• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old Thermalright Extreme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the help and info. I'll get a mount for it soon, then first check the results with a fan I have sitting around, I think i have a good one on a old VC i used to OC (I've been a bit of a keep all my old stuff horded).

:cheers:

Assuming that's the Ultra 120 Extreme...

While the heatsink its self is capable of cooling the i7-9700F the Ultra 120 Extreme does not come with LGA115x mounting hardware. If you can fabricate the appropriate hardware than it would work fine. Otherwise you will need to look into a different cooler. 100°C is hitting the TJunction for that processor and you are likely thermal throttling so you definitely need to address this.

EDIT: The top recommended value cooler here is the Cooler Master 212 EVO. I'm partial to the 212x as the upgraded fans are a little quieter and will last longer. For my money that's worth the small premium over the std EVO. Other coolers that get a lot of love here are the Thermalright Macho 120, Thermalright TRUE Spirit 140, Phanteks PH-TC12DX, and the Noctua NH-D15.

Of course you will need to verify fit as some of these coolers are quite large.

P.S. :welcome: to OCF!

I don't see how you can recommend the 212 when OP has the TR in hand. Let us recall that the 212 costs so little because it has only 4 heatpipes. The TR has 6.

One of the other posters mentioned that one can get a TR mount for modern sockets on Amazon. I just found replacement keycaps on eBay. Let us remember that bits and adapters are available at both places. We don't always have to buy new.

If you read the thread in it's entirety I do recommend getting the new mount as he has the Thermalright already.

The post you quoted was prior to learning that newer mounts were available.

I’m kind of excited. When my mount arrives I will pit the Ultra 120 Extreme up against Le Grand Macho RT and True Spirit 140 Power on my daily rig. The only 120mm fans I have are 120x38s.. so not a fair comparison exactly, but it should do ok up against the new iron. I have nothing but good memories with that cooler. Not sure why I left it behind for a CLC. Ahh well. It probably won’t be as good as what I’m used to, but it should be pretty dam close.

I’m kind of excited. When my mount arrives I will pit the Ultra 120 Extreme up against Le Grand Macho RT and True Spirit 140 Power on my daily rig. The only 120mm fans I have are 120x38s.. so not a fair comparison exactly, but it should do ok up against the new iron. I have nothing but good memories with that cooler. Not sure why I left it behind for a CLC. Ahh well. It probably won’t be as good as what I’m used to, but it should be pretty dam close.

What is interesting is that the Megahalems--which was intended as a competitor to the 120mm TRUE--found a second life as a 140mm heatsink. Prolimatech even was able to send out mounts which allowed one to fit 140mm fans. I know because they sent me a new set. The question is: can 140mm fans fit on a formerly 120mm TRUE? If so, the TY14x series from TR might work well.

That’s a good question. Iirc there is about 1mm on each side of the fan when it’s centered on the fin stack. The fan area has a recess to it so as a guess I’ll say probably not for now, I’d have to look closer when I get home :thup:

You will have all your results before me. I'm getting it off Ebay because with the money conversion and import duties, I may as well just buy a new cooler rather than Amazon (especially if I need a new fan). Getting it off Ebay though it will only cost me $15, but I wont get it until some time in Oct. Like I said though, I can't OC anyway. If I had got a 9700k I would have needed something on the spot though, as you all know. But I'll put up my results when I get it.

Give me a link if your going to do it in a new post please

Yeah for sure man. I won’t be doing it right away, I have to share my computers these days with my wife and kids. That’s the main reason I want to build something new. I don’t always like to share :D

I even considered a dell laptop lol.

Very hard to know about a Laptop! I have one. Didn't use it much at first, now i use it every day plugged into the TV for watching online videos in big screen. :-/

Back