• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older system, looking to upgrade for 1 game.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Buying a QUALITY PSU resolves that power concern. If I buy a Corsair AX series, or Seasonic anything, THat bad boy better run at 100% of what it says it can do for the life of its warranty...Now, would I do that... naaa, as that leaves no room at all for upgrades or transient response either.

Well said EarthDog, ya I know a Quality PSU is a no brainer. Always do when building a new box but this one just came with the PS and ive just been lazy and stuck w it as it sufficed so far, but now wanting to push the box a bit more, I get nervous sitting on a generic most likely unreliable 350w MAX PSU lol

Well, its not so much that rated wattage as it is the amperage on the 12v rails you need to be concerned about.

Can you post a link to the PSU or post a screen shot of the label so we can read it?

That is really strange you are having issues with power supplies fitting. I have an Antec 900 that I previously had a Corasir 550HX and now have a Seasonic X-750 Gold and both have fit without issue. There are even little metal dividers in the case that keep the motherboard and psu seperate

@ Earthdog, will try here in a sec but so far the PSU I kid you NOT has like ZERO labels on it, just a silver box with NO stickers on it...its driving me nuts lol

EDIT: shutting box off for a bit to unhook and get pics of the PSU etc.

Ok short of removing the PSU again which wont do me much good. Here are the pics I got and the ONE single sticker on the friggin PSU :/

PSU as it sits in case (lil to no room) -
PS5_zps958ad7c4.jpg

Another angle of the PSU -
PS1_zpsfade1187.jpg

The ONE sticker/label that is on the entire PSU -
PS2_zpsf507eec4.jpg

Top pic of PSU in case -
PS3_zps0a87b487.jpg

Backside of PSU as it is in case -
PS4Back_zps47eb1039.jpg

doubt that helps but not much else I can do. It does not even have any type of Brand Name on it to try to research it, just came w the box :/

So noting on the 'motherboard' side of that PSU? or the top (opposite side of the fan)?

Yikes.. I would honestly replace that thing before you do anything personally.

Just 99.9% sure I remember from back when I got the box that it said it was a 350w PSU in it bc I was working at the store from where I purchased it.

EDIT: @ EarthDog, no I have already removed it once 2 days ago, just didnt wanna do it again for the pics, it has no labeling remarks on it of any type or id have already researched this mofo :/ and as it the box tbh runs just fine, but still, any type of upgrading and I know at the VERY LEAST ill want first and foremost a good PSU, and hence lies the first problem that keeps me from doing much of anything lol

There's something shady about a PSU with no wattage label. It's not on the bottom of the thing, is it? That would be a pretty retarded design choice but then that PSU looks kind of homemade, like it was built in a project box from RadioShack or something.

Still, if it's running a 9500GT now without problems, a GT 640 shouldn't upset anything. However, if you ever do get any random problems or instability I'd be awfully suspicious of this mystery PSU of indeterminate spec.

There's something shady about a PSU with no wattage label. It's not on the bottom of the thing, is it? That would be a pretty retarded design choice but then that PSU looks kind of homemade, like it was built in a project box from RadioShack or something.

Still, if it's running a 9500GT now without problems, a GT 640 shouldn't upset anything. However, if you ever do get any random problems or instability I'd be awfully suspicious of this mystery PSU of indeterminate spec.
Absolutely... :thup:

Ya im with yall. I got it while working at BBY and am fairly knowledgeable about PC's etc (so I think) and am a former MAC PC repair tech and Geek Squad agent (dont laugh lol) so I got this box but no...it has nothing on the darn PS. But on the upside it has NEVER once since buying it had a BSOD or any problem really at all. D3 actually runs just fine, played it since day 1 it was released on this box, but just got bored recently and wanted to see how much I could improve it..and its like the more I dig for info, the more confusing it gets lol. Its ran the 9500GT since I got it w the box in like 2004. Built this box from the ground up, havent ever switched out any parts and its never locked up so im not TOOOO worried but now running 1ghz more (which has helped a small bit in games FWIW) its got me thinking of upgrading etc, and the VC was the first option...but again...the PSU just has me re-debating it.

It's not on the bottom of the thing, is it?

DAMNIT you HAD to say that didnt you lol, I didnt actually look at the BOTTOM of it when it was removed 2 days ago, I assume its NOT on the bottom but now you got me wanting to make sure and disassemble the darn box again lol

Gonna shut off box again, unscrew this darn thing and look at the mobo side and bottom side again to make sure there are NOT marks I missed. Be back w yall soon!

Its 4 screws and lifting it a bit... unless you find a sticker than you are REQUIRED to take a picture of it. :p

ya so feel pretty stupid..dont remember seeing many PSU's w the labeling on the bottom so didnt think to really check at the time. Anyhow here it is.

PSBottomDOH_zpsfe7d697f.jpg

ALLIED - AL-B500E (MAX 500W) ATX500w Switching Power Supply. It says the where you can't see due to the flash... as follows : "+5v, and +3.3v total power combined not to exceed 260w" and "5v, +12v and +3.3v total power combined not to exceed 472w"

Ill do some research on this PS now

Allied... ZOINKS... likely a HUGE turd Im sorry to say...

ANd can you please host the picture at the site? My work blocks external image hosting like you have.. sorry.

OCFinsertimages.png

Hmm..researched the PS and it seems to be fairly solid :/

here are the quotes.

"This PSU is a fairly good product. Mine had been through three machines, and functioned very well for the P-4 machines it went through. It handles AGP cards very well indeed."

"These power supplies are great very little voltage fluctuation for the first year then they start dieing mind you the schools comp is on 24 7"

"Excellent PSU. Have been running this unit without an issue for almost 3 years now. Have 5 hard drives, 2 dvd burners and a floppy hooked up to it. Very reliable."

"after 3 years and 2 months it is still very close on all voltages 12.11-3.31-5.05. It has outlasted 4 other brand power supplies in builds around the same time. Even the fan leds still work"

" I have been using the unit since May 2005 and I have not had any trouble or issues. I have been running 5 case fans, a Radeon 9800 Pro, 2 optical drives, 4 hard drives and have not had any power issues"

Those are from Newegg.com but the PS is no longer produced, but it has been running pretty much 24/7 since 2004 and has never BSOD once :/ knock on wood.

EDIT: hoping im lucky lol - and found this final quote on a diff site

"Everything is perfectly stable and has plenty of power. It easily out-powered a Antec 450w I had before it. I would not hesitate to recommend this PSU to anyone'

Can't believe its still running 100% stable 9 years later :0 (bought in Nov 2004). Since I have only 1 HDD, no floppy or CDRW drives or any other cards in the motherboard other than the PCI-E video card that are drawing any type of power, im now thinking I can get away with a 650Ti and be fine if I had to guess?

Last edited:
Those metrics do not make a power supply good. Not remotely...and newegg.com reviews are 90% garbage outside of DOA's as, for the most part, the people just dont have a clue what makes things 'good'... and some of those comments are just, well... funny. Proper PSU REVIEWS are what you want to look up from jonnyguru.com, [h], techpowerup, and here (we didnt review that thing) to name a few.

Its an OLD unit is also part of the problem. PC's were powered different back when this thing was new. Now your PC is powered, mostly, off the 12v rail(s), so modern PSU's will focus their power on that rail. PSU's also degrade over time.

That said, if its working, I guess its working, I would just hate to see that thing, at worst, take out your PC or components if it craps out, regardless if the GPU you are upgrading to is the same or less power. I strongly encourage you to get a new PSU ASAP. Something like the Corsair CX430 is a great budget PSU.

Your picture does not work... not sure you followed those instructions homeh.

EDIT: Here is the label, dont worry about it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817154015

It has 20A on the 12v rail at most.. thats 360W... IF it can actually put that out CLEANLY, its ok, if not... potential problems. Overall its just a POS PSU man...and you are gambling with your PC by using it. I hate to say that but.. yeah...

Last edited:
ya i dunno :/ the picture you attached does not match what my forums look like, there is no "paperclip" icon, but just the landscape looking image that says "attach picture" when hovered over, maybe im just off today lol?

Well, with a 500W rating and a 20A 12v rail it does indeed meet the official requirements for the GTX 650 Ti, which is 400W w/ 20A rail. This does open up your options and pretty much leaves you to decide based on how much you're willing to spend on the new card.

The 52A 5v rail is pretty ridiculous though. The size of the 12v rail relative to the total wattage is a pretty good indication of quality in my opinion, especially for graphics. I've got a PSU with a 117A 12v rail and it's still only got 28A on the 5v. Basically less than half of this PSU's output is available to the graphics card.

But I digress, dubious quality or not that PSU does meet the technical requirements for all the graphics cards in question. I believe that's all we wanted to determine.

Back