• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older system limits?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skaughtz

I recently dusted off an old system of mine that I decided I wanted to test the limits of with today's MMOs.

Asus M2N AM2
Athlon 64 X2 6000+ (89W Windsor)
4GB DDR2 800
Radeon HD 6670 1GB DDR5 (had this lying around and it is a far sight better than the 6600GT that was in the system)
Sata2 HDD

I built this back sometime around 2007 or so. Anyway, my wife has decided that she wants to play some MMOs with me (SWTOR, WOW, etc.) and she enjoys using my current gaming rig. So, rather than build a new system for me to use (because I'm cheap and she will likely lose interest in a week), does anyone think there is a way to tweak this system enough to get respectable gameplay? She's a big fan of SWTOR, which I'm not really familiar with, so that's my focus. I can't help but think that the CPU and memory are going to severely limit things, but I have no idea how these older parts hold up nowadays. I'd be happy with low detail/resolution as long as things aren't choppy.

MMO's are usually CPU needy.... not sure how something that old will fare with those titles honestly...

MMOs are typically pretty CPU bound in the first place, so that old Athlon is going to struggle...

Code:
What are the system requirements for the game? 

Processor:
•AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ or better
•Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz or better

Operating System:
•Windows XP Service Pack 3 or later

RAM:
•Windows XP: 1.5GB RAM
•Windows Vista and Windows 7: 2GB RAM

Note: PCs using a built-in graphical chipset are recommended to have 2GB of RAM.
Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a video card that has a minimum of 256MB of on-board RAM as well as support for Shader 3.0 or better. Examples include:
•ATI X1800 or better
•nVidia 7800 or better
•Intel 4100 Integrated Graphics or better

That's from the SWTOR site, it shows Athlon dual core to be the bare minimum.

If the HDD isn't to slow and degraded I would think its playable. Prolly try 1280x720, with mostly medium level graphics but turn off the killers like shadows, no aa, etc and a fairly low view distance. Should be able to find some game specific tweak guides.

Just make sure Windows is booting decently and in good shape, not alot of bloatware or other crap slowing it down.

Back