• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Q9400 computer!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlueNostromo

Hey guys. I saw an ad on craigslist for a desktop computer with a Q9400 in it. He has like 10+ and is selling them for $40 each minus the drives. (Probably a school or office or something). I contacted him and he said that the motherboards do have a PCIE slot though he is not sure what width. As long as it is x8 or x16, you guys think that a Q9400 would still be an alright match for a GTX 950 or something of the like?

4GB DDR2 - No clue on PSU, MOBO, and I doubt it comes with a GPU. Looks like this haha, thats all the info I know.
Capture.PNG

either just something to mess around with, gaming system for girlfriend, or for parents. I mean its $40!

If they're not gaming why even waste the money on a 950? Throw in a 720 and be done.

In the case of her gaming, it'll be meh.

Great for parents if not gaming. Solid buy.

PSU could probably not handle a 950. Also the PSU/mobo could have some type of proprietary fitment meaning it would be a pain to put in a better psu.

My vote would be to buy one and check it out. Like you said it is only $40.

If I had that deal locally I would do it just to try and OC the q9400. See if it does better then my q6600

Yeah, it's very possible you could part out the CPU and RAM for ~$40 if you end up not using it.

Back