• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One heck of a mod/project.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
there is not a clear line-o-sight. I can get a clear shot except for 1 house thats right behind his.

I think it is still worth trying becuase you never know. I think I'll go to hardware store tonight and by tomorrow we should know...

Shelnutt2 said:
Homeowners

Heres a way to get your poles....buy two flag poles...run up two American flags...(and stick your antena on top of the pole)

Again no homeowners going to say anything about a flagpole with the american flag up....less they're commies :p

Andor said:
Heres a way to get your poles....buy two flag poles...run up two American flags...(and stick your antena on top of the pole)

Again no homeowners going to say anything about a flagpole with the american flag up....less they're commies :p

Well they might not say anything but it still is against the rules we agreed too when one buys a house in my neighborhood. I think I might be able to get permission to put a directional antenna up on the back of the house, and then put on on my friends house. I believe that way we could get a clear shot.

I'm not sure of the legaility of this either.

I'm pretty sure sharing Cable TV is illegal (two different homes).

So it could be illegal to share an internet connection (not under the same bill/ and ISP not aware of it).

jcw122 said:
I'm not sure of the legaility of this either.

I'm pretty sure sharing Cable TV is illegal (two different homes).

So it could be illegal to share an internet connection (not under the same bill/ and ISP not aware of it).

It is, read your TOS.

It's really not worth the risk, both of setting up the antennas and p**sing people off, and getting caught broadcasting your net and losing it.

Help him pay for it, or tell em to get a job. :rolleyes:

Slayer2003 said:
It is, read your TOS.

It's really not worth the risk, both of setting up the antennas and p**sing people off, and getting caught broadcasting your net and losing it.

Help him pay for it, or tell em to get a job. :rolleyes:

I see what your saying, well I still might spend $10 just to see if it works..

http://tranzeo.com/index.php?section_id=40&sub_section_id=41&sub_sub_section_id=92
The first one.

There you go. I've used these for 5+ kilometer links. Work great. Pricey, yes. Outdoor, weatherproofed? yes. Reliable? yes. I used to work at a wireless ISP, and this is what we used. Our main tower was on a mountin 24 km away from town!!! Of course, this only worked because of clear line of sight. For you, you would actually have to turn the power down - way down - to use it, or you will saturate the radio.

For the short distance you are doing, a regular D_Link router with an outdoor antenna may do as well.

Either way, if you can afford the equipment, this is a very, very easy shot to do.

Stoanhart said:
http://tranzeo.com/index.php?section_id=40&sub_section_id=41&sub_sub_section_id=92
The first one.

There you go. I've used these for 5+ kilometer links. Work great. Pricey, yes. Outdoor, weatherproofed? yes. Reliable? yes. I used to work at a wireless ISP, and this is what we used. Our main tower was on a mountin 24 km away from town!!! Of course, this only worked because of clear line of sight. For you, you would actually have to turn the power down - way down - to use it, or you will saturate the radio.

For the short distance you are doing, a regular D_Link router with an outdoor antenna may do as well.

Either way, if you can afford the equipment, this is a very, very easy shot to do.

Wow that is expensive. I think I'll just try the cantenna first. Tomorrow I'm going to try and find a n connector, that's all I need.

DDR-PIII said:
how about pre-n ?

I already have a 108 Extreme G D-link 624 Router. I think I've figuered out how to do this. Tomorrow afternoon I'll post back with results.

OK guys I need some more help. I've been looking fro an "N" adapter but i did not see any at either Radio Shack, Bestbuy , or a local hardware store (Ace).

I was re-reading the thread here about making a cantenna but I was confused. Exactly what adapter due I need for my cantenna? Also how am I going to attach it to the router? As stated I have a D-Link 624 (revision 'C')

about the legality, it cant be illegal to share a network alone, so long as his friend doesnt connect to the internet, they should be fine. just stick to fileswaping/laning. Although how is the internet company gonna find out anyway...

AlucardCasull said:
about the legality, it cant be illegal to share a network alone, so long as his friend doesnt connect to the internet, they should be fine. just stick to fileswaping/laning. Although how is the internet company gonna find out anyway...

Yeah, but anyway, here is how my father saw it. How can it be illegal? We are paying for 5 MB a month. does it matter who's using it? The more people that use it the slower it will be. So in the end we are still paying for only 5 MB.

Pretty sure if your read the ISP agreement it will state in some way that you are not supposed
to share your I-net connection with other people. Otherwise a whole apartment building could
piggyback off one wireless router. With speeds reduced by the number of connections of course.
But I could be wrong.

Like AlucardCasull said, networking and/or LANing is another matter.

Last edited:
Susquehannock said:
Pretty sure if your read the ISP agreement it will state in some way that you are not supposed
to share your I-net connection with other people. Otherwise a whole apartment building could
piggyback off one wireless router. With speeds reduced by the number of connections of course.
But I could be wrong.

Like AlucardCasull said, networking and/or LANing is another matter.

yaeh *cough* thats the purpose for lan only *cough*.

Anyhow, I still need help. With the cantenna, I'm not sure about the n-adapter and how you attach it to the router.

Well from CompUSA I just bought for $30 a Cantenna they sell that was on sale. It is suppose to get 12 DBi strength. I am also using a US Robotics wireless USB adapter (MaxG 125 mb) for my laptop atm, and as I walk outside and down the street I start loosing signal about 1/3 the way there. Is is running on 54mb though. How do I tell the Laptop to use 11mb wireless 'B'? Its got the US robotic software installed and XP Pro.

Back