• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ2P8004GK ddr2 voltage timings FSB HELP Gigabyte mobo + Q9400

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stifa

Hi guys,
I bought new memory OCZ2P8004GK 4x2GB replacing my old Kingston.
Manufacturer says it is 5-4-4-15.
I have set these values in BIOS and upped voltage to 2.1V as needed.
No improvement from AUTO settings 6-6-6-18 and 1.8V

I opened HWmonitor, Everest and CPU-Z and it said that I was running 1.8V even though I set it manually in Bios to 2.1 ...and SPD timings for 400mhz say it is 6-6-6-18 ? and for lower FSB it is better timing (see picture) ..so now I dont know what values are REAL here...

From what I understand running at 333 or 266 will give me better SPD ??
Untitled-1.jpg
Untitled-2.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg

I run:
QuadCore Q9400 8x400=3200mhz (very safe overclock)
FSB(mem)=400x2=800mhz
I have set MANUAL SPD to 5 4 4 15 and 2.1V but Bios still keeps default values visible next to these settings?
I use Gigabyte ga-p43-es3g motherboard with Award BIOS.

My goal was better performance in Photoshop and replaced 4GB Kingston with 8GB faster OCZ... so could you give me clue what settings should I use ?
Now I have a dilemma , changing FSB to lower with higher multiplier to gain better SPD but ruining 1:1 memory-FSB ratio or keeping AUTO settings which will give me same SPD as slower Kingston (which sux)...or something else ?
Or am I doing something wrong here ?

Thanks for help .
M:bang head

What improvements were you looking for? Ram speed and timings you will be very hard pressed to see improvements outside of benchmarking.

CPUz doesnt list what the voltage is running at. Are you sure you are looking in the right spots in HWmonitor and Everest (AIDA64 these days).

Buying faster ram will not help with your goal is the basic problem here honestly. MORE ram, assuming you were using all of what you had before, will show improvements, but in photoshop, depending on the filters etc. you use, you will likely not see much performance gains.

Also, can you host the pictures internally? My office is blocking them... OCFinsertimages.png

Thanks 4 reply

Well there is improvement in PS just wanting to see if I am running everything right here and not leaving some room for improvement.

One more thing I noticed is that "Current memory timing" is 600mhz=1.5x400 memory ratio 3:2 and it stays like that under heavy load... isnt it supposed to be 800mhz as this is the ram speed ?

Thanks heaps
M

And here is my bios...
CPU-z says memory is at 400mhz... not sure why other programs say it is 3:2 as said in previous post

bios1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The current DRAM / system memory multiplier is 2.00D, meaning 2 x the current FSB of 400MHz = DDR2-800 (1:1 FSB : DRAM ratio) on the "D" NB / MCH strap. Just go by what CPU-Z says (400MHz x 2 = DDR2-800), and disregard any other software.

Back