• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old 2500k high temps on stock settings..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

raident30

my 2500k is more than a year old.. bought it last february 2012.. i've overclocked the hell out of it and it did just fine.. i've reverted it at stock 2 months ago... but now here's what's happening... i've tested it on stock settings on blend prime95 and i'm getting 70c on the hottest core... im using a thermaltake water 2.0 cooler and its only 5 months old... i've tried reseating and re applying the thermal paste (im using a thermaltake TG-2 thermal paste) and im still getting the same temp... what do you think is the problem? the cooler or the CPU is just getting old?

Untitled_zps5154788c.png

Whatever offset is required to achieve a 1.12 Vcc while running Prime. The CPU Voltage option should offer a Manual setting that allows you to type in a specific voltage.

raident30, what are your ambient temps? That could be the cause of the increased temps.

Whatever offset is required to achieve a 1.12 Vcc while running Prime. The CPU Voltage option should offer a Manual setting that allows you to type in a specific voltage.
im on offset -40 now with a voltage of 1.17 im now getting 60c on the hottest core.. do you think its enough?

raident30, what are your ambient temps? That could be the cause of the increased temps.
im on a tropical country, 25-30c.. but at the moment of testing its 25c here....

Looking good.

it reached 64c on -50 offset but that's with prime 95 blend while watching videos on youtube and playing facebook games... i'll try -60 now...

this is on -65 off set 1.144v after 20 or so minutes of prime95 blend. 62c on the hottest core
Untitled_zps6548826b.png

this is getting weird... at 1.128v -80 offset... i am getting 65c on prime 95 blend.. 27c is the ambient temp... what do you think is the problem?

Untitled_zps2e645f84.png

Last edited by a moderator:
radient, are you just trying to get the temps down or are you concerned about the temps. Though 65c under Prime at stock clocks may be a bit warm I don't feel you should be overly concerned. Unless you're really doing some heavy duty work on that Pc you will rarely see 65c under normal conditions. Also if you look at post #12 your second SS the HD temp is 2c hotter as well as your minimum temp on the cores. It's probably a change in the ambient from test 1 to test 2, that is causing the difference.

Additionally, how many fans do you have in the case? If you only have the one it comes with and the one from the Cpu Heatsink you may want to add a few more, it could help.

Just use a static voltage of 1.12V w/ LLC on Auto, instead of an offset voltage w/ a manual LLC level.
sadly my motherboard doesn't have the feature to put a static voltage(asus p8z68 M-PRO).. but im on 1.12v at the moment and the highest now is 62c, i think its the ambient temps..

radient, are you just trying to get the temps down or are you concerned about the temps. Though 65c under Prime at stock clocks may be a bit warm I don't feel you should be overly concerned. Unless you're really doing some heavy duty work on that Pc you will rarely see 65c under normal conditions. Also if you look at post #12 your second SS the HD temp is 2c hotter as well as your minimum temp on the cores. It's probably a change in the ambient from test 1 to test 2, that is causing the difference.

Additionally, how many fans do you have in the case? If you only have the one it comes with and the one from the Cpu Heatsink you may want to add a few more, it could help.
i only have 2 fans one for intake and one for exhaust.. yes you're right, i think its the ambient temps.. its really hot in here living in a tropical country :D
Check to see if your water cooler's pump is working. I get 62c highest core with my Antec Kuhler 620 with an overclock of 4.5GHz and a vcore of 1.3v.
its working fine...

Raident, the TT eater 2.0 can only cool as well as the ambient temps in the case. Improving the AIR flow through it will help but it can only take the temps down to the Air outside the case. My suggestion move to a cooler climate :D.

Raident, the TT eater 2.0 can only cool as well as the ambient temps in the case. Improving the AIR flow through it will help but it can only take the temps down to the Air outside the case. My suggestion move to a cooler climate :D.

how i wish :D !! anyways... after getting the good temps for stock, i overclocked a little bit.. reached 4ghz at 1.248v at -30 offset... run IBT for 60 passes on high(2048mb ram used) reached 75c.. running blend custom test (5000mb ram used) on prime95 for 3 hours now and still running, reached 76c on the hottest core... i think i'll give this processor a year or two before getting/upgrading to a new one... all i can say is 2500k is one of intel's greatest creation :D

all i can say is 2500k is one of intel's greatest creation
It is a really good Cpu, I have one also. I've had it to 5.3 Ghz on air for benching and it runs 24/7 @ 4.7 without a sweat.

Back