• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Older Windows 10 versions are faster (FPS) ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kenrou

Can anyone with a 2015-2016 version of Windows 10 and a bit of free time check up on this ?

I didn't watch the video, but can't say I am at all surprised. There are new features, threat mitigations, etc. I also don't imagine the difference to be much at all for an overwhelming majority.
EDIT: Skimmed through it... I won't notice the difference between 310 and 290 FPS, you? :p

I don't disable these threat mitigations either. Not because I'm worried about my system, but because I can't/don't want to be tasked with playing in the minutia/maintaining non updated OSs for little gains (for my uses).

IIRC similar tests have already been run, at least for threat mitigations so I'm not sure the end result from this vid is new(?). :thup:

Not really the issue of noticing or not, and he clearly said that most games simply didn't work because of drivers or DX12 (backwards compatibility is another problem if you DO use older versions) but we don't know if the underlying issue is threat mitigations or all the extra telemetry or simply bad coding (patches on top of patches) or all of the above and more ?

I'd be curious to know how many applications require the full SAC version of Win10 vs can work on the LTSC branch.

Windows has so much more stuff going on inside of it than it did 5 years ago, included skype, meet now, updated defender, all kinda of stuff. I'm willing to bet the biggest hit, atleast cpu wise, is that defender scans everything that is being executed, you can see that in task manager when running just about anything, though with modern hexa core cpu's that shouldnt be too much of a hit. Windows 10 is using more resources at idle now than it was 5 years ago as well, when i first swapped from 7 to win10 it used less memory at initial boot than win7 (think under 1GB)... now i dont think I can make it past the home screen without using like 2GB lol... my pc sitting idle after booting uses 4GB.

That’s another thing, I use Stop10 to disable pretty much everything from telemetry to Defender (use MalwareBytes when needed), and it still uses 1.5gb+ on a fresh install from LTSC to Pro. It’s understandable for as OS to bloat as it’s patched but I wasn’t really expecting FPS loss outside of the obvious Spectre issues.

Not really the issue of noticing or not, and he clearly said that most games simply didn't work because of drivers or DX12 (backwards compatibility is another problem if you DO use older versions) but we don't know if the underlying issue is threat mitigations or all the extra telemetry or simply bad coding (patches on top of patches) or all of the above and more ?
Surely it is a combination of all those things (what WageX said too). Minus threat mitigations, that's how I remember previous versions of Windows behaving...they typically didn't get faster over time, but negligibly slower. In this case, we have Intel/AMD threat mitigations that appear to be the biggest cuplrit.

There are vids/articles out testing the versions of windows and showing performance with and without threat mitigation. In rare cases it's notable, mostly a couple % otherwise. With Windows, unless I'm benchmarking competitively for the 'bot, it 'is what it is' to me. :)

Video was on an x58 platform, I assume you would see an increase in performance on a newer Ryzen CPU since windows has improved how it uses/schedules work on different CCX's.

He stated he had issues with newer platforms including the 10900k because of drivers (lack of support ?).

Back