• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Old X4 build gets new life

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks all, I'm there 7 days a week so that's where I've been. I'm considering setting up a cold loop in the 8x6x2 freezer which is next to my office so I can bench. Though, I'm sure the health department may frown on it. :D.

Oh heck yea, a nice freezer at your disposal...can't pass that up! ;)

Thanks all, I'm there 7 days a week so that's where I've been. I'm considering setting up a cold loop in the 8x6x2 freezer which is next to my office so I can bench. Though, I'm sure the health department may frown on it. :D.

What they don't know can't hurt you. Tell them it's part of your computerized temperature monitoring system. State of the art stuff there. :D

Freezers are for you city folk. Up here in the 'dacks we use the cool nights for better overclocks. lol. Usually involves blocks of ICE, moving computer components out the window to the porch or channeling cold air through the window directly into the case (cold air induction for all you motor heads) all in an effort to maximize performance potential. And what wont the true enthusiast do for a few more MHZ? That was years ago now, different time and a different place, growing up in what was typically the coldest place in the nation. Had it's perks I suppose!

EDIT: FINALLY MOVING TO THE DARK SIDE: I recently acquired a Z77 MOBO and 2GB NVidia GT 740 that will be taking over for the venerable Phenom II X4 CPU / HD 5770 rig. I won't be sad to see it go now that I can take full advantage of SATA 6GB/Sec for my SSD, along with other performance enhancements like DDR3 3000+. I will be passing the torch with the addition of a certain sandy bridge processor (which I don't have yet), all in an effort to guide me and my brain, out of the stone age.

Last edited:
Freezers are for you city folk. Up here in the 'dacks we use the cool nights for better overclocks. lol. Usually involves blocks of ICE, moving computer components out the window to the porch or channeling cold air through the window directly into the case (cold air induction for all you motor heads) all in an effort to maximize performance potential. And what wont the true enthusiast do for a few more MHZ? That was years ago now, different time and a different place, growing up in what was typically the coldest place in the nation. Had it's perks I suppose!

EDIT: FINALLY MOVING TO THE DARK SIDE: I recently acquired a Z77 MOBO and 2GB NVidia GT 740 that will be taking over for the venerable Phenom II X4 CPU / HD 5770 rig. I won't be sad to see it go now that I can take full advantage of SATA 6GB/Sec for my SSD, along with other performance enhancements like DDR3 3000+. I will be passing the torch with the addition of a certain sandy bridge processor (which I don't have yet), all in an effort to guide me and my brain, out of the stone age.
City folk? LOL
When I had the time mother nature came in handy. The first setup is my kitty littler bucket filled with 50/50 antifreeze and distilled, 700gph pond pump. I have fittings attached so I can connect a gpu to the loop as well. I hang it outside the window in the winter, I've seen -15c water temps on really good nights.
outside h20.jpg
rig outside.JPG

City folk? LOL
When I had the time mother nature came in handy. The first setup is my kitty littler bucket filled with 50/50 antifreeze and distilled, 700gph pond pump. I have fittings attached so I can connect a gpu to the loop as well. I hang it outside the window in the winter, I've seen -15c water temps on really good nights.
View attachment 195150
View attachment 195151

Now that is how it is done son!

Here it is on all stock settings with 8GB CL1 7-8-7-24 memory @ 1600Mhz:
I guess CPU-z could be wrong, but turbo core is enabled and active in the bios...
stockbench.PNG

Mr. Scott is scary when it comes to old AMD chips...
mrscott1.jpg

edit: Actually, any old chip. I sent him a 9650x ES and when I asked how it did he informed me he killed a motherboard with it. The man is an assassin. :rofl:

I would like to run that chip again on a better board.
I just haven't replaced it yet.

I have a non es 9650 I somehow managed to get from Rgone, damn thing is a space heater!

Back