• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On-Board Audio Issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Greywalker

I have an old Asus M2N SLI board and my audio card took a dump. It's on RMA w/Asus but I'd like to have some sound until I get the card back. ASUS doesn't support windows 7 64 bit on this older model so drivers from them are useless. A friend advised me many boards used Realtek for on board sound, even if this isn't true it's worth a shot I thought but I am unsure which drivers I should use from their site. Since when I am up against the wall I usually find the answer here I am bothering you poor fellows. I currently have a Turtle Beach 5.1 headset and I have a little sound but it's very poor quality and low.

What are some suggestions I may want to consider?

If your using Windows 7 32bit, try downloading the vista drivers or if there are none, download the Windows XP ones, right click, go to properties, and then have it run as Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode which should do the trick for installing the driver.

Go to Asus' website, research what audio chip the board uses, then go to the chip maker's website and download/install the appropriate win 7-64 bit driver. Seems like most board manufacturers do use Realtek chips but don't assume that. Besides, there are many different Realtek auido chips that have come out over the years.

I'll warn you, Realtek has the slowest servers of any download sight I have ever used. They desperately need to add more servers. It has always been slower than the seven year itch!

I am waiting to hear back from tech support but thus far any attempt to install drivers for my chipset C-Media 6501 audio utility has failed because they don't support Win 7, let alone 64 bit :( So... I'm screwed unless I purchase a newer mobo?

I've heard, though have no direct experience, that most Vista drivers work for Win 7. I'm sure there are exceptions and yours may be one of them but it can't hurt to give it a shot ...

Tech support said I was screwed w/o an external audio card but I like your idea QuietIce, I'll find out shortly.

The M2N SLI uses uses the Soundmax ADI AD1988b onboard sound.
All the data I find, including my user manual, states I have C-Media 6501.

Thanks for all your help! Sadly the install attempt failed, received the same error when I tried to install those drivers, which states the program doesn't support my OS. Guess I will have to wait for my card to be returned but I see the deep need to replace my mobo for other reasons as well. :cool:

I always try to keep hardware and software in roughly the same generation. It takes a lot of motivation for me to upgrade the one without the other and there's always a catch somewhere. It's one of the things I constantly argued about at work where the situation was somewhat reversed. IT kept wanting to upgrade the hardware but the other departments, including ours, would then run into problems because IT's budget never included updates for our software. Often we were left running on old rig off-line because those IT idiots couldn't find a way to keep the old OS ... :(

Back