• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old timer, no case WC'ing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mr.OSPF

Hi All,

Been out of the WC'ing scene for a number of years. Had a heater core rig running for a number of years, and currently still running a Gigabyte Mercury 3D AIO WC Case on my Thuban X6. I know its a poor excuse, however for a giant tower aluminum case with basic WC, it was a steal at NewEgg BF for $90 in 2008.

For some reason, I've decided I want to try running case-less.
Initial draft system is going to be 2' x 2.5' plywood mounted to the wall behind my SOHO desk multi-monitor set-up.

Current heat load is moderate with the Thuban X6 OC 2.8/3.6 and stock 7870. However, I do envision an 8350 with a better OC and perhaps an R9 in the near future depending upon how the WC shapes up. This would be a work and moderate gaming system, not on 24/7.

Because I am not limited by case size, I was hoping to be able to get either a couple of heater cores or small bike radiators, and be able to avoid having a ton of fans by having excess rad capacity.

Actually, this may be insane or just plain ignorance, however I could see something like this :http://www.ebay.com/itm/N23215310A-...Tank-Mazda-RX-7-85-84-1985-1984-/190939478737

Final build is going to be 1/2" or greater lexan, with matching covers/hood/shroud. Getting a tinted cover would remove any eyesoreness I think.

I'm wondering if an Eheim 1046/48 would work?

Anyways, appreciate any fedback.
Since I've outgrown the need for LEDs and UV shiny, on the surface a $60-70 rad like this, and a 60-70 pump plus some tubing seems like a no brainer. Assuming this type of rad doesn't require massive head.

I have to admit, I am not sure... I have never seen a full sized car rad used before.

Personally, I would look into something a little more 'made for' the activity, but that is just me... Something like this is overkill and you don't have to worry about plumbing or head.

Perhaps 2 of these Phobya Extreme 480s for massive overkill..?

really all that a question damn !!!

u will find the answer in the newspaper death page :p
Helpful first post... :screwy:

For some reason, I've decided I want to try running case-less. Initial draft system is going to be 2' x 2.5' plywood mounted to the wall behind my SOHO desk multi-monitor set-up.

Sounds good to me. I ran mine attached to a piece of stained plywood for two years and loved it. Really easy to dust but makes water cooling a must. Without the case to muffle sound the traditional fans are loud.

Current heat load is moderate with the Thuban X6 OC 2.8/3.6 and stock 7870. However, I do envision an 8350 with a better OC and perhaps an R9 in the near future depending upon how the WC shapes up. This would be a work and moderate gaming system, not on 24/7.

Because I am not limited by case size, I was hoping to be able to get either a couple of heater cores or small bike radiators, and be able to avoid having a ton of fans by having excess rad capacity.

Actually, this may be insane or just plain ignorance, however I could see something like this :http://www.ebay.com/itm/N23215310A-...Tank-Mazda-RX-7-85-84-1985-1984-/190939478737

Even I would not go the car radiator route and I am a KLR kind of guy. Even full reconditioned it may impart an automotive radiator smell to your house and the fan from the car/motorcycle would be much noisier than the specialty designed computer cooling fans. I would go with a square design and if you wanted to put it with your case later it would be easy to mount in your case door. This one will take either 120mm or 180mm fans and would be big enough for all your cooling needs. You may find another you like better.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_457_458&products_id=37604

Or if you want a more traditional radiator that is like a rectangle this is a 140mm fan unit.

http://www.performance-pcs.com/cata...oduct_info&cPath=59_457_458&products_id=38758

Frankly with current radiator designs it's hard to go wrong with copper and brass on any of them.

As for a pump I have a D5 from Koolance that has a tach so I plug it into my cpu fan slot and I can monitor RPM. From what I can read they last a long time and are really stong, my pump pressure is great. It also comes in a D5-S model for an even stronger pump that can take 24v and dramatically increase pressure.

Both my resevoir (I went with a large 250ml) and my radiator are outside my case and it looks great. I have received several positive comments from my friends.

Anyways, appreciate any fedback.
Since I've outgrown the need for LEDs and UV shiny, on the surface a $60-70 rad like this, and a 60-70 pump plus some tubing seems like a no brainer. Assuming this type of rad doesn't require massive head.

Earthdog and Clovett,

Thanks much for the info and links, I know my post was kinda long however I wanted to put more information at the outset.

I probably should have said I was hoping to possibly trade attractiveness for lower cost, hence the heater core/small radiator. I'm a little surprised that the cost for decent rads have seemed to gone done in the past years.
Very, very good point about possible radiator odor too!

I did find the Phobya rads the other night, not sure if they are considered low/med/high quality... ? Actually, Xoxide seems to indicate they are 'high-end', so I guess its good enough.
Found an older review here: http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=212442
is this still fairly accurate?

Thanks again!

For the most part, sure it is.

I was going that size (square) radiator because you seemed to want something epic on the wall. You can even go say 3x 3x120mm rads and string em together.

I think though 2 of those phobya's will achieve your goal. One of them can cool the setup your propose well (with fans on low). Two should be perfect for your goals of silence as well.

Oh yeah, I am thinking that is the ticket.

Now, to see if they honor the price when they get new stock in.

Yeah, I would take a good look at those Mo-ra/Supernova rads. I personally like the Mo-ra. Since you've been gone for so long, check out Frozencpu and Performance-pcs for a big selection in water cooling parts and availability.

Thanks, saw that monster 1260 however there's a point to overkill...$$$
Been checking out Frozen and Performance among others, very interesting.

For something this size (rad), any suggestions on a reasonably priced pump thats quiet?

This might sound dingy, and I've never water cooled yet myself, but has anyone ever tried using a base board water heater for a radiator.

Was just a thought running one down the floor on the back side of a room and using for a radiatior.

???

http://www.pexsupply.com/Multi-Pak-80-Baseboard-Heaters-1143000

http://www.pexsupply.com/Slant-Fin-103061070-H-1-Heating-Element-for-Multi-Pak-80-7-ft

Just thought I'd ask, It just came to mind while reading the thread.

Could even run two short runs one over the other with a u connector and have the input outputs on the same end.

You could just heat your house a bit if ya needed to a bit while using the computer really, though I'm in Florida and don't heat much.

Might even be able to write it off on your taxes as a energy thing, he he.

Last edited:
This might sound dingy, and I've never water cooled yet myself, but has anyone ever tried using a base board water heater for a radiator.

Was just a thought running one down the floor on the back side of a room and using for a radiatior.

Might even be able to write it off on your taxes as a energy thing, he he.

I wouldn't try writing such a thing off your taxes, but they are your taxes.

There are tons of ways to utilize radiators. That baseboard heater core has copper tubing, it might not be efficient due to lack of fans and only three tubes but it should work to some degree especially if you use the 7 ft one.

I wouldn't try writing such a thing off your taxes, but they are your taxes.

There are tons of ways to utilize radiators. That baseboard heater core has copper tubing, it might not be efficient due to lack of fans and only three tubes but it should work to some degree especially if you use the 7 ft one.
Was just a thought more or less, it came to mind while reading the post then I went and looked for the heaters to begin with after that and just posted first one I saw.

Cheers!

:D

Was just a thought more or less, it came to mind while reading the post then I went and looked for the heaters to begin with after that and just posted first one I saw.

Actually it's kind of brilliant. Your radiator would be in plain view but hidden, you put the reservoir at the end of the cover and the pump under the cover. Two quick disconnects and nothing but tubing in your system would allow for any type of computer case.

Yeppers, something along those lines, I hadn't really thought it out that far.

Just seemed it would work pretty well perhaps.

Last edited:
Back