• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old 845 intel board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jellyfish420

Registered
I've got an old gateway that I want to get back running for my girls. they're only 5 and 6 so they don't need anything special. anyway its s d845grg board. right now the bios is RG84510A.15A.0057.P19. it used to have rg84510a.15a.xxxx.p15. I was having a problem with the sound so I flashed the bios. now it won't post with the hdd connected. it will sit at the logo screen forever...soon as you unplug the hdd it will post. I've booted to dos w/ cd and usb and tried flashing and few times. still now change. I've tried 4 diff drives, both ide connections on the board. the cd drive works so its not the cable/connector/board. either a) does anyone know what the hell is going on or b) can someone please direct me to where I can find the older bios.

I've also taken the intel bios for this board and edited it, to no avail. the modded intel bios loads almost all the way, then says authentication failed.

It sounds like the OS is OEM and is looking for a specific MB/BIOS which is why it is displaying "authentication failed". You need to re-load the OS if you have the disk, maybe update/upgrade to a new OS unless you have the original OEM disks. First try to boot into "safe mode" if you can. If you get into a WinXP safe mode screen you can select "repair" and the system may repair itself from .cab folders. If not you may still need the OEM disks.

Since it's for the kids, and you probably don't want to invest much time or money, look at installing a version of Linux. It's free, simple, and works pretty much like any of the MS OS's. Linux Mint 14 may be a good choice. :cool:

I cant do anything.... the computer wont post with the hdd connected.
I need a gateway bios older then P19. its displaying authentication failed because I took an 'intel' bios, changed it to a 'gateway' bios. changed all the ".BIO" files, but there must be some certificate/checksum that I missed.

Gateway, like so many OEMs, have some proprietary boot software that is resident on the HDD. It does many of the same functions as the BIOS, and in fact the BIOS is generally written just for that particular OEM. So there is a double down of system checks for integrity. This is done so that you have to use their tech support to solve problems or perform upgrades as much as for system reliability. IMO.

I don't know what write-arounds you've done. Basically, if you can find an OEM system BIOS on the web, re-flash it to factory specs. The system board should be pretty generic in form/fit/function.

this pc used to work. bout 2 months ago I was having trouble with sound so I flashed the bios with the most recent from gateway(P19). now it won't get past the gateway logo screen, unless I unhook the hdd. if I unhood the hdd it will boot into dos w/ cd or usb. I have flashed the bios several times with the P19 bios from gateway. I've downloaded it a few times, from a few diff sites. just to make sure it wasn't the actual file. but the same thing. no boot w/ hdd connected. is there an archive somewhere w/ older bios's? it used to have a P15 bios, i'd really like to find it so I could just go back to where I began. if no one can help, i'm bout ready to hit ebay and just find a diff board....

Pentium 4 1.8 socket 478 , 3hdd 1x160g 1x120g 1x80g , 1g ddr , psu...what ever came stock in this gateway. its and emachine . here is a link to one I found http://www.recycledgoods.com/products/Gateway-MFATXNIN-NMZ-300S-Pentium-4-1.80-GHz,-256-MB-40GB.html
my only requirement is onboard video that is good enough to play whatever cheap, little games a kid would play. I would say angry birds...but if I remember correctly it didn't like angry birds before it broke. but ya, if they don't have it broke in a month or so, then I might look into getting a vid card.

I couldn't tell you what the chip actually is. I wasn't planning on fixing it...so I practiced lapping this chip before I did my e5300...so there is no numbers left on it all I know is Pentium 4 @ 1.8. will it say model in the bios? I can get to the bios.

I can't run anything. It doesn't boot. bios is as far as I can get. unless I can run cupid in dos?

You might want to grab a couple of different BIOS especially grabbing the xxxx.p15 which you originally had. Flash them, boot them, see what makes the board happy.

that is origionaly why I started this thread. the only bios I can find is the P19. if you could find an older bios I would be forever grateful. I've searched every where....

This is from the Gateway site. Note that the MB was probably manufactured specifically for them and must have their drivers/BIOS. Also note near the bottom of the page there are video specific drivers without flashing the BIOS. This is an older system and originally installed code isn't supported any more.

http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=2516282

This is from a forum in 2003 which describes how a similar predicament was resolved:

http://www.wimsbios.com/forum/topic4290.html

:D

Last edited:
Back