• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old asus rog boards and prices

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shiozaki

Was looking to take some spare parts, namely a amd 955 BE and buy a cheap am3 non + board and build a pc for my little brother with a little room to grow.

So there I am on eBay looking for a board and I think to my self an Asus rog board would fit the bill, and bam there there are a bunch of crosshair lV for 189.99$

Wtf ! 30$ more and I could have a brand new from newegg crosshair V board, there was a crosshair 3 for 120$... And lga 775 for 75$..

So my point is do these boards really hold there value this well or are these sellers just crazy.

They are high demand items. They hold their value. I've paid as much for 10 year old 'exotic' boards.

I mean ok, why do they hold value tho ? Like am3+ board works with am3 cpus, why pay dam near the same price for the old board ?

Well....let's start with you wanting a cheap board. Why would you even look at a CH board? It's the most expensive board there is. It is a high end enthusiast overclocking board. That's what it was made for. That's why they retain their value. There are many boards @ roughly $50 new that would fit your bill.

Well....let's start with you wanting a cheap board. Why would you even look at a CH board? It's the most expensive board there is. It is a high end enthusiast overclocking board. That's what it was made for. That's why they retain their value. There are many boards @ roughly $50 new that would fit your bill.

I agree, if one of the cheaper boards would do what you'd want, I'd go with that and put the saved $$'s in other components such as a better GPU for example.

However, it also boils down to what you are looking for in a board. The ROG boards do have features the so called "Lesser" boards do not and you'd have to answer what you mean by "Room to grow" - Any plans in the future for some heavy OC'ing?

Any plans for upgrading the CPU itself later with something along the lines of a hex cored Thuban or even an Octa cored Zambezi/Vishera?

Since an AM3+ can run all chips in the AM3/AM3+ family, it makes sense to look at those so you don't limit your options related to the CPU you'd want to use in the future.

I can say you don't need a ROG board to satisfy the requirements you'd stated. For example, a good Sabertooth 2.0 would do everything you're wanting without being as expensive but know even the Sabertooth is a popular board so it's not going to be exactly cheap. The Sabertooths are capable performers and can post up numbers in many cases like the ROG boards can, the only real advantage the ROG's have over it is those are for OC'ing and gaming vs the Sabertooth being a stripped down OC'er with fewer options.
One such as this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157479R would be OK but I'd personally go Asus as my first choice if I could followed by Gigabyte, then ASRock as a third choice. I'll also throw in the Sabertooth 2.0 I have was bought open box and it's been nothing but fantastic since day one and even came with all the goodies. I paid about $30 less than a new one would have cost yet it works just as well.
I've been using it way more than I've ran my CHV-Z board but the comparison betwen the two is that the CHV-Z has more options in the BIOS and the range of tunability in the BIOS is greater with the CHV-Z too. For example I can give the chipset up to 1.25v's with the Sabertooth but the selectable voltage range with the CHV-Z goes way higher there. The BIOS itself with the Sabertooth is earier to work with since it doesn't have as many options, simplifying tweaking it - A CHV-Z's BIOS can be a bit overwhelming to figure out BUT the advantage there is if it can be tweaked, there's an option for that.

The questions I'd posted up are what you need to think about before commiting to a purchase. The examples I've posted above about the differences between the models I hope will help with your final choice but in the end, it's all about $$, that being the ultimate factor in your choice.

That's my take on it at least.

Last edited:
ROG boards are built to last.. They can spend their entire life overclocked, and after years of use another owner can put the hurt on CPUs and mems. That's not to say others aren't built as well, I just don't have experience with them.

Prices are stupid. I've noticed that Phenoms on auctions cost nearly the same as new APUs.
Really I would sell that 955 BE and get something like new APU ( A8 6600K or something similar ) with some better board. Both will cost no more than $200. Other option would be something like i3 4330 + board what should also cost no more than $200. I'm actually playing all games on i3 4330 without any issues.

I understand there high end boards my thinking was that for the same price you could get a better more upgrade friendly board new, and the price on the older board made no sense.

I see my thinking was wrong, and I didn't say I necessarly needed an rog board I just wanted to look up what they were going for and was shocked.

Thanks for the info feelas sorry if I touched a nerve.

Shiozaki, I don't know your intentions with the 955 but I have my 955 on an ASUS M5A99X Evo and 1st revision link to r2.0 Great board for the price, overclocked my 955 over 5.0 on it with really good water and run it 24/7 on Air at 4.1.

I understand there high end boards my thinking was that for the same price you could get a better more upgrade friendly board new, and the price on the older board made no sense.

I see my thinking was wrong, and I didn't say I necessarly needed an rog board I just wanted to look up what they were going for and was shocked.

Thanks for the info feelas sorry if I touched a nerve.

You didn't touch a nerve , no worries. You're right thos boards are way over priced, they're good boards. If you're looking at an upgrade path get a 990fx board like Manny suggested. Even a Gigabyte 990FXa UD3 rev.4 gives you the power to handle an FX 8 core in the future and is $30 lees than the used board.

Back