• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Oh Sh*t made a mistake.. help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Careface

so it was my bday 2 days ago and I thought I would do myself a favour and order myself an LCD monitor. the CMV-720D for $399.99 shipped. Ive seen the monitor in action and its great. So I ordered it, and paid for it then and there like I usually do, then I get a phone call from the company a couple of hours later explaining that CMV no longer offer a decent dead pixel policy. Something about needs to be 5-7 dead/bright pixels before they will do anything about it. ****. So the guys suggests that I get the next cheapest LCD they had in stock, the ViewSonic VA-702, for $430 shipped. Me thinking meh I really want an LCD monitor and I cant believe this is happening to me, decided to go along with the deal.

Now, I go to look up the specs of the monitor and nearly cried when I found it was 12ms, and 300 cd/m2 brightness. the other monitor was 8ms and 450 cd/m2 brightness.. now its not that I'm being fussy, but ive only ever had bad experiences using LCD monitors (albeit old ones) with blurring, terrible picture clarity and aweful viewing angles. So please, please, someone tell me what 12ms and 300 cd/m2 brightness is going to look like.. will there be -ANY- noticable blurring in gaming, watching movies, general use (im fussy about this, this is why I was going 8ms, because I knew for certain that I was going to be getting nice quality/no blurring).. and will it be bright enough that I can actually see the damn monitor? Im just really upset at the moment because the only damn monitor I wanted, gets pulled from under me just after I order it.

Careface* :cry:

IMO, brightness is almost never a problem with LCDs. I wouldn't worry about that.

Blurring... That's really going to depend on the game. If you play fast paced games like first person shooters, it most certainly will blur. (Compared to CRTs or much faster LCDs) Fairly doubtful that you'd notice much blurring in movies. General use? If you drag windows around the screen somewhat fast you'll probably get some blurring. I wouldn't worry about that too much either.

The truth is it's a Joe Average LCD. Not too great, but not too bad. For just standard use, it should be acceptable. If you're somewhat picky about response time and color purity, you may be disappointed.

It's a shame really. The CMV-720D really does look like a better monitor (going by specs alone.)

Good luck.

Thanks Richard and crash for the quick replies.. unfortunately for me I -am- really fussy when it comes to blurring, and if I'm going to be seeing some with general dragging the mouse around the screen, thats just not an option.. and yeah, I play games such as UT and (sadly) Stepmania, both of which I really cant afford there being any kind of blurring.. I guess I'll be asking for a refund, I really hate doing these because I keep feeling the company will hate me afterwards (I'm a pushover, go figure :p). I guess the overall problem is that its ANZAC day tomorrow in NZ, so its a public holiday for everyone, which means that I can request the refund on wednesday, and it wont go through until thursday.. then I order another monitor on friday, money wont go in until monday, then it'll be shipped to me on about wednesday.. and I was kinda hoping to get the monitor this week :( but </end rant>

I have looked up some alternate options to the CMV-720D that I wanted, and I found this.. you guys are LCD experts, what say you?:)
This

Cheers again for the fast replies :)

Careface*

Careface said:
Thanks Richard and crash for the quick replies.. unfortunately for me I -am- really fussy when it comes to blurring, and if I'm going to be seeing some with general dragging the mouse around the screen, thats just not an option.. and yeah, I play games such as UT and (sadly) Stepmania, both of which I really cant afford there being any kind of blurring.. I guess I'll be asking for a refund, I really hate doing these because I keep feeling the company will hate me afterwards (I'm a pushover, go figure :p). I guess the overall problem is that its ANZAC day tomorrow in NZ, so its a public holiday for everyone, which means that I can request the refund on wednesday, and it wont go through until thursday.. then I order another monitor on friday, money wont go in until monday, then it'll be shipped to me on about wednesday.. and I was kinda hoping to get the monitor this week :( but </end rant>

I have looked up some alternate options to the CMV-720D that I wanted, and I found this.. you guys are LCD experts, what say you?:)
This

Cheers again for the fast replies :)

Careface*

a friend of mine has that monitor, now, im not one for LCD's (2 blurry for me) but i have to say that the samsung one did look very nice. very bright and clear, and games like bf2 look amazing on it. i didnt pick up any shadows or much blurring (you always get abit). whatever your happy with at the end of the day. the viewsonics always get very good ratings and seem very popular but you always pay a premium for the best......

Just return it, being unhappy with a $400+ purchase is just not right, dont do it to yourself :) Seems like the salesman forced you into the deal anyway... Dont even bother opening it.

Thanks for all your replies :) The refund is being sorted, should be back in my account on thursday. So ill go ahead and get that sammy model as fast as possible. My CRT (phillips 107s5) is getting a little dark.

Careface*

i remember my old Samsung LCD monitor had dead pixels, had 5 in a row. We nearly went to court with Samsung. Then Samsung finally settled it with a replacement! thank god!!!, still working to this day and no pixel damage :D

return it and either buy a dell2005fpw(380 bucks when its on sale. might be now) or the spectre 19" widescreen, 8ms, 1440 x 900. Just got it from costco and love it. ( Only 230 bucks!!) Plus its got a 100% satisfatcion guarante for 1 year

I think I'm buying that Spectre myself. I can buy a costco membership AND the monitor for the same price as the next cheapest retailer. Plus, Costco is very lenient with their returns and do it for like 6 months or something crazy like that.

n0aH said:
return it and either buy a dell2005fpw(380 bucks when its on sale. might be now) or the spectre 19" widescreen, 8ms, 1440 x 900. Just got it from costco and love it. ( Only 230 bucks!!) Plus its got a 100% satisfatcion guarante for 1 year

Sorry, Ive been a bit lazy with my thread watching lately.. anyway, that 2005fpw sells for $945 here in NZ ($602 USD), thats over twice my budget really, plus the ~$25 shipping :(.. looks like a good monitor though, I hear a lot about its bigger brother the 2405fpw.. but unfortunately I cant really spend that kind of money

Careface*

:drool: monitor arrived like, 20mins ago. This thing is pure sex compared to my crt. Everything is just so much brighter. I'm unsure how to check for dead pixels, but I've been watching some video clips, and general windows use and I cant see anything out of place (does anyone have any good ways of checking for dead pixels?).. My only problem with it is the fact there is a slight blur on Stepmania, but not enough for it to be annoying, thank god. Overall, very impressed so far.

Careface*

How long do you have to return it? I'd use it as long as possible before you make your decision. After a couple weeks of use what is annoying now will be hated then.

Back