if you have a k cpu, or don't oc ram much.

Clearly? You are welcome to support your assertion... with something... anything. I mean that is believable, but, support it ehh?

Here is a link showing it working at 132 (ignore the NIC thing...its proof it works, LOL!) - http://forums.evga.com/FindPost/1460764

That said, you may be accidentally correct in that there are problems with using the strap (not setting it and getting it to work), just not the one the OP mentioned as we see that value set.

OP - are you using the latest bios?

Last edited:
I did have an issue with my usb not long ago but it seems to have fixed itself. I did update to latest bios for the board about 3 months ago actually. I was going to go. R4e with a 3930k but then i got to buy another case. Meh it was cheaper to plan out a haswell rig and recycle old components

I did have an issue with my usb not long ago but it seems to have fixed itself. I did update to latest bios for the board about 3 months ago actually. I was going to go. R4e with a 3930k but then i got to buy another case. Meh it was cheaper to plan out a haswell rig and recycle old components

I think you can get a Sabertooth or even an Msi Gd45 plus, or the Asrock Extreme 4 which are proven good quality boards for the x79 platform.
I'd do that, sell this one and then go for a 4930k or a 4820k or keep the 3820.
Your wc setup should do wonders with it.

Yay! The weekend is finally here!! Ok guys first off sig updated with current hardware.

I just rolled back bios to 041 which was the last version before IB-E support was added. Still nothing. My frikkin bus speed is still hard locked at 100. Even though I changed the base clock to 125 the damned thing still reads 100 on main info screen and CPU-Z. I am hell bent on fixing this thing this weekend. If not - R4E here I come.

I had originally planned on doing r4e in the beginning but at the time I had just bought a new house so was trying to keep expenses lower. Now seems to be a good time to finish what I started and recycle these older components to a network media/transcode server. That was the idea to upgrading to 1150 and use my 2011 for that. But since 1150 still doesn't have 6 cores I may stick with 2011 a bit longer.

I am really looking at getting the 4930k. Time to upgrade to 6 core on this machine. I've finally gotten to a point where I max my 3820 out.

Nice...I'll do the same thing after I finish with my loop and get monitor and gpu upgrades.
Not sure I'll get a new board, at least not for now, will probably go to Haswell-e before upgrading the board. :p (no more mainstream platform for me)

Don't get r4e unless you are benchmarking. You are blowing $400 on a board which most features you will not use. Its made for extreme overclocking, not some dude transcoding. ;)

I had a gigabyte 780 and i hated it. Only gigabyte product i will have ever owned. I do want to get into extreme overclocking. I love to bench. I just have never really had the hardware to do it. Looking at the r4e and asrock extreme 11 right now as my narrowed down choices.

Again, overkill. Unless you are using Dry Ice or LN2. With ambient air clocking, a midrange board is PLENTY. There is no need to pay double for options that you will not use.

It's possible i have given ln2 consideration. I do like the fact on the asrock that i get 4 pcie at 16x. 3 780's plus a physx card. With me going with a 4930k not entirely sure a physx card is even justified.

Called evga about that base clock setting sunday. First guy randomly transferred me to a lvl 2 tech right in the middle of me talking to him. Second guy said the cpu was causing it and since i did not have a k cpu i couldnt over clock it. Noobs.... I had to explain to them how it was partially unlocked and you get it higher by adjusting base clock. It felt like trying to give a astrophysics class to a bunch of kindergartners.

Kind of what i was thinking too. Got one running 3 24" asus at 5760x1080 and it does pretty good. Gets choppy in war thunder and civ 5 at times but thats to be expected. Highest ive seen vram usage is 2,300 / 3000. Thats probably going up more if i run a 4th on surround. Ive also got a 650 in there running 2 secondary monitors for video, vnc, web browsing, and 3 party game utilities. Im thinking 3 780's should be more than enough for my intentions plus give me some decent headroom for a few years.

Back