• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OMG Vantec Tornado !!! help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Grab one of these: http://www.svc.com/4to3ad.html
You can probably find them much cheaper than that, those are just the first I could find. Note that the 3-pin connector must be the block, not open pins.

svcompucycle_2179_226921185

this is perfect.. now to narrow down which controller i want to buy Now......hmmmmmmm decisions...

This one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811995016

Cheap & high-capacity per channel. I painted over the LED's in mine, though it's not expressly necessary.

this is on of the ones on my list ... trying to pick now :screwy:

i think i have it narrowed down to

Sunbeam PL-RS-3 Rheosmart 3 http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/Rheosmart/3.html
or
http://www.sunbeamtech.com/PRODUCTS/RHK-EX/Rheobus-Extreme.html

or
http://www.nzxt.com/new/products/fan_control/sentry_mesh

the difference i see is the "smart" feature on the rheosmat which allows control fromPWM-enabled motherboard? which i dont think i need or want that or know?? lol

Attachments

• fan compares.jpg
    fan compares.jpg
    213.3 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
The Tornado is 12.5W.

It's been a long time since I took an electronics class... Will the Scythe controller be able to handle a 12.5W fan at all, considering its maximum capacity is 1A? I know voltage is variable, but can a >1A motor run on <1A current?

The Tornado is 12.5W.

It's been a long time since I took an electronics class... Will the Scythe controller be able to handle a 12.5W fan at all, considering its maximum capacity is 1A? I know voltage is variable, but can a >1A motor run on <1A current?

i have the 92mm Tornado box in my hands right here..

it says

Rated Voltage: 12V
Rated Power: 15.6W
Rated Current: 1.0A
Fan Speed: 4800 RPM
Air Flow: 4800 RPM
Noise: 55 dBA
Bearing: Double Ball Bearing

Made in Taiwan

VER 2.0

Model: TD9238H

now according to VANTEC website here:
http://www.vantecusa.com/en/product/view_detail/115
it says

Model: TD9238H
Dimension: 92 x 92 x 38 (mm)
Weight: 187g
Rated Voltage: 12 V
Rated Power: 12.5 W
Rated Current: 1.0 AMP
Fan Speed: 4800 RPM
Air Flow: 119 CFM
Noise Level: 56.4 dBA
Bearing System: Double Ball Bearing

11-999-613-03.JPG

AS you can see the RATED POWER is Different from Vantec Website to the Actualy Packaging?? :shrug: :shrug:

this is a pic from my box:

Attachments

• 92mm Vantec Tornado 2.jpg
    92mm Vantec Tornado 2.jpg
    280.7 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
AS you can see the RATED POWER is Different from Vantec Website to the Actualy Packaging?? :shrug: :shrug:

In both cases, the numbers don't match up.

To be 1.0A and 15.6W, it would need 15.6V, while the line is only 12V. It should be 1.3A if the 15.6W rating is correct, or 1.05A if the 12.5W rating is correct.

To be 1.0A and 15.6W, it would need 15.6V, while the line is only 12V. It should be 1.3A if the 15.6W rating is correct, or 1.05A if the 12.5W rating is correct.

sorry this is all over my head... i emailed vantec with the pic of the box askign them.. i did notice the bottom right of the box says VER 2.0... so we shall see i guess..? :bang head

Personally, I would be looking at getting different fans. You can find better fans that will fit more what you are looking for in terms of noise vs performance. Even at lower voltages, I find Vantec Tornados to be loud in comparison to the performance provided by a much quieter fan.

Personally, I would be looking at getting different fans. You can find better fans that will fit more what you are looking for in terms of noise vs performance. Even at lower voltages, I find Vantec Tornados to be loud in comparison to the performance provided by a much quieter fan.

at this point i agree 100% but i already have them and i dont have time for all that RMA stuff....
just curious what exact 92mm and 80mm brand and model fans would; you go with?

Panaflo is what I'd get. Good bearings, great quality and come in a variety of version (slow to super high speed).

Panaflo is what I'd get. Good bearings, great quality and come in a variety of version (slow to super high speed).

never even heard of them before??? seems EVERYONE recommends different brand of fans...............:facepalm:

at this point i agree 100% but i already have them and i dont have time for all that RMA stuff....
just curious what exact 92mm and 80mm brand and model fans would; you go with?

I don't really have a recommendations as it has been quite a while since I have shopped for fans but I know there are plenty of guys around here who can provide decent, well informed recommendations.

never even heard of them before??? seems EVERYONE recommends different brand of fans...............:facepalm:

That is probably because it isn't so much about brand of fan but type of fan and what sort of bearings it has. It is all about the CFM and db ratings.

Probably accounting for maximum power. As in, inrush current. That's higher than nominal operating current.

Probably accounting for maximum power. As in, inrush current. That's higher than nominal operating current.

:escape: you lost me here..

ok all this aside.. im going to just keep the 92mm vantec and the 80mm vantec so i need to figure out what controller will work 100% and if i need any Adapters.. this is becoming more complicated in my mind than it needs to be.

Last edited:
It can take more power to start a fan spinning than it "rates" at continuous full speed use. This is not usually listed.
Panaflo is "Panasonic" design.
Silverstone has a three knob fan contoller ($22 on ebay, find a connector you can use and free shipping over $25), each knob cantrol two fans, fits in 3.5 inch bay.
Check specs with silverstone.

Again, I vote for one of the Sunbeam rheobus models.

If you were going to go with a different fan, I second the recommendation for Panoflo. You can find them on sidewinder or performance-pcs.

i would but i dont want to pay for and deal wit hthe whole rma process.. its not like the Vantec is so terrible.. it will work if controlled properly.

which one of the sunbeam do you recommend and i still havent gotten a straight answer if i need 1 of these for both of my vantec fans?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/svcompucycle_2179_226921185

Again, I vote for one of the Sunbeam rheobus models.

If you were going to go with a different fan, I second the recommendation for Panoflo. You can find them on sidewinder or performance-pcs.

It's been years since Ive used high speed fans but the sunbeams were the only ones of handling multiple Delta VHEs so +1 to that reccomendation

i would but i dont want to pay for and deal wit hthe whole rma process.. its not like the Vantec is so terrible.. it will work if controlled properly.

which one of the sunbeam do you recommend and i still havent gotten a straight answer if i need 1 of these for both of my vantec fans?
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/svcompucycle_2179_226921185

I'd go with the 6-knob version incase you need or want to control more fans later, and you'll need one of those adapters for each of the Tornadoes (the sunbeam units have 3-pin outputs).

I'd go with the 6-knob version incase you need or want to control more fans later, and you'll need one of those adapters for each of the Tornadoes (the sunbeam units have 3-pin outputs).

do you prefer

Rheosmart

or

Rheobus-Extreme

i see the come with a bag of cords

11-995-016-11.jpg
i beleive the 4 pin connecter on the FAN is for power, and it has a 3 pin connector for rpm detection? on the vantec tornado so what exactly would that adapter do for me?

once again thank you so much for all of your help!!:D

Back