• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

old Scythe Mugen vs new CPU coolers

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dego

Registered
I will buy Corsair 550d next week and I have a ASROCK z68 Pro mainboard that has C.C.O. (Combo Cooler Option) and i have on my i5 2500k installed the first Scythe Mugen http://www.scythe-usa.com/product/cpu/024/scinf1000.htm... . Will this cooler fit into this case? Also I want to overclock my i5 2500k and will it be worth to replace it with any more new 1155 socket cooler?

I have an option to get a Noctua NH-U12P SE2 cooler for 40€.

I coundt find any reviews of coolers that contain the first scythe mugen and the new ones, only Mugen2 rev.b

Won't you need a new mounting kit? I thought the Mugen I was 775-only.

No because I have a ASROCK z68 Pro mainboard that has C.C.O. (Combo Cooler Option) that supports this. The question is if it will fit into this case or if its worth replacing it with newer coolers?

I don't know the case. Does it have a 120mm exhaust fan? If so, it will fit a full-tower heatsink like the Mugen. It's just that you can't get away with extra-tall heatsinks in a case limited by a 120mm exhaust fan.

If it will fit into your new case then I would keep mugen as it's as good if not better than many new coolers. Even if you get something better then 2-5*C won't change anything so it would be waste of money.
I'm still using TR120 Ultra when I need air cooler for benching and it's as old as these mugens.

My Mugen 2 was a fine cooler. It sits in its original box now, but it may come out for my next build. The one weakness is the complicated mounting system.

Back