• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ 30gig Solid SSD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evilsizer

Senior Forum Spammer
ok so i finally started messing with my little SSD. I picked it up from ZZF since it was $64 vs $74 at the egg. I also got fedex 2day shipping for only $10 which was a huge plus to me. now the plan was to test the SSD out in the Atom 330 box with a ICH7 chipset. However i ran into the same problem agian with my main box. Seems sometime after installing some driver, i think it is the ATI drivers. Still not to sure since after unistalling the drivers and using driver cleaner windows still doesnt boot. I can get the box to boot into windows safe mode which is the odd part. thats where my ssd testing changes, now since i needed to reinstall windows xp, i figured i would go ahead to some testing on the ich8r on my board. i dont yet have numbers from anything but i just wanted to say that, this thing is fast!. i have read a few reviews at newegg and a few other spots. the main complaint seemed to be that loading/installing xp was taking a long time. well once you do the partition alignment as covered on OCZ's forum, here. after reading the instructions doing the partition alignment took no time at all. what is simply amazing is that i started the windows xp install about 5 minutes ago and it is almost done! as i type this on my Atom box, im not looking at the setting up the regional settings. before any updates there are some registrity tweaks i will do first according to this other OCZ post here. I feel like OCZ gave a bit of a taste of what is to come in 2009 for SSD's!! Some ATTO numbers to come a bit later! :beer:

Ok so now im off and crossing my fingers that after getting Xp setup. that i do not run into the same problem i have had twice now, on my gaming box.

*edit* time stamped by forum 3:54pm
ok im in XP now, time to apply the Xp tweaks! :eek:

*edit2* time stamped by forum 4:00pm
forgot to mention that this is one of the fastest windows xp installs i have done ever on one of my boxes. normally i have to wait about 30mins for xp to get done.

*edit3*

Here is ATTO 16MB-256MB file size set to Niether and Overlapped IO. i dont know the difference between the two, as i followed a suggestion on OCZ forum about using Niether. Overlapped IO is set by defualt when you open up ATTO. Now also look closly at the read/write numbers, OCZ specced the drive at 150/MBs read,90MB/s write on 680i test bed.
ATTONvsOIO.jpg

What is interesting is one it gets to 64KB in transfering the file at set size is when we start to see the rated speeds. now its also interesting that Overlapped IO shows slighlty higher results then niether but both once at 128KB size for the transfer its over rated specs. You should also have noticed that once the size is 64mb+ that read speeds for a few of the KB sizes for transfers reach read speeds of 170MB/s using overlapped IO. That a few of the Neither SS's show 169MB/s in the same areas where Overlapped reached 170MB/s. While not my test setup this is also interesting to compare my results to 4 way SSD shootout. the write for this SSD gets rather close to the Raptor in ATTO even to the other SLC drives this one is faster as well. The only drive that really stuck out compared to the others in ATTO is the mtron as it has a higer write speed then the other SLCs. It is also intersting to see this MLC based drive get close to the mtron in write speed even though specced for only 90MB/s writes. Im still wondering why they didnt do as wide of a range in ATTO as i did when benching and they only stuck with a 32MB size for the transfer and only 8-1024KB sizes. Needless to say the Mtron pro's are still rather costly so is the SuperTalen MX SLC based drive, makes this drive look even better.

Last edited:
cant wait to see some numbers. these things are now starting to get down to tempting prices

sam,
yea from what i have seen so far at OCZ are raid results. eva is doing some good work!! i got to run another test after reading some other threads over at OCZ and eva's place. Right now the place for the Solid line is in raid,IMO. It is cheap and transfer rates double, when you double the amount of drives in raid-0. thanks for reminding me! i have some pics of the SSD next to a seagate 400gig 7200.10 drive.

Charr,
no it wouldnt be a bottelneck at all on SSD's. the major areas for bottelnecking SSD are the SATAII interface. as it has a max of 250MB/s transfer rate, which intel has hit in read speed. now the interesting part is going to be when we get SATAIII/6G spec finallized. why do you think the cpu would bottelneck a SSD?

From all my reading HD Tune and HD Tach give mixed results on SSD's. Since they are, i want to say tabling the data but i know that isnt right. it is the only word i can think of that gets my thought acoss. i will be sticking ATTO v2.43. Right now i have not had any stuttering issues on ICH8R, in IDE mode (in bios). i have had some slightly pauses, such as i open CCC for my ATI card. then try to either right click agian or move to anther window nothing happens. according to other reading using MS steady state on the drive will boost SSD preformance by roughly 10%,stated on OCZ forums by TheRookie. I have no plans to use Steady State as i dont feel the need to after doing the partition alignment and XP tweaks on this SSD.

BTW in case anyone cares i figured out the problem with winodws xp not booting on my gaming rig. as it happen to me on the SSD!!! i was so mad! except this time all i installed was the belkin drivers for my USB wireless nic. after i restarted the computer, it didnt finish. i was like hey i should be windows by now, booted into safe mode,removed nic drivers. Windows booted up just fine, still not sure why or how i had issues. As i installed drivers for another revision of the same model USB nic. this other rev nic works just fine and i thought it really odd the other one was having issues. maybe the nic gave up working and borked the drivers? :confused:

I was asking about the SSD & CPU bottleneck, as I have seen really weird bottlenecks from computers.

It might be unrelated, but I had windows fail to boot properly after installation because the drive was formatted under Linux, and had features the Windows doesn't support.

What wireless card was it that was causing the problem?

the wireless nic is model FSB7050,sorry really hard for me to make out the small text. both have the same model but when i plug either one in. the first one that im having issues with shows up as a belkin 54g wireless nic, the other as a belkin wireless G nic. really not to sure, might even be some how the driver package is corrupt on my D drive. everthing else is fine from the D drive. :confused:

I seen good numbers using radi0 with onboard raid on i7.
Hardware dedicated controller is however the optimal.

and yea, looking at the prices currently, they are tempting to test for me ;)

I'm eyeballing a 60gb model of one of these. I know you said they have the Apex ones coming out, but those are estimated to be almost twice as much for the 60gb model. This model alone would increase my boot\load times much faster than my 320gb Seagate I'm sure.

I think you meant decrease boot times. :D

You could raid 0 two 30gb if you're not concern about capacity. As to how many to raid-0 until you reach the point of diminishing returns, read this article. I say 2 is the sweet spot right now.

http://www.nextlevelhardware.com/storage/battleship/

chart11.jpg

If you guys are getting into SSD I highly recommend reading the old Anandtech review of the Intel X25-M. Very informative although not perfectly up to date.

Most SSDs are slower than raptor X in writing but I believe it would be faster in a year's time.

Anyway, SSD are primarily used to boot operating systems and games which only require reading. That means fast sustained read times and fast random read times.

Most SSDs are slower than raptor X in writing but I believe it would be faster in a year's time.

Anyway, SSD are primarily used to boot operating systems and games which only require reading. That means fast sustained read times and fast random read times.

If you know what your doing a ssd seems to be a really nice addition to the systemdisk.
Regarding writes, its the random writes that are slow on mlc chips, which can be fixed with cache or software based solutions as MFT.

Subscribed! Do include boot up, shut down, loading times etc please! :D
my digi cam doesnt record that long, tried to get a vid. as i have no stopwatch for boot times. just from watching it though, it looks like boot into xp was cut in half. This is coming from a 80gig seagate 7200.10 drive..

I'm eyeballing a 60gb model of one of these. I know you said they have the Apex ones coming out, but those are estimated to be almost twice as much for the 60gb model. This model alone would increase my boot\load times much faster than my 320gb Seagate I'm sure.
yea thats true, after seeing the ADATA 2.5in to 3.5in raid enclosure i have a few thoughts on that, coming a bit later.

Do you have a link?

Found it - http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3403

Misc links on SDD
Hey evil, where is the thread you started? I believe it has all the info complied together.
thread started on what exactly? the numbers are going to be posted here, i think im going to have to put together a thread with needed info about setting up SSD's.

Arnt SSD drives slower to write data.:confused:

well they might be a bit slower but i dunno by how much. like i said above my xp install time was cut in half even if only 90MB/s max accourding to OCZ.

If you know what your doing a ssd seems to be a really nice addition to the systemdisk.
Regarding writes, its the random writes that are slow on mlc chips, which can be fixed with cache or software based solutions as MFT.
indeed it is, if you setup the SSD correctly the newer ones any way. you can aviod 90% of the issues, maybe 100% but im still not to sure on that. i havent applied Tony's suggstion of using MS steady state. that way it isnt ramdomly writing to the SSD but doing it sequntially. accourding to tony this does help with the stuttering on the SSD's. however, i have not experinced such a thing yet. i have to say i have experinced pausing is what i would call it. though this is when windows was still loading up device drivers at start. as they said this will effect ssd's a bit at the start of windows. i didnt find it a big deal to wait an extra few secs. i mean i was already in windows while my other HD would have still be loading it up. after getting the device drivers like sound,wireless nic,mouse, the thing is very fast at pulling up apps.

Blazing,
this thread was just ment for transfer rates and IO. then other thoughts on setups for the Solid line since it seems the way to go right now. i could load up stalker that i never finished but that would be the only game i could try to test. i have crysis/warhead but without a stop watch it is going to be hard to get times.

http://www.guru3d.com/news/adata-xpg-dual-ssd-35inch-raid-enclosure/
Now on to the A-DATA XPG Dual SSD 3.5-inch RAID Enclosure, this is going to be something to test. as they dont tell which on board chip is used for raid. I do figure they are going to be using a jmicron controller since that is used on Asus P5Q-pro for a invisable raid0 to the OS. That is what this enclosure will offer to use for cheaper SSDs. To me the Solid series from OCZ but others might far just a good as the Solid line. Now what is interesting is that wiki said SATAII is 250MB/s max but other sites report 300B/s max when it started coming on mobo's. if it is 300MB/s then, since the ocz listed max transfer rate is 150MB/s read. That would mean 300MB/s is possible, then raid it agian on the ICHxR or raid card. Since Apex is already raid-0 and we dont know transfer rate number yet, this enclouse may not be suited for it.

Give me a few to get my pics ordered the way i want. Then the first post will get updated. I had to visit the DR the other day, otherwise these would have been posted up already.

*edit*
pic is up!

Last edited:
Back