• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing my Q6600..which settings would be better?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kelly Keyboard

Registered
x7 * 400 = 2.8GHz

or

x9 * 333 = 3.0GHz (could tighten the RAM timings slightly using this FSB speed - BTW I Have DDR2 800 RAM).

Would the increased bandwidth from the larger FSB (especially since it's a quad core) > higher overall clock speed? Which would be better for games/video encoding?

Also does the Q6600 share its L2 cache between the 4 cores or do they each have 2Mb cache dedicated to each core?

temps (I'm using the stock HSF for the moment). At 2.7Ghz under full Prime95 load on all cores the avg. temp is 61 degrees C.

So I was wondering should I drop the multi (to keep the total cpu speed ~2.8Ghz (coz temps are reasonable @ this speed) and raise the FSB to take advatage of the extra bandwdth my DDr 2 800 RAM offers?

Or should I leave the multi @ 9 and just try and get the fastest possible overall CPU speed (with acceptable temps)?

Cheers

X8 by 400 for 3200 or as close to 450 you can get it.
VCore at 1.3-1.325 is all that is needed for 3.4G
Bump the MCH by one notch and the NB by one notch.

Back