• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Office Activation hurdles

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I recently experienced this on two "non subscription" installations of Microsoft Office. One on my own computers at home and one on a two customers computers (spouses in same home with two PCs).

Facts:

1. Both were ebay purchases. One was for a 3 PC license Home and Student 2010 retail version with DVD media. The other was for a two separate 1 PC license Office Pro 2013 Retail packages with DVD media. These were no the obviously pirated keys for under $7 you see on ebay all the time where you get no media, just an emailed picture of the key. These were in boxes with optical media and I paid around $50 for each. I know: that doesn't guarantee that they were not illegitimate copies but I do try to avoid that now by searching for retail packages with media.
2. All of them installed but did not ask for the product key at the time of installation, which struck me as odd. Worked fine for 1-2 weeks and then . . .
3. Upon opening Word a warning pops up after this week or so had passed saying these office installations saying they need to be activated within four days or else.
4. So I initiated the activation wizard and entered the product key from the card insert found in the boxes. Strangely, this invoked a reinstall process that ended in the reappearance of the activation wizard asking me if I wanted to activate online or over the phone. The online option failed. When I tried the phone activation option it told that this phone activation was no longer available for the 2010 version of Office.
5. I did a search for this problem and apparently something is broken with the phone activation process for older, non subscription versions of Office. Found an alternate activation phone number on a Microsoft web page that was stated to be for Office 2016 but it worked for the 2010 installation. I don't remember if it was the exactly the same process for the 2013 Office Pro I installed on our home computers but I do remember the activation was not asked for at the initial installation but came a week or two later with the warning I referenced.

Has anyone else experienced these kinds of problems lately when installing and activating MS Office? I know MS wants to move everyone over to the 365 subscription model and I just wonder if they are making it difficult to on those who want to stick with the older products.

Some red flags for me:

1.)
The other was for a two separate 1 PC license Office Pro 2013 Retail packages with DVD media
-- to my knowledge, 2013 and beyond doesn't ship with media.
2.)
Strangely, this invoked a reinstall process that ended in the reappearance of the activation wizard asking me if I wanted to activate online or over the phone.
-- To me this sounds like the media you used to install the copy of office didn't match the Product key you entered. Because you had to use phone activation, it also leads me to believe the license had been used before.

I regularly install office for clients, whether it be the subscription variant or out-right bought version. The most common problem I have with office installs these days is not with activation, but with the automated install over the web. Sometimes it gets hosed and requires me to run a "office removal tool" and then a reinstall.

For future reference Trents, Microsoft has a legit website available for install media for 2010 and 2007. It can be found here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/office

Also, make sure your copies of 2013 are tied to a microsoft account. If they aren't, something is fishy.

-Thecheat.

Thanks for the input and especially the product download link. I have done this before but for some reason couldn't find that page yesterday at the client's house.

Apparently, Office 2013 is distributed on media in some markets:

"Unlike past versions of Office, retail copies of Office 2013 on DVD are only offered in select regions, such as those Microsoft classifies as emerging markets, as well as Australia, at the discretion of retailers. In all other regions, retail copies of Office 2013 and Office 365 subscriptions only contain a product key, and direct users to the Office website to redeem their license and download the software." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2013

Last edited:
Thanks for the input and especially the product download link. I have done this before but for some reason couldn't find that page yesterday at the client's house.

Apparently, Office 2013 is distributed on media in some markets:

"Unlike past versions of Office, retail copies of Office 2013 on DVD are only offered in select regions, such as those Microsoft classifies as emerging markets, as well as Australia, at the discretion of retailers. In all other regions, retail copies of Office 2013 and Office 365 subscriptions only contain a product key, and direct users to the Office website to redeem their license and download the software." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Office_2013

Interesting--- makes me wonder if the reinstall that was triggered was region related?

ive got a dvd that came with my office 2013. i got it through a microsoft home use program at work(200+ people). it was mailed to me but the key was emailed. we were given the option of a disc or download. i doubt any of thats relevant or helpful but i did in fact just install 2013 and didnt have any problems. altho i did for the first time have to register my key/copy with "my office"(which was aggravating) but i guess thats because of win 10. i installed office 2010 on the laptop(got it the same way) and did have an issue with it not accepting the key after a few weeks. i cant remember what i had to do to get it straightened out tho(again not helpful).

ive got a dvd that came with my office 2013. i got it through a microsoft home use program at work(200+ people). it was mailed to me but the key was emailed. we were given the option of a disc or download. i doubt any of thats relevant or helpful but i did in fact just install 2013 and didnt have any problems. altho i did for the first time have to register my key/copy with "my office"(which was aggravating) but i guess thats because of win 10. i installed office 2010 on the laptop(got it the same way) and did have an issue with it not accepting the key after a few weeks. i cant remember what i had to do to get it straightened out tho(again not helpful).

This is exactly what I have been experiencing lately. Yes, it was helpful. Thanks, maxfly.

Back