• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Mobos and New Video Card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It will work. It will be bottlenecked though.

Tru dat. You'll be spending money on newer tech to run on an old system. You will see no benefit/improvement over the old video card you're replacing.

Your best bet is to spend the money on a new board/cpu and ram first, then go with the video card.

Thanks for the reply. I'm running a 99800gt now, will i see improvements with the new card or will the bottleneck negate it all?

EDIT:
Didn't see the previous reply before i posted this.

...what cpu do you have? there are still plenty of 775 cpus that could handle a 660 fairly well.. i mean it is just a 660 not a 670 or 680. bottle necked a little sure, but so bad it wouldnt be a noticeable jump from a 9800gt wouldnt think so.

You'll get a massive performance increase, bottleneck or not.
The only exceptions to that are games that are CPU bound like whoa, and even those you'll almost certainly get a noticeable bump.

Thanks guys. I have an E84 wolfdale 3ghz overclocked to 3.6 I think I'll buy it and see how much more life I can get out of this ancient rig.

thats a nice chip though games that utilize 4 cores such as bf3 will suffer quite a bit we had some one test bf3 with an [email protected] and a 6950 and it was playable but performance suffered pretty well.

Tru dat. You'll be spending money on newer tech to run on an old system. You will see no benefit/improvement over the old video card you're replacing.

Your best bet is to spend the money on a new board/cpu and ram first, then go with the video card.

You'll get a massive performance increase, bottleneck or not.
The only exceptions to that are games that are CPU bound like whoa, and even those you'll almost certainly get a noticeable bump.

This is what I meant by bottleneck (Bobnova's post, not Nebulous'). A 660 will obviously destroy a 9800, but on CPU bound games and benchmarks it won't give the results expected.

This is what I meant by bottleneck (Bobnova's post, not Nebulous'). A 660 will obviously destroy a 9800, but on CPU bound games and benchmarks it won't give the results expected.
What is it going to harm, nothing if he is not happy he can upgrade the cpu and motherboard memory at a later time. Who knows when Nvidia will come out with a new line of video cards could be another year.

Back