• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ3G1600LV2G - is this stuff junk?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pinky

I've tried the recommended settings to get the 1600mhz out of this pair, but it crashes at or shortly after arriving at desktop. PC is in sig. Not overclocking, supposedly these sticks should run 1600mhz. By default my motherboard wants to run them at 1066mhz and 1.5v

Set CPU_VTT Voltage to {1.35 volts}
Set DRAM Voltage to {1.65 volts}
Set Spread Spectrum to {Disabled}

Set DRAM Timing Mode to {Manual}
Set DRAM Timings to CL 8-8-8-24 (CL-TRCD-TRP-TRAS)
Set 1T/2T memory Timing to {2T}
Set tRFC to {88}
Set Memory Ratio so that 'Adjusted DRAM Frequency' reads {1600}
Report back your findings with these settings.

This appears to be a very common occurence when I searched for the settings online. MANY RMA returns.

JW but have you tried 1.7v or 1.8v? did you also run those settings in memtest86+ to see where its failing at? wondering if there is either defective IC's that the binning process isnt picking up or they are not stress testing the sticks long enough. could be either one, it would be interesting to find out which is the case.

Couple quick corrections - default was 1.6 on my motherboard, not 1.5v I haven't dared go any higher, not being fully aware of the risks (if any).

Other update - I raised my northbridge to 1.356v and turned off spread spectrum. These settings eluded me initially but I found them both.

I'm in windows for a bit now at 1600mhz so maybe all is well? I'd have to run memtest to be sure I suppose.

Did you check the compatibility of ram with your manual?? I ask you because that was my mistake, I bought a p55 kit and I have the same processor and chipset like yours but asus, did you have bsod? I tried different timming voltage but the same :(.... I have patriot viper sector 5

Couple quick corrections - default was 1.6 on my motherboard, not 1.5v I haven't dared go any higher, not being fully aware of the risks (if any).

Other update - I raised my northbridge to 1.356v and turned off spread spectrum. These settings eluded me initially but I found them both.

I'm in windows for a bit now at 1600mhz so maybe all is well? I'd have to run memtest to be sure I suppose.
yea i would make sure 1.65v min for that ram. there is nothing wrong with higher voltage for sure, AMD's IMC doesnt have the same issue as Intel's does. ie the voltage leakage from IMC to cpu causing problems. after all AMD cpu's with IMC were running DDR3 at high speeds with 1.8v+ before intel i5/i7's came out.

Did you check the compatibility of ram with your manual?? I ask you because that was my mistake, I bought a p55 kit and I have the same processor and chipset like yours but asus, did you have bsod? I tried different timming voltage but the same :(.... I have patriot viper sector 5

not all the time is this true, thru bios updates new ram stick can be supported. a motherboard manufacture isnt going to spend alot of time testing all the ram out there or ones that get released after the board is in the wild. i have many times bought ram not listed in the supported list and it works just fine. either that or i have had to wait for a bios update for the board to correctly read the SPD table on the ram to work.

I tried 1.70v dram, 1.40v NB and relaxed the timings to 9-9-9-24 but still wouldn't pass memtest.

So I tried the above settings at 1.65v dram and 1.35v NB at 1333mhz and it passed. I did notice fewer errors with relaxed timings, so it's possible to achieve the 1600mhz but not at the specified settings OCZ supplied.

Bottom line - these won't do 1600mhz unless overclocked.

I'm going to try 1333mhz for a while and run a few benchmarks to see where my systems stands. I may just keep it there versus exchanging the mediocre ram for more of the same (RMA).

If that G in the part number stands for Gold, this is about par for the course in my experience.
OCZ makes some very good ram, but the Gold series is junk.

How many sticks are you running? If you are running 2 kits then usually you wont be able to run the maximum amount of memory at the maximum speed.

not all the time is this true, thru bios updates new ram stick can be supported. a motherboard manufacture isnt going to spend alot of time testing all the ram out there or ones that get released after the board is in the wild. i have many times bought ram not listed in the supported list and it works just fine. either that or i have had to wait for a bios update for the board to correctly read the SPD table on the ram to work.
I think I will wait for BIOS update, because I have the last BIOS update and the problem persist, In patriot forum said me that the series I have is for P55 mainly, this is what they told me:
Please also keep in mind that our PVV Sector 5 memory was designed to run on Intel P55.
Therefore rated specs may not work on your system:
http://www.patriotmemory.com/forums/...read.php?t=808

If that G in the part number stands for Gold, this is about par for the course in my experience.
OCZ makes some very good ram, but the Gold series is junk.

Yes, G = Gold.

** edit **

After spending a while reading on ocz support's forum, I found a suggestion to set something to BOTH in my motherboard's settings that I had not previously. ON my board the DRAM settings were AUTO, DTC 0, DCT 1, and BOTH. I had it on DCT 0 not knowing DCT meant the ram controller being selected. From that single error on MY PART, the memory needed a lot of coaxing because I was likely only making changes to the settings for one of the ram (?). Whatever it does, setting this to BOTH and then manually entering the requires timings twice has allowed this ram to run 1600 at 1.65v Memtest passed fine!

I guess I'm NOT one of the unlucky ones after all.

Last edited:
To throw a wrench (variable) in the works, I could not get any of this memory to run stable at higher voltage (1.7, 1.8, 1.85) in any configuration, yet at 'low' voltage it seems ok. It is currently at 1.65v. I have 4 (2GB ea) sticks and am still working on getting just 2 sticks to run stable at 1600. I am using Prime95 to test them since I can get memtest to pass yet can get BSODs randomly. I understand I might have a weak link elsewhere (NB, CPU IMC). My best results so far have been using default voltages for cpu and NB. Anyhow I am stable thus far with 2 sticks with settings on the following (attachment).

BTW, should I be concerned with my -12v readings from my PS? Under load, it usual comes within or close to the +/-10% tolerance, but at light load (idle) it is out of spec.

CPU X4 925, MB GA-790XTA-UD4

Attachments

• OCZ Memory.jpg
    OCZ Memory.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 4,718
This is how I run these bad boys.

27223003240-orig.png

I have a Phenom II X4 945. I've put BIOS settings so that these OCZ sticks are running at 1599MHz, and CPU is stable at 3,48GHz.

Back