• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Powerstream 520W - will it power a modern rig?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Fred Koser

I'm doing some budget re-building as the rig in my sig is finally failing. . .

Any chance I can sneak by w/ an old OCZ Powerstream 520W?

Planning to run an Asus P8P67 Pro & i5 2500k w/ 4-5 SATA drives, a few opticals & a mess of fans. Will be using the GPU in my sig for the time being - would upgrade the PSU before considering any kind of graphics in the future. . .

I'm doing some budget re-building as the rig in my sig is finally failing. . .

Any chance I can sneak by w/ an old OCZ Powerstream 520W?

Planning to run an Asus P8P67 Pro & i5 2500k w/ 4-5 SATA drives, a few opticals & a mess of fans. Will be using the GPU in my sig for the time being - would upgrade the PSU before considering any kind of graphics in the future. . .

Fred,

Yes, it will run your new rig. However, that's unit is getting a little long in the tooth and they didn't have a particularly great long-term reputation. You don't need to spend a fortune for a nice 500W unit for your new build pending what new GPU you buy for it.

^ Thanks for the link, but am I missing something? It doesn't look like the Corsair is much beefier than my OCZ, in fact, its wimpier on the +3.3V & +5V rails. . .

My OCZ 520W: +3.3V(28A),+5V(40A), +12V(33A)

Corsair 600W: +3.3V(25 A),+5V(25 A), +12V 1(40 A)

Granted, the Corsair is ATX 12V v2.3 instead of v2.01, but if/when I upgrade, I'd want to see a much better improvement than that. I've got 5+ years on the OCZ & w/o having to tweak the rails at all, it runs rock solid even under load.

SO - I guess what I'm asking is, are current systems taxing the 12V rail more (which I'd guess from the higher +12V I'm seeing the v2.3 PSUs) and is this b/c of GPUS, CPUS, or something else about the power regulation/distribution on the MoBo.

I hardly game anymore & will probably make do w/ my old GPU until it starts giving me problems, would *LOVE* to do the same w/ my PSU!

THANKS ALL!!!

The only rail that you actually need balls on anymore is the 12V. The others were used more heavily back in the old days when the 520 was top dog (2nd only to the 510 SLI by PCPC). I remember those days.

It was so simple then.

Either way, the only place you actually NEED power is the 12v on a newer rig like that. CPU and video card will hit your PSU 10x harder than usb or various other 5V devices.

If you aren't buying a high end GPU, it's probably fine but even the best PSU's age. If I were you, I'd do a cross ship with OCZ and get it replaced.

The only rail that you actually need balls on anymore is the 12V. The others were used more heavily back in the old days when the 520 was top dog (2nd only to the 510 SLI by PCPC). I remember those days.

It was so simple then.

Either way, the only place you actually NEED power is the 12v on a newer rig like that. CPU and video card will hit your PSU 10x harder than usb or various other 5V devices.

If you aren't buying a high end GPU, it's probably fine but even the best PSU's age. If I were you, I'd do a cross ship with OCZ and get it replaced.

Ah, VERY helpful. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll monitor the 12V rail especially carefully & if I see any drops, I'll talk to OCZ. Hope their warranty support is as good as it used to be. . . :D

Back