• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old school overclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myststix

Disabled
Ok oldies, I got a good one for you.

I am trying to overclock a 486 computer.

I understand you can raise the front side bus by switching crystals.

If that works, I might try to overclock my old IBM 5150.

Totally serious about this. I collect these dinosaurs!

can always stick an old CPU or video card sink on it. Yea, swap the OSC with a better one.

It overclocks with jumpers. That diagram SHOULD be listed on the motherboard somewhere. The crystal will be either a 25/50, 33/66 or 4/80. The multiplier is more or less unlocked. Got anything most specific as far as the currect clock speed?

Z

heh, this isnt even jumpers, i picked up an AGP equiped socket 7 AT board today.
this type of stuff is cool

Got anything most specific as far as the currect clock speed?

I got an AMD 5x86-133 @ 160Mhz (40FSB x 4)

However, I think I can go faster.

I want to do 50x4=200Mhz.

Does anyone know a place that still sells overclocking crystals for these old units?

As far as heat, I got a peltier unit to cool it.

"Must ....go....faster...."

Is the clock crystal on it a 40mHz or an 80? If its an 80 you need to find the divider jumper for the crystal. As I recall you had to set that as well as others. Wish I knew what board it had. If its a supersocket7 you may not need the crystal. It may allow you control in the BIOS.

Z

You MIGHT find that part here:::
http://www.nwequipmentsales.com/Vintage PC Parts.htm

This is an old 486 board, I'll check the crystal timer and post it here. It has multiplers for 2 , 3, and 4...and bus speed right now at 25, 33, 40 and 50. It's at 50 right now.

If it is the 50mHz oscillator chip youll want to get the 66mHz. If you got the FSB to 50 wouldnt that be 50x4=200?. I'll suggest find the jumper for the divider on the motherboard. even though it is 50Mhz there is a jumper that is dividing it. Again it my be printed on the board.

Z

dude...you're awesome!!

can't help u on the OC though, when i OCd my 486s it was pretty much exclusively with the jumpers on the board. I got a 40mhz up to 120 once, but it melted the socket within minutes...was pretty amazing. The chip and board still worked fine after, but I got a huge blister pulling the cpu out of the board :p

Going for 200Mhz.

dude...you're awesome!!

can't help u on the OC though, when i OCd my 486s it was pretty much exclusively with the jumpers on the board. I got a 40mhz up to 120 once, but it melted the socket within minutes...was pretty amazing. The chip and board still worked fine after, but I got a huge blister pulling the cpu out of the board :p

Going for 200Mhz this weekend...

Back