• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"OH CRAP" Core temp not displaying properly

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I've used a couple of NB cooler's from the Newegg on various AM3/AMD3+ boards with mixed results. Some of them didn't even cool as well as the stock blocks. But I cant speak for the silenX INX-40C, specifically.

Then again 95*C is rather hot, hopefully the new thermo compound will help, or perhaps it's not an accurate reading. I would search around (if you haven't already) to see what other folks with that board are seeing for NB temps.

I think you miss-understood my earlier post storm chaser. 95C was from another forum I read. Mine is 55C at idle and I hit a temp wall at 62C, per RGone's suggestion. I'm OCed to 3.7 from 3.2 until I can get my NB a bit cooler.

hmm, my sig is set and my preferances are set to show avatars, sigs and images.
:confused:

edit: When I post from my Phone or tablet it doesn't include sig.

It just showed up, might not have had enough posts to show up until now.

Conclusion:

My NB was hitting 62C at idle and re-applying paste was mostly insignificant, I decided to replace my heatsink with a Deep Cool NBridge8 copper sink. It dropped the temps down 24C after an Overclock from (CPU)3.2 to 3.7 and (NB)2.0 to 2.2 leaving voltage settings on auto. I'd say it was well worth the $20 and 45mins to tear down and re-build. I've decided not to up the voltages so as to not press my luck with MSI's questionable VRMs. RGone I know you're gonna love all the Copper in my system now. Looks like some kind of ridiculous copper skyscraper, but works awesome! I'll be adding another one of these to my brothers MSI 980A-G46 this weekend. Here's some snip's for your amusement.

Blaylock

Nice!

The 9700 is the coldest, baddest, meanest mofo on the planet! I may end up copying you and getting myself a copper tower as well.

Edit: Holy crap, did you just unwrap that zalmann? It's so freaking clean.

Lol. Nope just hit it with the air cannon before re-installing the mobo. Remember children a clean rig is a happy rig.

Looking at the ram you can tighten from the 9, 11, 11 to 9, 9, 9 and get a little ram help.

Okay looking at your Vcore I see 1.360V <> 1.352V <> 1.480V Cpu socket 56c and package 53c.

1.360V < Voltage the cpu is getting right now.

1.352V < Least Voltage sent to the cpu.

1.480V < Most Voltage registered as sent to the cpu.

That is a pretty wide variance and makes me wonder what the Voltage listed under VALUE was showing while P95 Blend mode was running. IF and I mean if that Value Voltage when running P95 Blend mode is not in the range of 1.450V, then you have a cpu cooling issue.

That big round CPU cooler is blowing air around on the board, but the cpu cooler is not taking the heat from the lid of the processor and doing something to do away with it. The socket temp is low compared to the core/package temps. Socket 56c and core/package temps are at 53c and if the cpu cooler itself were really honking, the core temps should be 45c or so and that is unless you are seeing a Value Voltage of at least 1.45V during P95 Blend mode.

If all that cooling at the cpu, core/package were what we see on most of these rigs running the CM 212 EVO's or Pluses then you would or should have room to go on and bust that 4.0ghz mark.

I like the all copper look for sure. But I only got bit just once on the round loop vantecs back on an Intel rig and they have never hooked me again. But I am here to say this specifically and that is if you are happy where you are...I am happy also and I like the twin towers on the NB for dang sure.
RGone...

Looks great, best of all those are excellent results - nice work. I purchased that NB cooler, but it wouldn't fit next to my hyper 212 on a smaller micro atx Biostar.

I did notice the RAM setting after I started the stress test, but since it ran stable I kinda left them. I'll tighten them up in my next adjustment.

As far as voltages and temps my vCore was maintaining 1.46v thru most of the 30 min test. and the socket stayed about 3-4C higher than the package through out the test. The 1.36v is my idle voltage after about a 15-20 cool down.

4.0GHz was my initial goal when starting out on this project and after reading Dolk's write-up felt pretty confident I'd reach it. I seem to keep hitting a wall at 3.8GHz. Mostly BSOD and freeze-ups. I've dropped my RAM down to 1333, adjusted my NB to 2200, 2400, and 2600, even bumped my voltages up 2-3 clicks and the only change was an increase in temp at the socket. I may need a refresher course on bumping voltages. I may need to swap my CPU cooler, maybe my PSU is underpowered. Dunno.

I primarily use this system for gaming and doubt I'll see much improvement from 3.7 to 4.0 so wondering if it's worth risking the bump. I woundn't mind seeing some actual comparisons, but I'd say I'm pretty happy with what I have...for now.

Storm-chaser- I had to rotate the sink 90 degrees to get mine to fit too. The arms are pretty loose set-up that way so I super glued them in position being very careful not to glue the sink right to the MoBo. LOL

Yeah you have to get creative with some of those aftermarket heatsinks. and no doubt its working well, you have the results to back it up.

As to going for the extra 300 mhz, its certainly not going to revolutionize your gaming experience, but 4.0 is a nice "milestone", if you will. I'm sure everyone here would work with you to try to achieve those goals, if you want to go for it.

You can break your overclock down into subsections, such as cpu clock, memory clock and cpu-nb. if you are reaching a dead end in one area, you can boost the overall system performance by altering another. For example, your cpu-nb plays an important role in your memory throughput as well as cpu level 3 cache performance.

Back