• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older system, looking to upgrade for 1 game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The 52A 5v rail is pretty ridiculous though. The size of the 12v rail relative to the total wattage is a pretty good indication of quality in my opinion, especially for graphics. I've got a PSU with a 117A 12v rail and it's still only got 28A on the 5v. Basically less than half of this PSU's output is available to the graphics card.
to me, and Im no PSU expert, that tells me more about the AGE of the unit than it does the quality of it. Again, back in the day, PC's, IIRC, ran off the 5v/3.3v rails so there was more placed on those rails than the 12v. Now days, a PC mostly runs off the 12v so that is why that is more heavy than the other rails. ;)

guessing you most likely cant see this but...this is all it offers me to add pics to the site directly.

ForumImages_zps4f7f8bca.jpg
I cant.

ya i dunno :/ the picture you attached does not match what my forums look like, there is no "paperclip" icon, but just the landscape looking image that says "attach picture" when hovered over, maybe im just off today lol?
You need to be in GO ADVANCED to see all the icons available.

Allied PSUs are, by and large, abysmal. Here's a pretty typical Allied PSU review: http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=65

Any time you have to add the negative voltages to get to the specified maximum voltage, stay away.
Any time the 5v rail has more amps than the 12v rail, it's an ancient unit and should be avoided.
Any time you can't find real reviews (that is, using a real load (not PC parts) and a real oscilloscope), stay away.

I expect that unit to go BANG when faced with a higher draw GPU. Actually I'm kind of surprised it hasn't died or killed something already, as the caps are most likely Asia-X / Fuhjyyu, which have a limited lifespan at best.

In short, it's new PSU time.
That PSU only meets the specs if you believe the label, which is almost certainly false information. Given that the label is about as useful in figuring out the quality as the national flag flown by a pirate ship is in figuring out whether it's a pirate ship, you can't judge the PSU based on said label at all. Other, of course, than by the name stamped on it. In this case that is "Allied", which translates to "run away!"

My advice: Do not turn that PSU on at all, let alone with parts you don't want to fry.

@ Galaxy
But I digress, dubious quality or not that PSU does meet the technical requirements for all the graphics cards in question. I believe that's all we wanted to determine.

pretty much...appreciated. If its still running with 0 BSOD in 9 years..guess im lucky as all heck LOL

its not a new PC, so im not too worried,
Its plenty new enough to use the 12v as its primary power source...

Well, we said our peace and for your sake, I hope that PSU works for you, but by no means would I give that unit to my enemy even. Sorry man, and GL. :)

Just wanted to do some quick math with you..

650ti power = 110W
CPU = 65W
Mobo/fans/HDD/RAM = 75W?

= 250W... just too close for comfort on such a piece.

Ok, Im off officially. Good luck sir! :)

to me, and Im no PSU expert, that tells me more about the AGE of the unit than it does the quality of it. Again, back in the day, PC's, IIRC, ran off the 5v/3.3v rails so there was more placed on those rails than the 12v. Now days, a PC mostly runs off the 12v so that is why that is more heavy than the other rails. ;)

I suppose you're right. I've still got an old 386 in storage and its PSU is built like a brick privy. Still, it's never a good sign when having to use the term "back in the day" to describe your hardware.

Sidenote:
The (theoretical) rail distribution on a PSU label doesn't tell you anything at all about the quality of the PSU.
Even if the label is correct (one hell of an assumption on an off/junk-brand) the way the rails are set up tells you absolutely nothing about the quality of the power.

Ya just going to save time $$ and get a new box in the works as it seems like most every item needs updating..working or not, hell im still using pc2700 DDR2 Ram. Just gonna start building a new one, bare case first..then PS..then pick a new Intel chipset Mobo and i5 and go from there...running this one till it blows though! LOL

Thinking this after a SMALL bit of research.

ASUS P8Z77-V LK Motherboard
650w Black Thermaltake PSU
4 gig DDR3-L
GeForce 650Ti 1gb (maybe 2)

and I dont store much on my personal everyday box (external HD ftw) so just get a 120gb SSD

Id get all your parts within a month of each other, or save until you can make that happen. The landscape changes soooo fast!

Would prefer to keep it under $1000, but if im building a new box, I want good current stuff. Want more than an i3 but dont feel I need an i7, was thinking i5. Dont use floppys or CD drives, im a pretty mimimal guy when it comes expansion items.

My uses for my box are as follows. Stream Pandora, run a dual monitor setup, mostly have 2-3 firefox tabs open at a time, torrent weekly videos and watch them etc, play D3 on one monitor while at times watching a video from YouTube or something on the other. Use Winamp to play music ran out to my home stereo. I really dont need a SCREAMING box, but I DO like quality equip for my $$ if poss :)

Nah, SLI is great im sure but no interest in multiple cards, same with a RAID and HDD's. I like to keep it minimal and functional as possible :)

EDIT: Sry for any Typo's, watching this weeks "Justified" on the other monitor :)

Back