• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old X4 build gets new life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

storm-chaser

Disabled
This motherboard is not the best board for overclocking but its all I've got left. I originally tried my AMD 970T processor in here(because it has an option for unlocking the extra cores) but that didn't work. Just a black screen. So here I am, back with an old X4 965, but it really does seem to handle 4.0Ghz no problem. Any further, and I get a BSOD, despite good cooling I cant seem to go any higher. Capture.JPG

Last edited:
If you really want to see if you can push higher, maybe try dropping the NB freq down.
From what I've seen 1.4v for 4.0 if it's stable is pretty good for that chip, especially considering the board you're using. I'd bet you may be able to get more out of it.

If you really want to see if you can push higher, maybe try dropping the NB freq down.
From what I've seen 1.4v for 4.0 if it's stable is pretty good for that chip, especially considering the board you're using. I'd bet you may be able to get more out of it.

I moved the NB back down to 2.2Ghz and still I can't get anything more out of it. I'm happy with 4.0 Ghz. It runs cooler and faster than my X5470 Xeon that I had modded to an LGA 775 board. Much cooler.

cant really compare the older generation AMD chips to any Intel when it comes to temps. Most Intel are good to around 90c, AMD are around 65c.

cant really compare the older generation AMD chips to any Intel when it comes to temps. Most Intel are good to around 90c, AMD are around 65c.

My Intel chip ran in the 140-150*F range for most of its operating life, with the same cooler I can run my AMD 965 @ 110-125 range and this is a significant drop in ambient temps. Everyone loves a cool running CPU, that's all!

I think I've pushed this rig to the limit. But I do have a spare 970T processor I am seeking a home for. If anyone has an old AM2+ board with DDR3 support that's hopefully going to be my next project.

No such thing.

960T or 970 BE

Just for grins, what's your location in NY?
So what exactly do you think a 960T is?
Because what I have is a Zosma based core that was only supplied to OEM. This is a rare Thuban based processor with two cores locked. A BE processor contains and designates only a Denab based core, where the T designation refers to a Zosma based CPU, or a Thuban based core (as far as I know that was only the 960T and the 970). Some motherboards can unlock these 970s resulting in a 3.5Ghz hexacore CPU. I may not have the designation exact, but as you can see, the genealogy gets a little complicated. I would go as far to say it is one of the most unique and rare processors in existence. When unlocked, CPU-Z refers to this processor as a 1705T, effectively making it the fastest hex-a-core Phenom II, ever released, in unlocked form.

Located in Schenectady NY, just outside of Albany.

Edited for clarity: "T" Stands for "Turbo Core" not "Thuban" which resulted in confusion over the naming convention. I technically have a 970 Rev PH-EO.

Last edited:
Early versions of CPU Z referred to this processor as a 1705T, where the later versions refer to it as a 1700T, regardless it is a beast. Here are some screenshots from the Autumn Equinox Competition. This was a bench hosted here on overclockers.com quite some time ago. Edit: I did not place 3rd, I think it was more like 7th as this screenshot was taken before the end of the competition, but the CPU did surprisingly well with core I7s in the memory latency department.

CPUz1.JPG

AIDA64 CPUz.JPG

ZZme rev A.JPG

Last edited:
What I'm saying is, there's no such thing as a 970T.
You either have a 960T or a 970 BE.

I know exactly what a 960T is thanks. Here's mine.

View attachment 194897

This is what you have.
http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition - HDZ970FBK4DGR.html

There is also a Zosma based 640 model.

The OEM only 'T' processors were 840T and 960T.
Previous post edited for clarity. You are correct, I referred to this as a "Thuban" 970, when I say 970T so perhaps my naming isn't perfectly accurate, but as a way to separate it from it's little brother, the Deneb. Because it technically doesn't have "Turbo Stepping" it is not a "T" based chip, the name I used is not correct and only a reference to the core being a "thuban" and not a "Turbo" core. Although it does have a turbo core option available and active in the bios (I've never tested, however). And I said before, it's the fastest Phenom II ever released when it's unlocked. Also far more rare than the 960T. And when it's unlocked, the stock naming convention goes out the window. Because then it becomes a 1700T, so go ahead and call it what you want ;)

Last edited:
Where abouts are you located in NY? We should have a little bench off if you are close by... really see what that Zosma is made of ... lol

A little more upstate than you are. Spencerport, a little west of Rochester.

A little more upstate than you are. Spencerport, a little west of Rochester.

Okay well if you are ever in the area hit me up. I think it would be really cool to team up for an overclock or two. That goes for Mandrake as well, I'm a few hours north of you.

Okay well if you are ever in the area hit me up. I think it would be really cool to team up for an overclock or two. That goes for Mandrake as well, I'm a few hours north of you.
Thanks Storm, as of now my benching days are few and far between. I opened a new store 18 months ago and have been putting quite a few hours in to get it where it needs to be.

Thanks all, I'm there 7 days a week so that's where I've been. I'm considering setting up a cold loop in the 8x6x2 freezer which is next to my office so I can bench. Though, I'm sure the health department may frown on it. :D.

Back