• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older system, looking to upgrade for 1 game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trueX

Registered
Ok so I am back after a few years overseas. I used to have blue star mod status but seems the site got a wipe or something..anyhow, ill admit ive lost a lot of my knowledge and my system is not what it used to be so be gentle, plan to upgrade soon but this is what im working with.

CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 3ghz
Mobo : Asus P5Q Pro (newest Bios 2102 as of today)
RAM : 2x2gb (4gb) G-Skill pc2600 running in Dual DDR Mode

GPU : GeForce 9500 GT 1 gig
(specs as follows)
Direct X Support - 10
CUDA Cores - 32
Core Clock - 550mhz
Shader Clock - 1375mhz
Mem Data Rate - 800mhz
Mem Interface - 128 bit
Total Avail Graphics - 2431mb
Dedicated Video Memory - 1024mb

HDD : WD 120g SATA 7200rpm.

So I only play Diablo 3, and would like a bit more performance FPS wise ingame without building a new i5+ system from the ground up if possible (ya i know im cheap). Here is my problem...im using the Antec 900 Case (http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Antec-Nine-Hundred-Case/387/1) and it says it DOES NOT come with a power supply...except mine did. I am have a hard time finding the wattage of this generic PS installed in the bottom, and that brings up problem 2..most of the 500+ watt PS dont seem like they will fit in the case due to dimensions. I think this PS is 3.5x5.5x5, and the 400w generic one at BBY seems like it would fit but the 550w one of the same brand is larger and I dont want to get a PS that obviously wont fit in my case. I was wanting to switch out my 9500GT w DDR2 to say a 550ti or 610-640 (preferable 640) but a lot of them require 400+ watt PS minimum to be safe and I really dont think my PS is that high (pretty sure its 350w). I am only running 1 HDD, Fans on low speed, and the video card. Everything else is onboard so I think im mizimizing the power draw but still, hate to get a new card and the bottleneck be the crap arse PS.

Here are the voltages I got from the BIOS

CPU - 1.208v
3.3v - 3.280v
5v - 5.112v
12v - 11.928v

Just wondering what my options are for PS and or GPU wise IF I stay w this PS if possible, and if not, any options on finding out what PS this case actually came with. Seems to have no markings or watt rating on it at all :(

TYIA

Last edited:
Some other additional specs if needed:

CPU Temp - 37c / 98f
MB Temp - 29c / 84f

CPU Fan Speed : 1720rpm (set to turbo) but on low via the switch
Chassis 2 Fan : 2300rpm (set to turbo) but on low via the switch
Power Fan Speed : 2550rpm

1066 mhz ram, I think the timings are 5-5-5-15 when set to manual.

Have set all the GFX settings in windows (set to best perf) and in the nVidia controller (forced all non needed stuff off) and also ingame (lowered some texture settings) to allow for best FPS (AA off etc) runs well, but I think it could run better?

Last edited:
The antec 900 will fit any PSU on the market I had one.

A corsair cx430/500 PSU would be a good buy for a single GPU and the PSU is the heart of the system don't get a cheap one.

I think a 550ti would be a good choice for your current setup if you had more cash I would opt for a AMD 7870 2gb.

Man I dunno the MOBO is so so so close to the PS at the bottom, within 1/8th inch, I may have to take it out to actually measure but its not the case im actually worried about restricting the PS but the motherboard itself, looks like if the PS is any larger physically it will hit the mobo?

Ill try to get a pic via phone and upload it for viewing to see what I mean.

+1 for the AMD 7870 2gb and overclock E8400 to 3.8GHz

hell I must have been gone awhile..didnt even know AMD now made video cards lol. And as far as overlocking the E8400, I have no problem w that just wondering what would be the best multiplier / FSB combo to go with. What im reading so far is this (pls tell me if im offbase)

-Set RAM speed manually in BIOS to 1066mhz vs AUTO (which apparently only selects 800mhz)

-CPU Multiplier : ?? (in the BIOS it says unlocked 0-9, but not sure on default setting)
-FSB : 333 (default is auto)
-FSB Strap : AUTO
-Set mem voltage @ 2.2
-Northbridge voltage @ 1.3
DRAM Static Read : DISABLE
DRAM Read Timing : DISABLE
OC Charger : ENABLE
AI Trans Booster : Manual
Performance Level : 10 (vs 5 on default)

So what would yall recommend as a good stable Multiplier & FSB combo to get up to 3.5+ ghz (and im sorry, its only a 3.0ghz chip, not 3.2, I misread) so 3.8 may be stretching it, but id think 3.4-3.6 would be attainable since my temps are good

Guessing im by default at 9x333 which would give me 2997 mhz (aka 3ghz)

edit: according to the reading im doing, 3.6ghz is cake and 4.0ghz is dooable with upping the vCore to 1.45 and FSB at 445. Gonna try 3.6 via the FSB only, see how it goes, then up vCore and see if she will boot at 4ghz. 9x445

Last edited:
Up at running off the bat @ 4ghz. Just set FSB to 445 and CPU x @ 9, upped vCore to 1.45 to be safe since my temps were fine. Booted and gaming as stable as it was before....cant believe a 1ghz gain was this easy :/

4ghz_zps8597e785.jpg

Now off to overlocking the GPU if poss, I may have a smaller PS but still, I have almost NO draw on it. No CD disk or floppy drives, only 1 card expansion card (PCI-x video card), as the sound & ethernet are onboard...so only the CPU, Memory, GPU & Fans are pulling any wattage. Now I remember why I liked this so much lol.

Thx, so far so good!! - EDIT: What would be the recommended program nowadays for monitoring stats etc. I used to use CPU-Z or CPU-ID if i recall its name correctly?

Last edited:
Just to roll back to one of the initial questions - Not sure if it's been fully answered. But, I have an antec 900 and an Antec 900-2 case. Both of them will fit any powersupply Best Buy sells.. Generally speaking (This isn't true in all cases, but most.) Power supplys are made to a standard widthxheight. The length is usually what changes, in my experience. So, it might be hard to actually get it in, but once it is, it won't interfere with anything.

Currently, in my 900-2 case, I run a 1000w Ultra PSU. It's a good inch or two longer then most of the other units I've seen - But same height and width.

Ah ok good, ya seems most just get longer, not taller. As long as they dont get taller and i dont get into the mobo, all should be good. Wanna get at least a 600+ watt I can use in any new system I build. This one came with an LED light one and speed control, its held up good so far but I know its not fit for a new new system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 ?

$73 bucks, 620w but not sure on the brand name, never heard of it. Might wanna shell out more for a TTake or Corsair or something possibly?

Last edited:
Ah ok good, ya seems most just get longer, not taller. As long as they dont get taller and i dont get into the mobo, all should be good. Wanna get at least a 600+ watt I can use in any new system I build. This one came with an LED light one and speed control, its held up good so far but I know its not fit for a new new system.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151095 ?

$73 bucks, 620w but not sure on the brand name, never heard of it. Might wanna shell out more for a TTake or Corsair or something possibly?

Based on reviews from buyers its a hit or miss type of deal......I have some friends that have seasonic and they havent had problems with it .......good relaiable brands are Corsair,OCZ,Cooler Master,Thermaltake.....just make sure you do your research ..... just like peanutbudder said it is the heart of the system

Ya I guess when debating one what to buy that will support EVERY other part I throw at it I should get something I know is reliable. What good would a new system be if the PS was crap I guess. Will buck up a bit more and get a name brand 650+ for the new i5 when time comes.

Thinking 600+ watt Corsair or Thermaltake PS Inter Quad Core i5, Asus Mobo, 4gig ram for 32-bit Win7, nVidia 550ti or 640 (not sure which out performs which atm) and keep my case and monitors etc. Time to save some $$ lol

Just thought I'd jump in with the simple answer; if Diablo 3 is the only game you're playing, our GT 640 GC has the same power requirements as your 9500GT and will easily handle it with max settings at 1080p. With a good overclock you could probably maintain 60fps at all times. It's running $65 at Newegg right now, so it's a pretty killer deal:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162113

If you want some extra headroom, a GTX 650 is about 50% faster. It needs a 6-pin aux. power input, but in truth it has the same TDP as the GT 640 at 65W so you should still be safe. It's running $90 right now after rebates:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814162124

Either of these cards should be more than enough for Diablo III and would be a really simple swap for current rig.

Nice!, I saw those cards since I waited on the 550ti & really like the specs. At BBY the eVga 640 card is only like $70 bucks!! So going to get it I guess, stable at 4ghz, and ill upgrade this card and be good to go for now.

SO the 1gb 640 ?? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Galaxy+...Card/5606912.p?id=1218671142743&skuId=5606912
or the 2gb 630 ?? not sure the extra mem will be better w the slower card, its the same price. http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+G...Card/5594282.p?id=1218668292998&skuId=5594282

The eVGA card is ok, but for the same price after rebate and shipping the Galaxy card has a factory OC and a much better cooling solution. Since you're putting this in a fairly compact machine you might appreciate a card that will run considerably cooler and quieter. I've tested one myself and it wouldn't even register on my sound meter at max load. It also overclocked like a beast. I was able to run my card at 1140Mhz with no problems, which is a solid 26% over reference.

Oh, and there's a Galaxy rep on the forums who can help with any problems or questions you might have later on. That includes rebates and replacements as well. Just FYI :)

Back