• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On board audio and front panel won't work

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Jeclub

Registered
Today my after market cooler came in so I decided to mount it. While mounting it I found this blue plastic square and removed it, when my build was complete it would not boot so then I realised that square had something to do with cmos apparently if in position 1,2 ur system will boot if in 2,3 cmos reset. I know what cmos is, but the way it works on my Asus p877-v pro mobo was a little new to me. I had the pin connecting 1,2 removed for 20 minutes and since the rebuild my on board and front panel audio won't function. I have went into bios and even tried switching my hd audio to ac97 (for the front panel), I reinstalled newest drivers and bios is up to date and was reset to factory defaults several times. So my question is did that pin being removed for 20 mins damage my on board audio and how can I fix it w/o getting a sound card?

Are the front panel jacks from the case actually plugged into the proper header? Some USB headers look similar.

Z

yeah they are :) I checked and I even looked at the manual to make sure I wasn't doing exactly that.

You might try checking in the settings. Perhaps the system is simply not 'detecting' that you plugged in something to the front panels. Kind of a long shot but also check another pair of headphones or mic if possible.

Z

PS: Simply removing that jumper will not harm your system. You may not be able to save your BIOS settings but it shouldnt damage anything

Yeah I went through a few headsets, mics and headphones none of them work on neither the front panel or back and I went through my settings and the problem simply is the fact that my computer doesn't detect my front panel or back I know this because they light up when detected I have went through several driver changes and now reverted back to the old one. What really stumbles me is I didn't do any software changes, only really the cmos thing and yeah I assumed it wouldn't do anything to my on-board audio but I read somewhere that it "could have" so I wanted to make sure. Thanks for the help though :)

Can over clocking effect on board audio because the only thing I did recently is overclock my 2500k from 4ghz to 4.5ghz and changed the vcore to 1.34 (I have a "bad" chip). Everything is else other than the gpu is at stock.

Nothing you did should have effected the audio. But anything is possible so who knows maybe the audio died. Does the drivers see the audio system? Do you have any sound at all? Try unplugging the front panel audio connectors and see if the back panels will then work.

Z

Yeah when I unplug front panel it says I have no audio what so ever it detected front panel but the front panel jacks wouldn't work and it never has detected the back panel well since two days ago when it was all working fine. It's a real shame cause it's a pretty high end mobo and the onboard sound wasn't bad. :S

Yeah, same issue, I've had 2 front panel USB ports fail (along with the devices connected to them :( ) and the onboard Audio die simply from raising the Vcore from 1.492 to 1.512.

It sounds to me that when re setting the cmos the bios default for the audio out put is set to disabled. Have you checked in the BIOS if there is a setting that was set to disabled?

Yeah probably was the vcore I had it on 1.135 and then ramped it up to 1.34. In one go then adjusted it. Luckily the devices plugged into my usb ports didn't get damaged and all my ports on front and back still work :) I just got a soundcard and it's great now. I was going to get one anyways, but the on board audio was pretty good on that mobo it was decent. I went through bios and there really weren't that many options especially with the on board audio. I also did update my bios and drivers.

Back