• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

One heck of a mod/project.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
hkgonra said:
You could set your router/ap to only broadcast b.

I can only chose the speed. Alright here is a picture of my router settings screen. What settings should I change for max range?

wirelesssettings2ld.jpg

Last edited:
I used to have a 624 and I know there is another screen. It is the same screen where you setup your WEP/WPA stuff, it will give you an option for b only, g only , or B & G.

hkgonra said:
I used to have a 624 and I know there is another screen. It is the same screen where you setup your WEP/WPA stuff, it will give you an option for b only, g only , or B & G.

You mean this screen.
wirelesssettings23lg.jpg

Edit:

I just updated firmware now I see more options.

Edited the picture above also.

Last edited:
No , not that screen.

I am downloading the manual now.
Give me a minute.

OK, I was wrong, I must have been thinking about the 614.
On that one on the wireless page you can select the speed and force B only.

Last edited:
hkgonra said:
No , not that screen.

I am downloading the manual now.
Give me a minute.

OK, I was wrong, I must have been thinking about the 614.
On that one on the wireless page you can select the speed and force B only.

I update the picture. I mixed up my links.

AS far as I can see. I am not able to force 'B'. I am able to force 'g' or disable super 'g' but not 'b'. I am able to set the speed in the one screen. Not sure if that would change it to 'b' or just slow it down.

Ah guys I'm so close. I have signal all the way to a corner of his property. That's is going from being only ~4 feet in the air on a self half way through the house (it by my front door). We are going to buy some cable so be can move the cantenna into the attic.

It is possible to get this done, with only 1 router, 1 antenna and 1 USB wireless adapter.

you have the cantenna in an attic? normally you want a clear path (meaning having it outside would be desirable). i do not know of what cantenna you have and whether or not it can be outside or not. if you can barely get signal, you will need to factor in that with a weak signal at best, you will be dropping a lot of packets and hurting speed pretty badly.

try a cantenna on the highest point of your place, and one on the highest point of his.

Its worth a shot =P

~ Gos

Ah so it all came to an end Monday.

Sprint called up my friend and offered local + long distance + DSL (1.5mb) for $40 a month. The took that deal.

I think if we would of put it in our attic we might have gotten a signal. Before we just had it sitting on the ground outside the window at the front of my house. It was going through 3 houses that way. So for anyone else that's looking to do this. It is possible. I had a 12DBi antenna. You probably should have a wireless router if not an antenna at your friends house to boost the signal strength.

How about a tought piece of string from roof to roof with a couple of tin cans? Seems pretty cool to me. Gosh, lets build a tree house.

hmm, interesting stuff in this thread. keep em coming! but i don think you need broadband to play over the internet, even though it is better. but so many peoplke have broadband now, its no longer a luxury, its a nessecity!

Back