• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing Q6600 on a GA-P35-DS3L problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

philsem

Hello all. i am trying to overclock my G0 Q6600 on a gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L. i am pretty sure i set all my settings right with 9 X 333 multiplyer. i set my cpu voltage to 1.225. I have 2gb of Kingston ddr2 ram 1066. i save settings. my computer reboots 3 times, then goes back to stock settings.:bang head Can anyone tell me all the settings i need to change for me to be able to get 3.0 Ghz? tyvm

Not everyone's is the same. No one can really help you. Just do some trial and error.

There are settings in the bios that you need to disable. Disable in cpu settings: C1E, EIST, and thermal throttle. Not all systems oc the same. Takes trial and error and alot of patience.

Take a look around here to see if what these guyz posted will help.

oo nice tnx a lot neb :)

BTW i dont think i have eist and thermal throttle

Last edited:
You might have to increase your CPU voltage a bit, even at 3.0 Ghz. I have the same board (Q6600 too), and mine reports voltage a bit lower than what is listed in BIOS settings. I'm running at 3.1Ghz right now and BIOS setting for voltage is 1.3000V, but I see 1.248V at idle from Windows and it of course sags below that when under load. I could probably shave a little off the 1.3000V setting with more extensive testing, but I doubt it would be much.

Start with smaller steps up from stock 2.4Ghz and test for stability along the way (Prime95 is good). Try to guage where you need to start increasing voltage to get further and work in reasonably small increments.

Also, try to eliminate your memory as a possible suspect. There's no guarantee it is stable with the settings you have, even though you techinically have it under its listed speed. Pick "2.0" from your BIOS for memory multiplier (which is the 1:1 divider) to work on your CPU overclock…this will slow down your memory below DDR800 until you get as high as 400FSB. Keep working with your 9x CPU multiplier initially. This will minimize the impact of your memory and northbridge as much as possible while you explore what speeds/voltages your CPU is stable at. Even then, you might have to increase some of your chipset voltages a little to crank up your FSB.

Once you get a good idea what CPU clock you can realistically get, then you can work with different combinations of CPU multiplier, FSB, and memory dividers to get higher memory speeds. Right now, I'm at 8 x 388 = 3104 with the synchonous memory setting ( 2.0 x 388 = DDR776 ). Try not to over-emphasize the importance of high memory clocks and tight timings…they're nice, but they mostly show up in synthetic benchmarks that exaggerate the improvement. With real world applications and usage, they are rarely noticable short of purposely crippling a system to make memory bandwidth a bottleneck.

WOAH!! tnx john. but there is still 1 lil problem. i tried to just going to 9 X 280 and it reset back, with 1.225 voltage. i like ur idea, but i think i need to turn something off/on in order for my overclocking to work. such as speedstep or something like that. is there any way at all that u can take pics of all ur settings? u dont have to, but that would be extrmely helpful. tnx a lot john :)

Dissable cpu enhanced halt (C1E), Dissable cpu EIST function, set PCI-E frequency to 100mhz, dissable C.I.A.2 (cpu intelligent accelerator), set you mem timing to auto (for now), and set your mem ratio to 1:1...if you have really fast ram, you could try 2:3 ratio.
also you might want to look at the makers spec's on your ram, and see if you have enough volts to get the ram where it needs to be...some of the higher end modules need 2v or more.
I hope I didn't forget anything, but this should give you a base starting point...your bios might be slightly different than mine, as I have the P35C-DS3R

Dissable cpu enhanced halt (C1E), Dissable cpu EIST function, set PCI-E frequency to 100mhz, dissable C.I.A.2 (cpu intelligent accelerator), set you mem timing to auto (for now), and set your mem ratio to 1:1...if you have really fast ram, you could try 2:3 ratio.
also you might want to look at the makers spec's on your ram, and see if you have enough volts to get the ram where it needs to be...some of the higher end modules need 2v or more.
I hope I didn't forget anything, but this should give you a base starting point...your bios might be slightly different than mine, as I have the P35C-DS3R

Yeah, that's some good info for the DS3L, DocClock. The settings are basically the same in the DS3L as your board. I have a Q6600 in a DS3L running at 3510 right now, no problems. Definitely you will want to set a higher vcore in bios than what you think it will take to run the chip in it's overclocked configuration; the board has horrid vdrop and vdroop with quads. And I would recommend setting the ram volts to +.2v so you are feeding around 2 volts to the ram.

Disable legacy usb detection, or disconnect any kind of usb storage device. If you have a card reader pull the card out.

Try again.

make sure and set the PCI-E to 100. i have the same mobo with a q6600. this mobo has HUGE TONS LOTS of Vdrop and Vdroop. i think u will have to bump the voltage up a little. I would also flash to the newest bios. I take it that your running a stock cooler. i would set the voltage just 2 clicks above 1.35V in the bios and go from there. make sure that your ram is not holding you back and that you have it set to the right timings and also voltage. stock voltage on the ram with this mobo is 1.8

finally im able to do it. i set my ram voltage +.2 and set multiplier to 2.0 and it boots up @ 3ghz ty all

finally im able to do it. i set my ram voltage +.2 and set multiplier to 2.0 and it boots up @ 3ghz ty all

Good stuff. Now run coretemp to monitor temps. What cooler are you using? Stock might not be enough for the quads.

be sure to turn c1e and eist back on to be env. friendly, after your system is fully stable.

Back